30TB Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GN 30TB Hard Drive

Because you can never have enough Terabytes!

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/95721...ml#ut0hi29xfoe
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Nope! Never enough!

Comment

Wow, good news! I'm probably going to need to expand my server capacity later this year. I was planning a 20TB 4th drive to expand my usable space from 16 to 26TB. I can't imagine I would need to go beyond that, but maybe the larger drive will "drive" down prices on the smaller drives. Seems odd to refer to 20-24TB drives as "smaller" lol.

The dilemma for me is I only have a 3-bay hot swap bay in my server currently occupied with 16+10+6TB drives. It's 2U rack case so no more room outside. I would have to install a fourth drive internally.

If I remove the 6TB drive I'm left with 26TB for backup so the 30TB drive would be under served - 4TB not backed up. If I leave all 3 drives and add a 22TB drive internally, I end up with 26TB usable so the same usable space for less money, but with an internally mounted drive. What to do, oh what to do...

Please Read Me

Comment

Snowhog There is a difference between terabytes of available space, and terabytes used

So probably no
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

IME, large hard drives are the same as building more shelves for my wife - just an excuse to keep more stuff...

Please Read Me

Comment

And just because my mind isn't quite like any other I know, this is how long it would take to transfer 30TB of data over a 300-baud modem connection.

A file that is 30 TB would take at least 11,198,729 days, 13 hours, 0 minutes, 42 seconds, or 30,681.4493151 years. But who's counting?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              IME, large hard drives are the same as building more shelves for my wife - just an excuse to keep more stuff...

George Carlin had a great comedic take on "stuff"
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Love Carlin's "Stuff" act!!!!

Comment

Carlin's stuff is the best. He was ahead of his time with his dry, offbeat, incisiveness.

As for big drives ... my comments are not very popular at a place like this. 😁😅

Many good reasons to need and to store tons of data, bits & bytes, for sure, no problem, I agree.
                  I noticed a long time ago that I was keeping lots of good stuff (manuals, guides, notes, analyses, tips, references, emails, etc.), but I was only accessing a small amount of it, ever, like maybe 10-15% max.
                  Photos are among the worst in this regard: Shoot 10 photos of a scene/situation, and you can almost immediately throw away 75% of them, if not 80-90% ... bad shots, repetition, unnecessary angle/view shots, etc.
                  And so on. You know where I'm headed here.
                  I have pruned things down to where GBs are plenty, even as few as 10 GB, photos included. To be safe, allow 32 GB. An old-fashioned thumb drive at Amazon for 10 bucks.
                  And for some reason, why do I have a dozen (or more) such thumb drives laying around here, partially used or even in new condition? It feels good to own data storage, because I can!!! 😲 😎
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    An old-fashioned thumb drive at Amazon for 10 bucks ... even in new condition
                    In theory flash memory stores charge, actual electrons, in cells, and the charge slowly leaks out if the memory does not get powered up. So we're told not to use it for long term cold storage. I must go through my pile of old thumb drives to see if they work; has anyone here had old thumb drives lose data?
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes, there is quite a literature on flash memory, and lots of articles and theories. Out of chicken superstition, when I back up my data, I back up to each of 4 thumb drives I use for that purpose -- same data, patiently written to all the thumb drives. (Parallel) redundancy. And maybe every 3-5 years, I buy new thumb drives and put them into service, retiring the older set for less critical, on-the-fly tasks. However, I do have some here that contain data and sat idle for years, and they have always worked -- so far.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                      X