This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you bothered by spelling errors?

Before my bout with sepsis, which nearly killed me, I had a lot of pet peeves. Near the top of my list: misspelled and misused words, for example, it's misused for its. Since getting better, I find that very few things bother me any more--including misspelled/misused words. But what about you?

When you're reading something and it's [it is] filled with misused words, does your blood boil or are you able to get its [belonging to it] meaning without being bothered?

This used to be a big deal for me and included:

your/you're
    it's/its
    there/their
    there/they're
    except/accept
    to/too
    could of/could have (or could've)
    then/than
    affect/effect
    past/passed
    definately/definitely
    right/write
    loose/lose
    exasperate/exacerbate
    who's/whose
    alot or allot/a lot
    stood/stayed
    tooken/took
    I/me
    formally/formerly

and a lot more.

Somehow, nearly dying left me with a newly found tolerance for trivial nonsense--you know, don't sweat the small stuff! I'm now kind of surprised it ever bothered me that much.

Do you have any spelling/grammar pet peeves, or do you just brush them off?
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jun 21, 2018, 06:49 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

I stopped paying attention to such matters because the older I got the more guilty I became. Now, without spell check, and StartPage, it would be tough to read my prose.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm not familiar with StartPage, and am too lazy to look it up. Want to fill me in?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Yes it bothers me.
        Yes I am working on doing better.
        My biggest problem is with people using words in which they don't know the real meaning.

P.S. I have had Sepsis over a half a dozen times in the last six years or so. When it comes to infections, I go from 0 to Sepsis in "no time flat!"
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Yes it bothers me.
          Yes I am working on doing better.
          My biggest problem is with people using words in which they don't know the real meaning.

P.S. I have had Sepsis over a half a dozen times in the last six years or so. When it comes to infections, I go from 0 to Sepsis in "no time flat!"
          How do you get over it?! I was on IV antibiotics continuously for six months. When I was first diagnosed, they said I'd have died within hours without treatment. I had multiple organ failures. I needed a feeding tube and TPN. I'm still recovering and am now dealing with post-sepsis syndrome. I hope to never...EVER...get sepsis again. I'm glad you're around to talk about it; that's quite an accomplishment! Every 3.5 seconds, someone dies from sepsis. That's a very sobering statistic...

Comment

What really bothers me is people assuming I'm being rude, obnoxious, haughty, overbearing or some other negative term by pointing out some such error.

I limit my comments to when I think they're helpful, usually because the mistake implies ambiguity or some other confusion. "You know what I mean so what does it matter" is often the retort, showing a lack of respect, empathy, and imagination; if I was sure about the meaning I wouldn't have commented.

Another common case is when the speaker's or writer's English is not their first language, and a third person finds my comment objectionable. The speaker or writer invariably appreciates my helpfulness and usually finds the third person's objections unhelpful.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

I know what you mean, John. Your way of handling it mirrors my own--back in my pre-sepsis days. It bothered me when I was trying to be helpful, but had my correction taken badly. I don't have to worry about it now--now that I don't make corrections!

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                How do you get over it?! I was on IV antibiotics continuously for six months. When I was first diagnosed, they said I'd have died within hours without treatment. I had multiple organ failures. I needed a feeding tube and TPN. I'm still recovering and am now dealing with post-sepsis syndrome. I hope to never...EVER...get sepsis again. I'm glad you're around to talk about it; that's quite an accomplishment! Every 3.5 seconds, someone dies from sepsis. That's a very sobering statistic...
                Varying degrees of Sepsis required varying lengths of I.V. antibiotics the longest being about 5 weeks. A few times I needed vasopressors to stabilize my blood pressure. I have had three kidney stone attacks in the past five years and each attack resulted in two bouts of Sepsis. First before they placed the stent and the stone passed, then secondly when they removed the stents and stirred the pot up again. The third time I convinced my Doc to keep me in the hospital for observation for a few hours before sending me home and it didn't even take an hour before I was shivering so bad in the bed (rigors), that it looked like the Exorcist. ICU psychosis is another wonderful side affect of hospital stays I have been unlucky enough to experience.

