Some thoughts about Fedora 39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some thoughts about Fedora 39

I briefly tested the new Fedora 39 release and here are some quick thoughts and observations:
    • Fedora 39 changed the default file system from Btrfs to ext4 Fedora's default file system is still Btrfs - you can change this to whatever you like in the Anaconda installer, of course
    • F39 still uses BFQ as an I/O scheduler for SATA SSDs - in my experience this reduces their performance unnecessarily in 99% of the use cases and I had to manually change it to mq-deadline again (like in the previous Fedora release)
    • the Flathub Flatpak repository is now available from the start as an addition to Fedora's own Flatpak repository
    • if I am not mistaken the Fedora 39 KDE Plasma Spin still installs the Akonadi server and KDE PIM by default (like Debian does)
    • Wayland seems to be the default session for Plasma (and has been for some time)
    I don't use the Fedora KDE Plasma Spin - (only) one of the reasons being that Red Hat (Fedora) is no KDE Patron, unlike Canonical (Kubuntu) and SUSE (openSUSE).
    But I always install Fedora Workstation somewhere to keep up-to-date with the current state of GNOME (and as a means to be able to help people who use Fedora - I don't know anyone anymore who does, though).
    And again I came to the conclusion that I still cannot understand why one would like to use vanilla GNOME… And the file manager is still horrible, and (I could go on and on )…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 13, 2023, 08:20 AM. Reason: Corrected wrong information
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

I gave Fedora 39 KDE spin a try when it was still in beta, Didn't care for it too much. Will stick with Kubuntu I always give Fedora a try, but always come back to Kubuntu in the end. The LTS version is just solid. And does what I need to do.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
      And does what I need to do.
      Which in the end, is really the only thing that matters!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I like the six month release schedule/12 month support, coupled with the internal updater. One can update only at a given version EOL, that way the new version will have 6 months updates (just when the newer version is being released) time enough to iron out bugs.
        The only question is if the internal updater is reliable; I hear it is.

Comment

I think this concept for the release schedule is a bit better than Canonical's for the *Ubuntu interim (non-LTS) releases (6 months/9 months) - but on the other hand Fedora has no LTS releases at all and its target user base is quite different from *Ubuntu's.

I have had mixed experiences with the "internal updater" from one Fedora release to the next one. Sometimes it has worked flawlessly, sometimes it has not worked at all for me…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 11, 2023, 03:03 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            [*]F39 still uses BFQ as an I/O scheduler for SATA SSDs - in my experience this reduces their performance unnecessarily in 99% of the use cases and I had to manually change it to mq-deadline again (like in the previous Fedora release)
            Worth noting here, from Ubuntu documentation:
            Best I/O scheduler to use
            Different I/O requirements may benefit from changing from the Ubuntu distro default. A quick start guide to select a suitable I/O scheduler is below. The results are based on running 25 different synthetic I/O patterns generated using fio on ext4, xfs and btrfs with the various I/O schedulers using the 5.3 kernel.

SSD or NVME drives
            It is worth noting that there is little difference in throughput between the mq-deadline/none/bfq I/O schedulers when using fast multi-queue SSD configurations or fast NVME devices. In these cases it may be preferable to use the 'none' I/O scheduler to reduce CPU overhead.

Please Read Me

Comment

For (M.2) NVMe drives Fedora uses none, like e.g. *Ubuntu does.
              The (IMHO disadvantageous) choice to use BFQ as an I/O scheduler only concerns SATA SSDs (and spinning SATA and IDE drives - where it is better suited I guess).

Differences (minor and major ones) when choosing different I/O schedulers for bus interfaces/drives can be seen e.g. with the test suite from Phoronix.

PS: I had to switch from Wayland to X11 in Fedora Workstation (GNOME) - otherwise the Guake drop-down terminal would (still) not work.
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 13, 2023, 03:16 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Working...
              X