Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seem to have run into an update bug of some form. Discover pops up the Update Notification, but there is no update available when checked.

Running apt update show two updates available:

Code:
    plasma-workspace
    sddm-theme-breeze
    If I run the upgrade:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Reading package lists... Done[/COLOR]
    Building dependency tree        
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
     appmenu-gtk-module-common appmenu-gtk3-module dconf-cli ibus ibus-data ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 libappmenu-gtk3-parser0
     libgps26 libksysguardsensorfaces1 libksysguardsensors1 libnotificationmanager1 libqalculate20-data plasma-thunderbolt
     python3-ibus-1.0 qml-module-org-kde-ksysguard qml-module-org-kde-quickcharts
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     kinfocenter kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-settings-desktop latte-dock libqalculate20 plasma-desktop plasma-widgets-addons
     plasma-workspace sddm-theme-breeze
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 59.6 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    [/FONT]
    As seen above, the packages will not be updated, but the process if continued removes a number of necessary packages. Since I am testing 20.10, I proceeded anyway, as I Timeshift prior to any decision like this and wanted to test the outcome.

Upon the completion of this "update" that removes the listed packages and a reboot, I get the login screen that states that Breeze is missing and cannot login.

Thanks to Timeshift, it's just a few minutes of lost time to restore. So as usual be aware and pay attention to what will happen as a result of accepting update processes. Make those consistent backups.

Comment

Yesterday, I had exactly the same experience as you when I did:
      Code:
      sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade
      I did not proceed, but used synaptic to upgrade the ones in the list to be upgraded.

After doing that, I then used synaptic to do a full upgrade to see what would happen and fortunately it only proposed to install an additional 2 packages and all is now well.

I suspect that this problem was caused by a dependency error in one of the packages which resulted in the list to remove vital packages. This is the first time I have encountered this problem with Groovy. I certainly have experienced this with previous pre-released versions.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        Yesterday, I had exactly the same experience as you when I did:
        Code:
        sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade
        I did not proceed, but used synaptic to upgrade the ones in the list to be upgraded.

After doing that, I then used synaptic to do a full upgrade to see what would happen and fortunately it only proposed to install an additional 2 packages and all is now well.

I suspect that this problem was caused by a dependency error in one of the packages which resulted in the list to remove vital packages. This is the first time I have encountered this problem with Groovy. I certainly have experienced this with previous pre-released versions.
        I've only had one other issue comparable on Groovy, but that was at the very beginning of the release. I lost all the System Settings modules. Since, no other issues, until this one. But like you, have experienced similar in previous releases. I was able to upgrade the two through Muon

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          I suspect that this problem was caused by a dependency error in one of the packages which resulted in the list to remove vital packages.
          Not a dependency error. Just the result of using PROPOSED again, where packages may not all be built against newly updated library versions. This sort of breakage is to be expected when using that.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

It is now 3 months to the release of Groovy Gorilla.

I have noticed a few comments that this distribution is worthy of being an LTS. Given that this is not the case, this distribution continues to have excellent stability. I am still staying with the Pre-release updates with other repositories selected and tolerating the very occasional upgrade anomalies.

My current System Information compared with a month ago is as follows.

Last Month 3 Months to go
            KDE Plasma Version 5.18.92 5.19.3
            KDE Frameworks Version 5.71.0 5.72.0
            QT Version 5.14.2 5.14.2
            Kernel Version 5.4.0-40-generic 5.4.0-42-generic
            As you can see in this list, how great Groovy is progressing on all major fronts.

My previous Groovy Grumps have been resolved. My internal microphone is working very well and Kdenlive is working extremely well to my satisfaction.

When I see updates to Wayland, I investigate to see if it has got its lack of memory resolved. I find that on reboot, it does not restore the desktop, no matter how many applications I leave on the desktop before I Shut Down.

I am very satisfied with Groovy and very pleased with progress at this mid-term stage of development.