I hope your health improves.

Ed

P.S. I just got home from the Big House last night after going in Wednesday night with a streptococcal infection in my leg. This time we jumped on it early and headed Sepsis off at the pass.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Wow, Ed, you've been through the wringer. One good thing to come out of it is that you're on top of it before it gets too bad.

Add me to the list of those affected by ICU psychosis. I had the weirdest thoughts while in ICU and in its aftermath. The main thing I recall was thinking that my ICU room was a huge, warehouse-like room, with people continually coming in and out to get supplies. My daughter assured me that was not the case.

Hope you're doing great--and it holds!

Comment

I'm not familiar with StartPage, and am too lazy to look it up. Want to fill me in?
                    It the search engine I use in place of Google
                    https://www.startpage.com/eng/
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'd be happier reading something written properly.
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Are you bothered by spelling errors?

Wow, Ed, you've been through the wringer. One good thing to come out of it is that you're on top of it before it gets too bad.

Add me to the list of those affected by ICU psychosis. I had the weirdest thoughts while in ICU and in its aftermath. The main thing I recall was thinking that my ICU room was a huge, warehouse-like room, with people continually coming in and out to get supplies. My daughter assured me that was not the case. [emoji4]

Hope you're doing great--and it holds!
                        My wife has had two mitral valve replacement operations in the last 11 years. The first was in 2007 and the cow valve was supposed to last 15 years. It lasted 8. The second was in 2015, to replace the cow valve with a pig valve. It is supposed to last 20 years. She's now 75 and the value has to last only 17 more years. By then they'll have a device that will they will insert between the ribs and into and through the apex of the heart and up to the mitral valve, where they will clip in a replacement. Withdraw the device, leaving the plug in the hole in the apex of the heart and use a single stitch to secure the plug and a single stitch to close the wound in the chest wall. So they tell me.

She was in the IC cardiac unit on the 2nd floor of Bryan Hospital in Lincoln. To me, it looked like the medical unit on the starship Enterprise. I thought I was in the 23rd century. They even had the buttons on their blouses that they touched to communicate with each other, the head nurse, the pharmacy and the doctors. She had ports everywhere, sticking out of her, measuring everything, dripping in fluids, draining fluids. And they brought her back from the brink of death. She had an estimated 10% chance of survival -- the surgeon's estimate, not mine.

I have only good thoughts about that ICU.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 08, 2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                          I'd be happier reading something written properly.
                          Me too, and I'd be even happier if I was the one that wrote it.

Comment

Plenty of interesting stuff in this thread.

Kidney stones and sepsis? Is there a connection? Kidney stones are rather common. My nephew just passed a couple, and he also got sepsis.

Spelling? I like good grammar and good spelling, probably a part of my like of mathematics (logic, structure and all that). OTOH, maybe we all need a DSM score for this obsessive tendency, think?

It doesn't bother me to read anything that is at some level legible and understandable, good spelling or not. (But it does trigger that certain obsessive notice ...)

But I also read things now through different lenses and filters. I notice a connection sometimes: Many bad spellers I've know have been doers in their life, focused on problem-solving and getting things done, usually requiring manual skills/dexterity/trade-skills, not focused on writing it down. My brother is that way, jack of all trades, master of many, but a lazy speller (he CAN spell when he wants to, with the help of a spell-checker). I think, in part, if you like to write, then you will write, and you will naturally develop the grammar and spelling skills required to look good in print (hand writing included). If you like to write, it is fun to write correctly, IOW. If you like doing anything, it is fun to get into the Zen of doing it a certain way, that is.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I suspect that larger Kidney stones actually tear tissue in the process of passing, hence a possibility of infection entering the blood stream. Yes, I know, one's urine is *supposed* to be pure but many have chronic urinary tract infections, some below the threshold of notice, but there still the same.

The smartest man I ever met had an 8th grade education but the logical power of Einstein. His analytical and deductive skills were phenomenal. He owned a parts store which I computerized for him. A good man who died about 20 years ago, and I still miss him.

Comment

Working...
                              X