This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
    there still is the "discard" option in /etc/fstab for an ext4 "/" instead of "defaults"​- despite the systemd fstrim.service being loaded and the systemd timer for fstrim is running
    have you reported this on the QA tracker? Or filed a bug? This would just be a calamares config file edit to fix, once they are aware of it.

Any links about the topic?

Comment

No, I didn't report it yet (shame on me…).

Sorry for missing links - I was researching this for several hours last night and unfortunately I have to urgently do other things (probably until tomorrow) now - you will find something in the RHEL and SLE documentations for example, and there should be something in the Arch Wiki, too, IIRC.

And there are the blacklisted SSDs for the kernel - which will (or will even not for the ones not in this list - and there were some missing a while ago…) be taken into account when you use "discard" in /etc/fstab instead of fstrim as far as I can tell…​

PS:
      Perhaps it is not as serious as I think it can be regarding older SSDs - but better to be safe than sorry…
      … and one should definitely not use both periodic and continuos trim at the same time!
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 24, 2024, 03:17 PM. Reason: logical correction
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

https://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/...nes/450/builds

Comment

It's now the eve for the Release of Noble Numbat 24.04 LTS

The months of Noble development have been a very torrid time for me The problems that I faced were with the calamares installer as against the ubiquity installer which never gave me any problems. This change to the calamares installer made me feel that I had gone out of the frying pan and into the fire.

The main problem that I faced was that my EFI partition had to be 300 MiB in size and mine was 275 MiB. I ended up shifting the Windows partition so that I ended up with a 306MiB EFI partition. I have now lost my ability to boot into Windows and I have not tried to recover from this change.

As well as this problem, the calamares installer still failed to install Noble with the reason being that the main.py file had to be edited for the installation to work. A clear solution to this problem by claydoh can be found at post #48. I know that this change is now incorperated into the installer.

The other problem that I faced was with an installation where I defined my partitions – this is my normal approach as I want to preserve about 240GiB of my btrfs Home partition. I unfortunately missed oshunluvr post #2. So I had to deal with my home directory being shifted to @home/user. Because I do not have much more than 100GiB of free memory, I had to cut, piece by piece, all the files in @home/user to my user home directory.

Other users have also recently experienced problems brought on by the calamares installer. So I will be very interested to see press reviews of Noble after its official release.

I just hope that all the installation issues related to the calamares installer have been fixed for the release of Noble 24.04 LTS. At lease my system is now a pleasure to use after dealing with the calamares installer. I must add that Wayland is not listed in the login option – only X11. If you are interested in trying our Wayland you can get it by :

Code:
          ~$ sudo apt install plasma-workspace-wayland
          I was tempted to try this as I noticed Wayland updates being downloaded? As usual, Wayland is over 2 times faster than X11.

Now for the list of Info Version updates in the last month with the Application Version updates.

1 Month To Go Release Status
          KDE Plasma Version 5.27.10 5.27.11
          KDE Frameworks Version 5.115.0 5.115.0
          QT Version 5.15.12 5.15.13
          Application Version 4:23.08.5 4:23.08.5
          Kernel Version 6.8.0-11-generic 6.8.0-28-generic
          My experience has been that the last month has consolidated many applications. What stands out in the above table is the version updates to KDE Plasma Version, QT Version and Kernel Version. No doubt many are waiting for KDE Plasma Version 6 which hopefully will come later this year.

I continue to frequently use Noble and now appreciate its stability. I assume that other users of Noble are now experiencing similar stability. Since Noble is a LTS, I assume the developers are concentrating on providing a stable and reliable system. I hope that those who update their systems to Noble have more success than I did with the calamares installer.

Comment

Thread is now Closed.

Forum for Kubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat LTS has been opened. Please post new content there.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X