Comment

I have had the bootstrap ppa ie:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/bootstrap
              on my sacrificial Laptop which has an Nvidia video card. This morning I was surprised to see the 5.8 kernel install and working with the Nvidia card. My system now has:
              Code:
              :~$ uname -r
              5.8.0-11-generic
              I had been monitoring the site https://launchpad.net/~canonical-ker..._filter=groovy which shows that there are currently 445 build failures. But these are for more advanced kernels.

I then decide to add this ppa to the Laptop that I use mostly frequently and the 5.8 kernel was also installed on it. So I am very happy with the 5.8 kernel and it is performing very well and my desktop is a little bit more responsive.

Comment

20200731 iso

Just got it as a regular update, don't know if in Proposed? There was 184 packages yesterday hidden in Proposed after a fresh install of 2020731 ISO. KDE 5.19.4 was in the box and it is a perfect ISO.
                Code:
                dpkg --list | grep linux-image
                ii  linux-image-5.4.0-42-generic                              5.4.0-42.46                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                ii  linux-image-5.8.0-12-generic                              5.8.0-12.13                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                ii  linux-image-generic                                       5.8.0.12.14                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
                ii  linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800rc7daily20200731-generic 5.8.0-050800rc7daily20200731.202007302209   amd64        Linux kernel image for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
                Under test in Proposed probably to patch the hole issue. All good!
                Code:
                dpkg --list | grep grub
                ii  grub-common                                               2.04-1ubuntu26.2                            amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
                ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin                                        2.04-1ubuntu26.2                            amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 modules)
                ii  grub-efi-amd64-signed                                     1.147+2.04-1ubuntu26.2                      amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version, signed)
                ii  grub-gfxpayload-lists                                     0.7                                         amd64        GRUB gfxpayload blacklist
                ii  grub-pc                                                   2.04-1ubuntu26.2                            amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
                ii  grub-pc-bin                                               2.04-1ubuntu26.2                            amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS modules)
                ii  grub2-common                                              2.04-1ubuntu26.2                            amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)
                New warning in the installer: the presence of another OS is detected and we're asked to proceed with the install.

Comment

It's good to see the success of running the 5.8 kernels. I'm now on 5.7.12, as I couldn't seem to get my VPN to connect through terminal on 5.8 RC6. The browser extensions worked fine with connecting, but the actual full connect through terminal would just "spin" and never connect.

Comment

Originally posted by MeMyself View Post
                    It's good to see the success of running the 5.8 kernels. I'm now on 5.7.12, as I couldn't seem to get my VPN to connect through terminal on 5.8 RC6. The browser extensions worked fine with connecting, but the actual full connect through terminal would just "spin" and never connect.
                    Since you mention RC6, I am wondering where you are getting your kernel 5.8 update from.

It looks like you are not using standard or "unsafe" repositories as I could only see v5.8-rc6 in https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=A.

Comment

Bye-bye Kernel 5.4

Kernel 5.8 is out and Groovy is now set for real. Many, many new packages last week, 300+.

The unsigned one boot first, It contains the latest updates. Bye-bye Kernel 5.4:

Code:
                      ii  linux-image-5.8.0-12-generic                  5.8.0-12.13                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                      ii  linux-image-generic                           5.8.0.12.14                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
                      ii  linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800-generic     5.8.0-050800.202008022230                   amd64        Linux kernel image for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
                      https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D

Comment

Mainline Kernel Installer updated with official 5.8. After running updates, which included updates to Wireguard (which the notes seemed to imply kernels not being updated to correctly use Wireguard), I installed the 5.8 and all is running smooth. The issue with not connecting to the vpn through terminal seemed to have been resolved

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                          Kernel 5.8 is out and Groovy is now set for real. Many, many new packages last week, 300+.

The unsigned one boot first, It contains the latest updates. Bye-bye Kernel 5.4:

Code:
                          ii  linux-image-5.8.0-12-generic                  5.8.0-12.13                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          ii  linux-image-generic                           5.8.0.12.14                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
                          ii  linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800-generic     5.8.0-050800.202008022230                   amd64        Linux kernel image for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
                          https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D
                          Kernel 5.8 is now definitely established and continues to be advanced by the superb, excellent and dedicated work of the developers. This is going to be one mother of a distribution when it is released.

