Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma 6: Greatest New Features

Things are heating up!

As we are eagerly waiting for the stable version of KDE Plasma 6, there are some stunning updates and improvements already in, and it looks stable. The release is currently ongoing beta testing and there should be a couple of release candidates before the final release at the end of February 2024.
    https://www.debugpoint.com/kde-plasma-6/

Constant change is here to stay!

I'm using Plasma 6 almost daily, at least for a short time. It is still mostly a massaged Plasma 5, at least until they add a new default wallpaper. There are many new features, mostly small stuff.
    It won't be as big a jump as the relatively small one from KDE 4 to Plasma 5.

Overall at this point, most people will get lost in the re-arranged System Settings until they remember to use the search function otherwise it is about 90% familiar, maybe even 95%.
    Some things are still pending being migrated to Plasma 6 - KDE Connect works (mostly), but there is no tray icon, nor system settings entry (use krunner or the Application Launcher search function)
    There aren't many third party widgets at the moment.

It feels just as snappy on my 2016 i7-6700 thin client with an iGPU as Plasma 5 does on my 13th gen i5/AMD 6650 PC.

My only "serious" bug so far is that placing a sized-to-fit or manually-sized panel to one side (vertical at the bottom left, in my case) renders it as covering full screen windows it has to be centered or full-width/height. ugh.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 02, 2024, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Yeah well, did they fix the "moving windows when sleeping" problem? It's getting old...

Please Read Me

Comment

Dunno, I don't suspend on my desktops, and never saw this on my laptops, so I can't say I have even noticed this

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Dunno, I don't suspend on my desktops, and never saw this on my laptops, so I can't say I have even noticed this
          It not suspend that does it here, it's power saving mode for the monitors. I leave my PC on all day but the monitors go off after a time. All the open windows on monitor one move to monitor 2 at some point when power save kicks in. If I am sitting at the desk and immediately wake them up, it doesn't happen so I'm not really sure when it occurs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, ok. I can't say that I've experienced that myself. Mine are set to lock, then later they turn off.

My windows do move temporarily when I'm switching inputs on one monitor, but always move back when the selected input activates. But this also happened on Windows, too.

Comment

Working...
            X