Thunderbird Snap for Ubuntu 24.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bendy View Post
    But why should users fight the distro defaults if we don't agree with them, and feel obliged to perform major surgery to bend it to our will? Canonical have made certain design choices that I don't like, so I switched to another distro who's choices I do agree with.
    Of course you are absolutely free to do so - use whatever is best for your needs and taste! There are a lot of "good" distributions out there IMHO.
    Personally I have to "bend" every distribution to my will, some more and some less…

I will "jump ship" the moment it is not possible anymore to use *Ubuntu without Snaps, though - which I hope will never happen…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 11, 2024, 10:38 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • 32GB RAM • AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G • AMD Radeon RX Vega 7
    Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • 16GB RAM • Intel i7-3520M • Intel HD 4000
    get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

I have to defend Debian (stable) here - compared to *Ubuntu LTS there really is not much difference:

For "normal" users *Ubuntu LTS is still easier to use and maintain than Debian (Debian has become better in this regard during the last years, though).
      For better or worse Ubuntu has a commercial background with Canonical, whereas Debian is community-driven.

I like them both.

​For a bit more advanced users here is a how-to for a Debian (stable) installation with KDE Plasma :
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...rog#post672034
      Thank you for this valuable insight. Understanding the PPA & pkg mgr for Debian and Ubuntu, makes me lean toward Debian, because of control. Could you tell me which distro you think works the most favorable with Nividia proprietary drivers and kernel upgrade shim? Does Debian handle Nvidia/kernel well? I have yet to find one that does this better than Manjaro, but with rolling upgrades there is always risk.

Comment

OT:

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
        […]
        Could you tell me which distro you think works the most favorable with Nividia proprietary drivers and kernel upgrade shim? Does Debian handle Nvidia/kernel well? I have yet to find one that does this better than Manjaro, but with rolling upgrades there is always risk.
        I am sorry to have to tell you this, but I have had occasional problems with the proprietary Nvidia GPU drivers in any distribution during the last years.
        There isn't one that works "better" with Nvidia in my experience, those cases are only experiences with individual setups.
        But you are right: the risk that something does go wrong increases with the frequency of (kernel and other system components) updates like in a rolling release.

Debian does not include Nvidia drivers for as many different graphics cards as Ubuntu - the current Debian (stable) only provides the Nvidia 525.x driver. If your graphics card is not properly supported by this you are out of luck (or have to install the driver from another source which I would not recommend…).

The only real advice I can give you is to always use the Nvidia driver (matching for your GPU) that the distributions provide in their own repositories (and e.g. in *Ubuntu not to use the "nvidia-…-open" ones!)​ and to be ready to boot from a previous kernel when something has gone wrong…
        And there always can be a certain amount of "trial-and-error", too: some of the newer Nvidia GPUs work better with the 535.x driver, some work better with the 545.x driver from *Ubuntu's repositories for example.
        PS: This even happened in Debian (stable) with the default kernel today (https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comm..._update_error/)…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 11, 2024, 02:49 PM. Reason: added PS
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • 32GB RAM • AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G • AMD Radeon RX Vega 7
        Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • 16GB RAM • Intel i7-3520M • Intel HD 4000
        get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I bought the boxed set of BeOS in Akihabara way back wneh. I quite liked it but continued using Warp 4.5! I really miss that OS, but...
          Attached Files
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
          X