This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] A bit rusty need a bit of help

Hi all (if this is the wrong spot sorry)

I put kubuntu 12 lts on lap top a while ago for a friend.

I tried this :
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It said no public key . Since he had not used this in 12 months or would a fresh version clean install be best ?

It depends on which repo or PPA is causing the error. It may not exist anymore, or has changed.

We would need more of the content in the error message to see, but the steps to fix it are not difficult once we know which is causing it, and if it still exists or not:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/7668...40db551/769169

IMNSHO, if the laptop is not outrageously ancient, 14.04, 16.04, and even 18.04 might actually run the same or better than 12.04. That release was the last bloaty version of Plasma. I don't think you need to do a fresh install at all, but if it becomes a consideration, a newer release might be a good choice.

Comment

Could it be that the op is having problems because 12.04 reached end of life last year. I think op will have to upgrade to at least 14.04.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

You might try "do-release-upgrade" instead and get them up to something still supported.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ha i can't do math lol. yes, 12.04 is definitely end of life.

Comment

See EOLUpgrades
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

He let it sit 18 months so sounds like a fresh install might be best . I'll try from a usb stick . Kb3 should be able to do that

Comment

I suggest using something like etcher.io or rosa image writer. I can't remember if K3B ever supported writing to usb, and the USB creator in *Ubuntu has been working poorly for recent isos, as has Unetbootin. Either one you download from their website, extract, and run from there.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I Second Etcher it worked well for me. And think a new install would be best also.
                  Last edited by kc1di; May 26, 2018, 04:56 AM.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

K3b will burn an image but I'd go with the Etcher recommendation. A lot faster and easier. Or, if push comes to shove, use dd.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Turned out he had 14.0 now iI' m doing three laptop up late with first on thanks you for the update and for the help

Mike aka starwolf

Comment

Working...
                      X