Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I teach all of the sciences ( U. S.). , and have an "earned" masters degree in plant ecology which has been sited by other publications.

I am a published author and also certified to teach "English" grades 7 - 12 in the U.S.

Having said that I can mention two examples of "stuff"

a) An "english teacher" south of me said to her 7th grade english class when a student asked something like "when are we going to work on spelling"..."Don't worry about spelling tests because you "will always have a spell checker".

OH HORRORS...in the MIDWEST...she was "let go" and a COLLEGE TEACHER was hired from a town north of the place to do HER specific 7th grade class!!

b) about a decade and a half ago I "ran into" my 9th grade english teacher, ( A REALLY GREAT TEACHER BTW) who had left my high school ( we put on Raisin in the Sun ( in the MIDDLE of the "riots" of the late sixties..., Stalag 17 , Miracle on 34th street and others...while he ... actually READ in correct "middle english'... and we were visitning and the upshot was that I had my latest book published and he said...

"I've never been published"...
    MOST "professors" CANNOT SELL A BOOK...

What is MORE PITIFUL...

Is that they cannot seem to even be able to "lash up" a "book" and put it out on Amazon...!!!!

Now...the LATTER item ...

has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENTS at Distrowatch...

Notice the FORMULAIC "announcement"...

"The @#%^ team is pleased to announce..."...

It is ALL ABOUT BEING

PART OF THE TRIBE
    ...so given that...

I have worked to get people who are not "good english writers" to BECOME "good english writers'...for a LONG TIME...

ENGLISH TEACHERS...as with ALL "teachers" are part of "a tribe"...

THEY SPEAK TO THE TRIBE...

AND...I DISCOVERED EARLY ON...

that is is all about "expectations"...

I heard a teacher say...

"why can't I have PREPARED students...they don't even know about "this and that U.S. history WITH AN EXAMPLE"...
    So... without saying anything I offered to THE VERY NEXT SEATED CLASS MADE OF THOSE STUDENTS... purchase a "soda" for anyone who could "tell the class" about "the thing" and ...guess...

what...

SEVERAL of them "spoke up" and were "boosted on" by the people in the class and KNEW THE TOPIC...

So... the operative thing here is that when one EXPECTS people to FAIL they WILL fail...

and when one expects people to succeed then they will, GENERALLY succeed...

TO SPEAK TO THE TOPIC...

I CANNOT STAND PEOPLE who SPOUT OVER AND OVER...that they are smarter THAN YOU AND ME...

an...example...the United States Public Broadcasting System..."commentators / reporters"...

regularly...

use the word..

"impacted" in the absence of reference to

A... a molar tooth

or

b) ..the human intestine in reference to checking with one finger while holding a peanut and butter sandwich with the other hand...

AND...

THIS SO BORING...INTONATION with "great "gravitas"...

"there...ARRRRE..."concerns" "... as a preface to ANYTHING that is not "liberal"...
    A prime example of "there are concerns" being that...the midwest are just bohunks...

Excuse me...my fair city hosts an Italian Opera company, all expenses every year...the last year being TOSCA...

So..."do i have a problem with a person who is not elite liberal "useage" who has NOT BEEN TRAINED WITH SUCH?

No...

"do I have a problem' with people who have been SO TRAINED several "years ago"...

UMMMM no...

THE LIBERALS ARE ALWAYS BEATING US OVER THE HEAD

"that kids can't remember stuff even over the summer"...

I AM AGAINST...

PEOPLE WHO SHOUT THAT THEY ARE SO SMART...

and then use the VERY things that they disparage.

wooddoesnotlikepeoplewhospeakwithforkedtonguesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke;

Thank you, that made sense. Particularly to an ex-educator in the community college circuit.

PS:
      Try to avoid listening to PBS/NPR, it will help to keep the blood pressure under control. Even "The Prairie Home Companion" got too saccharine.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

It's all so clear now! Why didn't I see this before? Spelling. grammar... it's all a Liberal plot!
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          It's all so clear now! Why didn't I see this before? Spelling. grammar... it's all a Liberal plot!
          We're happy to welcome you to the conservative side of computing! The secret handshake and the passwords will be delivered by private carrier in an unmarked package. MAGA!
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Erica vs Alexa !
            Cat Fight!
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 13, 2018, 12:14 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Cat Fight!

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                I'll bet Erica knows where you live... Sleep lightly, be ready...
                You know she does! Yikes...
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                X