• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird Snap for Ubuntu 24.04

Ubuntu 24.04 Plans Switch to Thunderbird Snap from DEB
    No thanks!

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2024/02/...n-ubuntu-24-04

Constant change is here to stay!

If it comes to this I will probably write another script then that will remove the Thunderbird Snap and install the Thunderbird tar from Mozilla.org to /opt…

Until then here is the official link how to install the Thunderbird tar to /opt :
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...advanced-users
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 08, 2024, 01:33 PM. Reason: corrected link - it was for Firefox but nobody has said something… :-D
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Maybe the best strategy is to use the minimal install, de-snap, and then use Discover or Synaptic to install Thunderbird.
      Would it work?

Comment

No, it wouldn't - because Canonical will very probably put a "fake" Thunderbird .deb in the 24.04 repositories that (re-)installs the Snap then. Like they have previously done with Firefox.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

This is why I switched to Manjaro a while ago. Once they snapped Firefox I realised it was only a matter of time before Thunderbird, Libreoffice, VLC etc follow. It's not just the slow cold start times - snap containerisation breaks things like Plasma integration.

Comment

I usually install the mozillateam repo anyway and get updated Thunderbird from there...

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
              This is why I switched to Manjaro a while ago. Once they snapped Firefox I realised it was only a matter of time before Thunderbird, Libreoffice, VLC etc follow. It's not just the slow cold start times - snap containerisation breaks things like Plasma integration.
              I also switched to Manjaro for other reasons, to learn how to deal with Nvidia - Ubuntu issues, and later became aware of the snap (or integration of system) - Plasma issues as well, across the spectrum of distros. Is there a way to stop Plasma desktop from integrating so hard into the system & (snap)? I like Kubuntu and the people in the Kubuntu forums, but these issues have pushed me to use other distros. Do you think they will ever be able to get snap to perform proper? If they snap LibreOffice and VLC with these type of performance (crashing like Plasma/Firefox does) I will avoid any and all involved like the plague, including my beloved Plasma. Which I do not want to do.
              Last edited by TinyTim; Feb 09, 2024, 10:00 AM.

Comment

TinyTim : So why don't you simply get rid of snapd and Snaps in Kubuntu and block them if you don't like them or experience problems with them?
                And afterwards replace Firefox and any other programs currently provided as Snaps only by Canonical (like Chromium).
                This is quite easy to do and works without problems - other Ubuntu-based distributions like TUXEDO OS or Linux Mint do this by default.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 09, 2024, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                  TinyTim : So why don't you simply get rid of snapd and Snaps in Kubuntu if you don't like them or experience problems with them?
                  I will do that eventually. I am in a learning process. I did usnap Firefox in Kubuntu and it worked fine before I jumped to Manjaro which was due to my learning disabilities regarding Nvidia and Ubuntu conflicts in general. I use Ubuntu Studio on a dedicated desktop machine for desktop publishing, and had problems with Nvidia proprietary kernels. I have a separate desktop machine which formerly had Kubuntu on it, but had the same Nvidia issue, so I went to Manjaro because it dealt with good with that issue. My solution for using Kubuntu is to usnap it and make sure DKMS is up and running and capable of keeping Nvidia, kernels and Kubuntu in line. (keep in mind I'm just now learning about DKMS) I don't need the latest kernel or software, but I do need to learn what is necessary for a stable system, and knowing how to put and keep all those pertinent layers in order. It has been difficult for me to figure nvidia and kernel updates and how to stay with a safe stable machine. I would like to ask you, if I was to dual boot Kubuntu and Manjaro, which one would you chose to load the GRUB? Also do you have any good advice on how to keep Kubuntu, kernel updates and Nvidia proprietary drivers in stable order?

