This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best CPU in theory?

Not talking about support, but power and openness. x86_64 is a licensing mess, what chip would you like to see see make it? Sparc? ARM? Something based on POWER? Based on Risc-V?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Registered Linux User 545823

I'm an Intel guy, period. All have their pros and cons, so it comes down to personal choice and the hardware one chooses to utilize.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I would love to see more Arm powered Laptop and Desktops.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Snowhog: I'm an Intel guy, period.
        Yep, me, too. There's three decisions that kind of go together: Motherboard -- CPU -- Memory, and some people might toss in power supply, but the first three often have to be compatible, as one factor may constrain another; the power supply may add additional features (surge protection, separate fans, motherboard fans only connectors, and so on. I nail things down somewhat by sticking with Intel on the CPU, and lately I really like ASUS motherboards. Your needs will largely help out a lot in making choices like what CPU to use. If you're a mainstream user (as I am), you usually only have one or two motherboards to look at (say per manufacturer), which ties down the CPU and memory choices. If you're a gamer, well, it get excitingly more complicated, I think.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          I would love to see more Arm powered Laptop and Desktops.
          ARM would be interesting. I would have liked if a consumer POWER chip was still being made after Apple stopped using PPC

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I'm an Intel guy, period.
          Intel's not a CPU type. Intel's a great company and I'll probably be first in line when the finally release their graphics card;

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

oh man an affordable POWER machine would be really cool too. Talos is a bit to much for me ...
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/08/...core-xeon-cpu/

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmm, let me see... do I have a spare ten grand lying around somewhere?
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I'm with Snowhog and Mike, I begin my search for a new CPU in the Intel catalog. It may not be a "type", but since about 2005 it has been a good, reliable choice for a solid desktop system.

Intel CPU ---> System Board ---> Memory ---> PSU ---> CPU heatsink ---> Graphics card ---> case to put it in ---> build it. That's how I do it.

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                  ... x86_64 is a licensing mess, ...
                  What do you mean, and how does it relate to my life? Newegg shows over 999 models available at retail pricing. Where's the "mess"?
                  Last edited by dibl; Oct 10, 2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Oh, look: https://wccftech.com/asus-ws-c621e-s...n-motherboard/

you can run two of those bad-boys at the same time!

Better make it $20,000 Ed!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Oh, look: https://wccftech.com/asus-ws-c621e-s...n-motherboard/

you can run two of those bad-boys at the same time!

Better make it $20,000 Ed!
                      When it comes to speed, no price is too high!
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                      X