You can look forward to another advance in the Kernel 5.8. I have just been updated with another version which gives:
                          Code:
                          rc  linux-image-5.4.0-26-generic                     5.4.0-26.30                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          rc  linux-image-5.4.0-33-generic                     5.4.0-33.37                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          rc  linux-image-5.4.0-40-generic                     5.4.0-40.44                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          rc  linux-image-5.8.0-11-generic                     5.8.0-11.12                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          ii  linux-image-5.8.0-12-generic                     5.8.0-12.13                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          ii  linux-image-5.8.0-13-generic                     5.8.0-13.14                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                          ii  linux-image-generic                              5.8.0.13.15                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
                          As you can see I have been using Groovy since it got out from the starting blocks with all the rc's in the above list.

For me this is a great and solid distribution after passing the half way point of development. Once again, a great job done by all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH .

Comment

The second patch of Grub under test today to address the hole issue in Proposed:

Code:
                            dpkg -l | grep grub
                            ii  grub-common                                            2.04-1ubuntu27                              amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
                            ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin                                     2.04-1ubuntu27                              amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 modules)
                            ii  grub-efi-amd64-signed                                  1.148+2.04-1ubuntu27                        amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version, signed)
                            ii  grub-gfxpayload-lists                                  0.7                                         amd64        GRUB gfxpayload blacklist
                            ii  grub-pc                                                2.04-1ubuntu27                              amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
                            ii  grub-pc-bin                                            2.04-1ubuntu27                              amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS modules)
                            ii  grub2-common                                           2.04-1ubuntu27                              amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)
                            Code:
                            glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
                            OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-c5b2319 2020-08-07 groovy-oibaf-ppa)
                            Code:
                            dpkg -l | grep linux-image
                            ii  linux-image-5.8.0-12-generic                           5.8.0-12.13                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
                            ii  linux-image-generic                                    5.8.0.12.14                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
                            ii  linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800daily20200805-generic 5.8.0-050800daily20200805.202008042206      amd64        Linux kernel image for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
                            ii  linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800daily20200807-generic 5.8.0-050800daily20200807.202008062211      amd64        Linux kernel image for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
                            mokutil --sb
                            SecureBoot disabled
                            All good this week!

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...daily/?C=N;O=D

Comment

20200811 ISO Second Installation

Perfect week again with Proposed on fire (600+ packages).

Apart the wireless combo keyboard-mouse entering the EOL area. I took 4 installations to figure out the high source of disturbances.

Kernel 5.8.16 is in Proposed, same for the previous one dot 12. 5.9-rc1 was out on Sunday and it runs with no incidence since then.

I will miss the HP combo, about 6-7 years old because of the helpful suspend key, no longer available with new keyboards.

Code:
                              ls /lib/modules
                              5.8.0-16-generic  5.9.0-050900rc1-generic
                              All the best,

Comment

It is now 2 months to the release of Groovy Gorilla.

Groovy continues to be as solid as a rock for me and I continue to use it almost 100% of the time. When I use it in public for projection, I never let on that I am using a pre-released system. As those who I deal with are MS Windows adherents, they would be appalled at me doing that.

Now many on this Thread who use pre-released updates, are fully aware of the current progress. Just for the record, the current state of the major features on my system are:

Last Month 2 Months to go
                                KDE Plasma Version 5.19.3 5.19.4
                                KDE Frameworks Version 5.72.0 5.73.0
                                QT Version 5.14.2 5.14.2
                                Kernel Version 5.4.0-42-generic 5.8.0-16-generic
                                In the last month great progress has been made in all applications as well, and it will not be long before the planned 27 August Feature Freeze and the 17 September User Interface freeze occurs.

You will notice that the QT Version has been unchanged for some time now. It is unfortunate that this, in part, is because of a lack of funding. I did notice that QT 5.15 LTS has been released at:
                                https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-5.15-released, the only problem is that it is not yet available for Groovy. Hopefully it will be available by the release of Groovy.

The developers are doing a great job at putting this system together to make this a top notch distribution - well done to all!

Comment

Working...
                                X