Comment

OT:
                    Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
                    […]
                    I would like to ask you, if I was to dual boot Kubuntu and Manjaro, which one would you chose to load the GRUB? […]
                    Manjaro, because IIRC like Arch and unlike many other distributions they use an unpatched GRUB and will not be seen by *Ubuntu by default.
                    You could use the boot menu of your UEFI BIOS to boot Manjaro, though, if you wish to prioritise Kubuntu
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 09, 2024, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                      TinyTim : So why don't you simply get rid of snapd and Snaps in Kubuntu and block them if you don't like them or experience problems with them?
                      And afterwards replace Firefox and any other programs currently provided as Snaps only by Canonical (like Chromium).
                      This is quite easy to do and works without problems - other Ubuntu-based distributions like TUXEDO OS or Linux Mint do this by default.
                      But why should users fight the distro defaults if we don't agree with them, and feel obliged to perform major surgery to bend it to our will? Canonical have made certain design choices that I don't like, so I switched to another distro who's choices I do agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post

But why should users fight the distro defaults if we don't agree with them, and feel obliged to perform major surgery to bend it to our will? Canonical have made certain design choices that I don't like, so I switched to another distro who's choices I do agree with.
                        I fight with some distros I disagree with because there are things I like about that distro, and want to learn how to bend it to my will. I do agree switching to a distro that is less of a headache and also has everything one is looking for is the best. From what I can tell, all of them are changing all the time. I would like to ask you what distros have you settled on that you agree with the most? I have just started learning, and have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Manjaro, and next will be Debian, I have been using the Plasma desktop mostly, which I prefer (but Plasma seems to have some problems with desktop integration, snaps, - especially Firefox), but also have used Xfxe, which I find ok.

Comment

I have problems with every distro I've tried but not bad enough to make me want to reinstall whatever Windows version
                          came with the machine!

My first distros were Mandrake KDE and RedHat Gnome 2, before it became Fedora, and then I switched to *buntu LTS
                          around Fedora 14 or so for obvious reasons! New Gnome release? Wait for the next Fedora!

No, I'm not going to fight to de-snap Kubuntu so I use KDE Neon (And Mint on another machine)

Debian seems OK but it gets stale soon after launch! At least I have PPAs to update most of the software I use with Neon!

Arch based distros interest me, but Discover is not installed by default, nor recommended, so I lose interest in them fast!
                          Yeah, I use the Terminal but KDE without Discover seems crippled to me! (EndeavourOS)

What I really want is a pure 64bit OS/2 Warp 5 with all updated drivers and codecs and I'll be happy again! Dream on....

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                            What I really want is a pure 64bit OS/2 Warp 5 with all updated drivers and codecs and I'll be happy again! Dream on....

I have a simlar itch every now and then, so I just spin up Haiku for a bit.
                            I was a BeOS user before Linux. Not sure how I feel about the progress of Haiku -- they created an app store, of all things!! With package dependencies!! Oh my!

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot1.png Views:	0 Size:	272.0 KB ID:	676778
                            Last edited by claydoh; Feb 11, 2024, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                              […]
                              Debian seems OK but it gets stale soon after launch! […]
                              I have to defend Debian (stable) here - compared to *Ubuntu LTS there really is not much difference:
                              for one year (the uneven ones) Debian (stable) is more up-to-date than *Ubuntu LTS, then the next year (the even ones) *Ubuntu LTS is more up-to-date than Debian (stable) for one year.
                              After that this cycle begins anew.

Both for Debian (stable) and *Ubuntu LTS you have backports:
                              the ones for Debian are quite extensive, the ones for *Ubuntu LTS mostly contain LibreOffice and some minor stuff only. But *Ubuntu LTS gets its updates for kernels, firmware (and Mesa !) from the main repositories, which is easier for "normal" users - Debian gets this from the backports.
                              For some Ubuntu flavours like Kubuntu and Lubuntu you additionally have quite good official backport PPAs for the DEs (KDE Plasma and LXQt) - something not available for Debian.

User facing applications can easily be kept up-to-date with Flatpaks, Snaps ,AppImages and third-party repositories both in Debian (stable) and *Ubuntu LTS - but especially with third-party repositories be aware that Debian is not Ubuntu and one should not use PPAs that are meant for Ubuntu!

For "normal" users *Ubuntu LTS is still easier to use and maintain than Debian (Debian has become better in this regard during the last years, though).
                              For better or worse Ubuntu has a commercial background with Canonical, whereas Debian is community-driven.

I like them both.

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
                              […]
                              I have just started learning, and have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Manjaro, and next will be Debian,
                              […]
                              ​For a bit more advanced users here is a how-to for a Debian (stable) installation with KDE Plasma :
                              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...rog#post672034
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 11, 2024, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X