Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is now only 3 months to go before the release of Hirsute Hippo.

Currently I appreciate the excellent progress of Hirsute Hippo development. I wish to thank acheron and his associates for the support and advice as they oversea the porting of KDE to work on Kubuntu 21.04. Also, thank you for the superb updates from those working on KDE Plasma, Frameworks, Applications and Qt.

As like many others, I have the Pre-release updates activated since I did my first install and these have not destabilized Hippo. When compared with my experience from the development of previous version of Kubuntu, this version is the most reliable. This has been achieved during the limitations in contact and travel caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

By now everybody should be able to speedily install and test Kubuntu 21.04 after the reason for the delays in loading was identified by acheron. To show the progress over the past month, I have entered the current System Information on my system as well as that reported a month ago on the 22nd December. This is shown in the table below.

Last Month 3 Months to go
    KDE Plasma Version 5.20.4 5.20.5
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.77.0 5.78.0
    QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
    Kernel Version 5.8.0.34-generic 5.10.0-12-generic
    With the exception of QT Version, progress has been made in all other major areas. From acheron #59, we can look forward to an update of the Plasma Version number to 5.21 by next month.

The above Kernel Version update is significant. This was not straightforward for me as I have one Laptop with an NVIDIA card and associated with the driver update there was also a Kernel update to 5.10.0-12. On my other Laptop, I have an AMD card and to get the Kernel update to 5.10, I had to use Muon Package Manager to install the 5.10.0-12 kernel – it was not an automatic update?

So all is resolved now and I hope all of you can cope with the many updates that come each day. I am very satisfied with Hirsute Hippo and appreciate all the work behind making this a great system at this mid point stage of development.

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
      Will 5.21 find its way into Kubuntu 21.04? I'm excited about this new Plasma!
      Yes. In fact the 5.21 beta is on its way right now...

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
      By now everybody should be able to speedily install and test Kubuntu 21.04 after the reason for the delays in loading was identified by acheron.
      The delay will hopefully be fixed in the next version of Ubiquity. The installer team have committed the fix I asked for.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Kubuntu 21.04 looking good as it is. Looking forward to 5.21. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Yes. In fact the 5.21 beta is on its way right now...
          You really weren't kidding! When I got up this morning in the land down-under, I had updates to Plasma version 5.20.90, ie the 5.21 beta. Thanks very much.

The delay will hopefully be fixed in the next version of Ubiquity. The installer team have committed the fix I asked for.
          I just tested the latest download and it took 4 min 15 secs to display the Try Kubuntu screen. This is certainly much more acceptable than the hours previously taken!

While a wait for just over 4 min is not good press, it will be great when the fix to Ubiquity that you asked for is done.

Comment

Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#5FD700]❯[/COLOR] [COLOR=#18B218]neofetch[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]           `.:/ossyyyysso/:.[/B][/COLOR]               [COLOR=#5454FF][B]chris[/B][/COLOR]@[COLOR=#5454FF][B]kub-2104[/B][/COLOR]  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]        .:oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyo:`[/B][/COLOR]           --------------  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]      -oyyyyyyyo[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyysyyyyo-[/B][/COLOR]         [COLOR=#5454FF][B]OS[/B][/COLOR]: Kubuntu Hirsute Hippo (development branch) x86_64  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]    -syyyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]oyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dmMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyys-[/B][/COLOR]       [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Kernel[/B][/COLOR]: 5.8.0-36-generic  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]   oyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMMMMMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyo[/B][/COLOR]     [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Uptime[/B][/COLOR]: 9 mins  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B] `oyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syysoooooo[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyo`[/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Packages[/B][/COLOR]: 1965 (dpkg)  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B] oyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]sssssyyyo[/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Shell[/B][/COLOR]: zsh 5.8  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]-yyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyyyyyyyyyyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyy-[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Resolution[/B][/COLOR]: 1920x1080  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]oyyyysoo[/B][/COLOR][B]dMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyo[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]DE[/B][/COLOR]: Plasma 5.20.90  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysosyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]WM[/B][/COLOR]: KWin  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Theme[/B][/COLOR]: Breeze [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]oyyyyysos[/B][/COLOR][B]dy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyo[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Icons[/B][/COLOR]: breeze [Plasma], breeze [GTK2/3]  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]-yyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyyyyyyyyyyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyy-[/B][/COLOR]   [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Terminal[/B][/COLOR]: konsole  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B] oyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyyyyyyyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]oyyyoyyyo[/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]CPU[/B][/COLOR]: Intel i5-4590 (4) @ 3.700GHz  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B] `oyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyoooooo[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]oyyyyyyyyo[/B][/COLOR]     [COLOR=#5454FF][B]GPU[/B][/COLOR]: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]   oyyysyyoyyyys[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMMMMMMMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyyyo[/B][/COLOR]      [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Memory[/B][/COLOR]: 993MiB / 7916MiB  
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]    -syyyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]syyyys-[/B][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]      -oyyyyyyy[/B][/COLOR][B]dMMy[/B][COLOR=#5454FF][B]yyyyyysosyyyyo-[/B][/COLOR]            [COLOR=#b21818]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#18b218]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#b26818]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#1818b2]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#b218b2]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#18b2b2]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#b2b2b2]   [/COLOR] 
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]        ./oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyo/.[/B][/COLOR]           [COLOR=#686868]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff5454]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#54ff54]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#ffff54]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff54ff]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#54ffff]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#FFFFFF]   [/COLOR] 
            [COLOR=#5454FF][B]           `.:/oosyyyysso/:.`[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#080808]  [/COLOR][COLOR=#b2b2b2][/COLOR][COLOR=#e4e4e4]  [/COLOR][COLOR=#eeeeee][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#e4e4e4] [/COLOR][COLOR=#1818B2][/COLOR]                                                                                                                                        [COLOR=#18b218] ✔ [/COLOR]

[/FONT]

Comment

Wasn't sure if I was on 5.21beta, but apparently 5.20.90 is beta. I like it!
              Boot Info Script

Comment

You really weren't kidding! When I got up this morning in the land down-under, I had updates to Plasma version 5.20.90, ie the 5.21 beta. Thanks very much.
                You are welcome!

