X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Nitro Black Edition...

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
    I have a line on a used Acer Aspire V17 Nitro. Gonna pick it up either this weekend or next.
    • NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M 4 GB GDDR5
    • Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
    • 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD
    • 17.3" 1920 x 1080 LED-backlit IPS display 16:9 aspect ratio, Wide viewing angle
    • 16.65" x 11.54" x 1.0" 6.61 lbs.
    • DVD Super Multi
    • 1 x HDMI
    • 2 x USB 2.0 2 x USB 3.0

$250. Apparently, it is also locked with ransomware. I offered to take a look at it for the owners to see if I could clean it up but they just want to get rid of it. If I can salvage Windows, I'll see if my wife wants it as an upgrade to her HP. If not (and I'm not going to lose any sleep, If I can't). Drive gets wiped, Linux gets installed (maybe an SSD) and I'll play with it a while until I find a happy home for it.
    Finally got my hands on this machine today. Pretty slick. It took me about an hour to resolve the "ransomware" and most of that was waiting for Windows to reset itself: "Do not turn off your computer, it will restart several times." Now it's catching up on Windows updates which could take a couple hours, I guess. Not sure why I'm even bothering with the updates, etc., instead of just immediately installing Linux, I guess I'm just curious to see it in its natural state.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

It's "natural state" is being infected with Ransomware!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      It's "natural state" is being infected with Ransomware!
      True!

The original owner said her son had no problem paying for hardware but was not willing to pay for software, so who know's what he was d/l.

Comment

Acer Nitro Black Edition...

True!

The original owner said her son had no problem paying for hardware but was not willing to pay for software, so who know's what he was d/l.
        That's sad. Depending on the exact model that laptop is worth anywhere from $800 to $1,600. Why in the world would someone think that if their machine gets infected they have to throw it away and buy a new one? I've even read about PhD's doing that. [emoji5]

My Acer V3-771 has in i7 cpu, 6GB of RAM and an Nvidia GT 650M GPU. It is a fairly good game machine even with the limited memory. I've thought about jacking the memory to 16 or 32GB but the way I play games with shaky hands it would be a waste of money.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 18, 2018, 10:43 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm pretty sure this tool kit will work on that Nitro
          https://www.amazon.com/Strongrr-Mult...+v3-771g&psc=1

Comment

That's sad. Depending on the exact model that laptop is worth anywhere from $800 to $1,600. Why in the world would someone think that if their machine get infect they have to throw it away and buy a new one? I've even read about PhD's doing that.
            I wasn't worried about the ransomware as my intention was always to install Linux. But when I got the specs, I did offer to look at it for them to see what I could do. It comes from my wife's boss' family and she/they are definitely "good" people and I knew I'd feel guilty if I was able to clean it up without too much effort. It took me about 15 minutes of rebooting and looking around (I am completely new to Windows 10) before I was able to reset it back to it's original state. Now waiting for all the updates to catch up.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this tool kit will work on that Nitro
              https://www.amazon.com/Strongrr-Mult...+v3-771g&psc=1
              Interesting, once the updates stop, the first thing I need to do is open it up to see what my options are. I have no doubt it will take 16 and probably 32GBs RAM. I need to see if there's an empty HD slot, then I can determine how big of an SSD I need or whether I want another CD/HD caddy.

EDIT: This machine definitely has "gaming" in its DNA.
              Last edited by SpecialEd; May 17, 2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

