A new user's perspective about Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new user's perspective about Kubuntu

Hi! I'm a new Kubuntu user. I am comming from using Gnome for 6 months (Debian 12) and using windows my entire life.
    Kubuntu is great, and I would recommend it to anyone. I discover new features every day and I am greatful of just how stable my computer is.

Gnome was ok, but without extentions is kind of bear bones. I really hate that I can not rename a file just by slow double click on file name.
    Also, no image previews when I try to upload an image? I guess that was fixed in gnome 44 to some extent.

Kubuntu (KDE) on the other hand feels like it has everything, and it's all configured in an inteligent way.
    It doesn't take a lot of time to learn the basics, and advanced options are always available.

What I would like to change on Kubuntu:

Just some design stuff. A more rounded and simplistic theme based on good UI. I understand that rounded corners are still an issue.
    Also fewer hard lines, for example: In Dolphin, there are a lot of borders that could disappear and it would make a cleaner design.
    Not enough padding: For example, in Dolphin, the side pannel, Places, there should be a little more left padding.
    Elements should be aligned. If you draw a veritical line from the top menu, from the word "File", every element on the bottom should be aligned to that line.

The only thing I miss from Gnome:

There is an extension, I don't remember the name, it changes the sound volume when scrolling anywhere on the task bar.
    It's stupid, but I got so used to that and now I miss it. I hope there is something like that in KDE and I still didn't find it.

Anyway, if you are a new user like me, what is your perspective?
    I ask only new users because I know that in time anything can become so familiar that you can ignore the bad and apreciate the good.
    I know I ignored a lot of bad things in windows.

Welcome to Kubuntu and Kubuntu Forums!

There are a TON of themes available out there but not all of them are great. Spend some time looking and you might find something you like. IMO one of the largest advantages to KDE/Plasma over Gnome is customization.

The side panel boundaries in Dolphin are easily adjusted - just hover over the line and slide it left or right. I'm honestly not clear on your other complaints about Dolphin. It has a lot of settings you might look through. IMO Dolphin is the best GUI file manager there is and I have ever used. It's extremely customize-able via the use of "Service Menus" which you can download and install or even write yourself. I have written several and installed others from the KDE store

As far as volume, if you hover over the speaker icon in the system tray and scroll the mouse wheel, it will adjust the volume.

Please Read Me

Comment

Welcome and thank you.

Originally posted by fylipdan View Post
      […]
      What I would like to change on Kubuntu:

Just some design stuff. A more rounded and simplistic theme based on good UI. I understand that rounded corners are still an issue.
      Also fewer hard lines, for example: In Dolphin, there are a lot of borders that could disappear and it would make a cleaner design.
      Not enough padding: For example, in Dolphin, the side pannel, Places, there should be a little more left padding.
      Elements should be aligned. If you draw a veritical line from the top menu, from the word "File", every element on the bottom should be aligned to that line.
      […]
      Those suggestions would be better made directly to the KDE developers (e.g. as official "feature request" on https://bugs.kde.org/ or in the KDE forum).
      As far as I can tell Kubuntu will always use the official default KDE Plasma themes and will not use any third-party themes or modifications.

If you want to learn a bit more about Kubuntu, here are just two links for you - and there is a lot of stuff to be discovered in this forum, of course:
      Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
      and the manual for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS : https://github.com/kubuntu-team/kubuntu-manual
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 21, 2024, 11:53 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        There are a TON of themes available out there but not all of them are great.
        I simply pick the default Breeze and tweak it.

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums! This is a small, yet great place to be. Lots of helpful people, and not too much grumpiness

I can't add to the above advice, except to say that Kubuntu is very configurable. There's a new LTS release coming out very soon, stick around the water cooler and watch the comments, gripes, and praise for Kubuntu 24.04 LTS when it hits the street.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
          X