I just tested the latest download and it took 4 min 15 secs to display the Try Kubuntu screen. This is certainly much more acceptable than the hours previously taken!

While a wait for just over 4 min is not good press, it will be great when the fix to Ubiquity that you asked for is done.
                The fix is done now. Please try the latest ISO.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I tried this one dated "2021-01-26 05:51 ", and it still takes about a minute to bring up the choice screen.
                  I stand corrected. The choice comes up almost Instantaneously! Finally. Thanks! @acheon
                  Last edited by verndog; Jan 26, 2021, 07:06 PM.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

You are welcome!

I tried the latest download on my 9 Year old ASUS and it presented the "Try Kubuntu" screen in just under 1 minute. This is an excellent result and I am sure it will encourage many to now try it out. Well Done

This morning I saw this article which I doubt will come to pass. It is at https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/01/u...se-kde-plasma/.

Comment

This morning I saw this article which I doubt will come to pass. It is at https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/01/u...se-kde-plasma/.
                      Kubuntu is Ubuntu official distro, so the author thinks Ubuntu will also offer KDE instead of Gnome. His research and knowledge is lacking.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

I have two Laptops with Kubuntu 21.04. One is a 9 year old AUSU with an NVIDIA card and the other is a 2 1/2 year old HP Spectra with an AMD video card and HD graphics. Both have external monitors with the HP having a UHD monitor.

The ASUS System Settings > Display Configuration works perfectly in the relative positions and the resolution of both displays is HD.

The HP SPectra with the UHD screens does not lend itself to getting the relative positions other than by trial and error. The graphic below, using Spectacle > Full Screen (All Monitors), shows the Display Configuration to get the correct location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsp_Working.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	645029

As you can see, the Display Configuration screens have to be separated to get the correct display.

If I change to have the screens adjacent to each other, I get the displays overlapping as shown below.

Name:	Dsp_Overlap.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	645030

I tend to prefer aligning the screens along the bottom edge. The display below shows the end result.

Name:	Dsp_Chop_Overlap.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	645031

As you can see, the display of the Laptop and External Monitor shows something is in error in System Settings > Display Configuration.

I hope this problem is easy to fix as UHD monitors are now more frequent and for 21.04 to only work on old hardware is not good press.
                        Last edited by NoWorries; Feb 14, 2021, 04:24 AM. Reason: Corrected HP display resolution from HD to UHD

Comment

I've been running 21.04 for quite a while now and haven't yet experienced this issue with the external monitor. My laptop had an Intel graphics card.

About the only issue I have had, just started in the past couple days: Discover all of a sudden force closes every time. The Discover notification of updates works fine, Muon works without issue.

I have two Laptops with Kubuntu 21.04. One is a 9 year old AUSU with an NVIDIA card and the other is a 2 1/2 year old HP Spectra with an AMD video card and HD graphics. Both have external monitors with the HP having a HD monitor.

The ASUS System Settings > Display Configuration works perfectly in the relative positions and resolution of the two displays.

The HP SPectra with the HD screens does not lend itself to getting the relative positions other than by trial and error. The graphic below, using Spectacle > Full Screen (All Monitors), shows the Display Configuration to get the correct location.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9278[/ATTACH]

As you can see, the Display Configuration screens have to be separated to get the correct display.

If I change to have the screens adjacent to each other, I get the displays overlapping as shown below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9279[/ATTACH]

I tend to prefer aligning the screens along the bottom edge. The display below shows the end result.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9280[/ATTACH]

As you can see, the display of the Laptop and External Monitor shows something is in error in System Settings > Display Configuration.

I hope this problem is easy to fix as HD monitors are now more frequent and for 21.04 to only work on old hardware is not good press.

Comment

Originally posted by MeMyself View Post
                            I've been running 21.04 for quite a while now and haven't yet experienced this issue with the external monitor. My laptop had an Intel graphics card.

About the only issue I have had, just started in the past couple days: Discover all of a sudden force closes every time. The Discover notification of updates works fine, Muon works without issue.
                            Glad to hear from you, but you didn't mention the resolution of your displays. I only have trouble with Laptop and External monitor UHD displays, ie 3840x2160. An alternative definition is a 4K display. Is this the resolution of your displays?
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Feb 13, 2021, 11:07 PM. Reason: Corrected the Display Definition

Comment

I run both at 1080, so I can't compare to the resolution you just mentioned.

Glad to hear from you, but you didn't mention the resolution of your displays. I only have trouble with Laptop and External monitor HD displays, ie 3840x2160. Is this the resolution of your displays?

Comment

Sorry to say that I had my definition of HD wrong. In fact my HP laptop has a UHD display and all my troubles are related to the UHD resolution. I have edited my posts #71 and #73 to fix this error and I hope that the reason for the UHD problems is easy to fix.

I have noticed that System Settings > Display and Monitor no longer lets me easily change the position of my displays as before, so something has changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X