This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
    This is really funny: since posting about it, I haven't had a slowdown! Here I am, cable at the ready and...nothing. Speeds are holding in the 49+/5+ range.
    Clearly, they're reading your posts.

Please Read Me

Comment

They must be!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Okay, so things finally started slowing down and since I happened to be walking past the modem, I rebooted it. My speeds didn't improve. Later, while walking past the desk again, I rebooted the router. Voila! Fast speeds. (I still haven't tested a hardwired connection...too much work right now.) Any thoughts on what this latest finding means? It rules out throttling, right? If the router is bad...well, wouldn't it be bad all the time?! What might explain the router periodically slowing down?
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...and-solutions/

https://youtu.be/R9Te2v-5h6Q

https://www.stephouse.net/2013/07/ho...reless-router/

https://www.howtogeek.com/165110/do-...st-10-seconds/
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It could be overheating after a time. They are mini fanless computers, so dust could be getting in there, depending on the case's design, or just age and worn out parts.

Comment

After running through GG's list, I came up empty.

As for the overheating idea, the router is on top of a desk, not enclosed or anything, so overheating seems unlikely.

I've been in a 'bad day' slump--normal in my new, post-sepsis life--so I've been basically bed-bound. Hence my lack of experimenting with a wired connection. I'll get around to it eventually!

Comment

I only suggest dust and overheating due to age, depending on the router's quality. I never get 2 years out of routers, but I usually buy cheap, older ones.

Comment

How long is the list of SSID's within range of your WiFi? It could be channel congestion.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Check out today's speeds; recall that my plan is 50/5:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-05-14-48-53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	643871

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I only suggest dust and overheating due to age, depending on the router's quality. I never get 2 years out of routers, but I usually buy cheap, older ones.
                      I think my router is less than 3 years old, and it's a Linksys, though I don't know its model number offhand. It's definitely not a high-end [read: expensive] router, but I'd expect more than 3 years out of it!

ETA: It's a Linksys N300+, three years old almost to the day.
                      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jun 05, 2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        How long is the list of SSID's within range of your WiFi? It could be channel congestion.
                        It ranges from about 3-5 besides mine.

Comment

My ISP is offering up to 1Gb symmetrical fiber optic. I bought the 300Mbps because my wifi max speed is around 257Mbps.

When I test with my ISP's speed test it varies widely depending on the time of day and how many times I run the test. If I run it once I may get 78Mbps down and 120Mbps up. Run it again and I'll get 157Mbps down and 165Mbps up. Ookla gives about the same. While these speed tests are running I open the wifi app and have it show me its speed plot. When I am supposedly getting 161Mbps down the NetworkManager is showing 21Mbps down. That agrees with what the plot in my wifi router firmware shows. Amazingly, my ISP speed test against their server here in Lincoln isn't any faster than a speed test using a Chicago server.

I downloaded the FCC Speed Test app from the Apple app store and ran it. It gave 53Mpbs down and 43Mbps up.

I don't trust speed tests supplied by the vendors of the service you are using. I've had experience with Spectrum. While I was supposed to get 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up I actually got 15-18 down and 5-6 up.

Here is an image of a speed test that shows I am getting 161Mbps down, while at the same time my wifi displays a speed of only 21Mbps down.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	my_speed_differences.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	643872
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 05, 2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The only tester I use is Ookla's.

Comment

Speedofme can be way off too, it usually say I have a 100+ upload speed

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by jpenguin; Jun 07, 2018, 09:03 AM.
                              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                              X