looks like a nice box quite similer to mine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -Fxxxz
                System:    Host: vinny-Bonobo-Extreme Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
                          Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.5 (Qt 5.10.0) dm: sddm,sddm Distro: neon 16.04 xenial                                                                                 
                Machine:   System: System76 (portable) product: Bonobo Extreme v: bonx8 Chassis: type: 9                                                                                  
                          Mobo: System76 model: Bonobo Extreme v: bonx8 Bios: American Megatrends v: 4.6.5 date: 04/15/2014                                                              
                CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4910MQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB                                                                                                       
                          flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 23144                                                                                              
                          clock speeds: min/max: 800/3900 MHz 1: 1116 MHz 2: 1206 MHz 3: 1102 MHz 4: 1239 MHz 5: 1099 MHz                                                                
                          6: 1189 MHz 7: 1104 MHz 8: 1182 MHz                                                                                                                            
                Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:119a                                                                                      
                          Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz                                                                                      
                          GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 396.24 Direct Rendering: Yes                                                                
                Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller                                                                                             
                          driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:8c20                                                                                                       
                          Card-2 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e0a                                                             
                          Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic                                                                                                 
                Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller                                                                                      
                          driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.2 chip-ID: 10ec:8168                                                                                      
                          IF: enp3s0f2 state: down mac: <filter>                                                                                                                         
                          Card-2: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b3                                                                                 
                          IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>                                                                                                                             
                Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (41.8% used)                                                                                                                          
                          ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 500.1GB serial: TF0520WJ19KNBV                                                                                    
                          ID-2: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS721010A9 size: 1000.2GB serial: JR10006P0JX3LF                                                                                   
                Partition: ID-1: / size: 53G used: 27G (55%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6                                                                                                      
                          ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2                                                                                            
                RAID:      System: supported: N/A                                                                                                                                         
                          No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present                                                                                                    
                          Unused Devices: none                                                                                                                                           
                Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:73C                                                                                                         
                          Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A                                                                                                                                  
                Info:      Processes: 243 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2106.5/15991.4MB Init: systemd v: 229 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0                                                          
                          Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481 running in konsole) inxi: 2.2.35
                I would recommend if your not going to use windows to do a complete wipe of the drive ,,, their are nasties out their that will "hide" themselves in the recovery/reset sections of the file system and/or partitions so that they get restored wile windows is .

their key loggers and phone home bits will live on , if present.

you can use any live USB/cd to do a "dd" on the drive using /dev/zero or /dev/urandom as the input file to write the hole disk over with zero's or random bits , this will of course loose all data and partition structure that is on it now and will take a long time on a 1TB drive .

Code:
                sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
                if /dev/sda is the drive and do be sure (should be ), dd dose NOT ask ok are you sure , it just goes to work.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Interesting, once the updates stop, the first thing I need to do is open it up to see what my options are. I have no doubt it will take 16 and probably 32GBs RAM. I need to see if there's an empty HD slot, then I can determine how big of an SSD I need or whether I want another CD/HD caddy.

EDIT: This machine definitely has "gaming" in its DNA.
                  I didn’t know my V3 had two HD bays until I opened it up to replace the CDROM with an HDCaddy. So now I have 3 HD’s in my V3.
                  Maybe your Nitro has two bays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    looks like a nice box quite similer to mine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VINNY
                    Thanks Vinny. I was planning on playing around with Windows 10 for a little bit so I went through the hours of updates, after I reset it to original specs. But I got so frustrated I said to Hell with it an loaded Neon using the entire disk and a guided install. It was running very slowly and a bit unstable before I shut it down and got back on my old machine. I will look at it in more detail tomorrow.

Comment

Maybe your Nitro has two bays?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Hopefully.

Comment

Being slow and unstable is not characteristic of my V3 or any Acer I’ve run in the past, and I’ve been using them exclusively for the last 14 years.

Was that before or after you installed NVIDIA drivers?

Comment

Being slow and unstable is not characteristic of my V3 or any Acer I’ve run in the past, and I’ve been using them exclusively for the last 14 years.

Was that before or after you installed NVIDIA drivers?
                          Not yet, I'll do that after a couple appts. I have this morning. (I decided to overwrite Windows around Midnight out of frustration).

Comment

So this thing is a beast to take apart. Not too bad when it comes time to replacing the HDD (only one bay, I think) but to replace the RAM you have to remove the motherboard.

Comment

Yeah, laptops aren't meant for user upgrades, lol. Looks like a nice machine though.

This thread makes me think there's probably a market to buy "broken" (by malware or viruses) Windows laptops and PCs, install Linux on them, and re-sell them at a profit!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X