The Best Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best Web Browser

I've been on the hunt for a new browser for YEARS! Finally, I found my new home for a web browser that performs better than the rest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naDYUVFs1-8
    Constant change is here to stay!

Well, another Chromium fork…

Personally I try using Firefox (or a Firefox fork or even something based on WebKit ) most of the time - because in my small world I try to prevent that Google rules all of the internet and its development.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 20, 2023, 02:19 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Well, another Chromium fork…
      This.
      Let us de-Google as much as possible.

Comment

For my consulting jobs I need to use Microsoft Teams, until earlier in the year MS had a Linux version but it is no longer supported.
        The well working alternative is running it as a web application, in Firefox it had problems so an IT man suggested Chrome.
        For obvious reasons I balked at Chrome and Edge so I tried Chromium, it works perfectly, including with Outlook and Office 360.
        I use Chromium only for business, the rest runs on Firefox.
        One day and time permitting I might try Brave.

Other closed source applications I (need to) use are Webex and Zoom which both have a Linux client, there is just one minor problem with Webex, I can't set a company background for video calls.

Comment

The next Chromium fork should be called "Tedium".

Comment

• oshunluvr
            oshunluvr commented
            Editing a comment
            You got jokes...

LOL!

My current favorite for home use is Vivaldi and I use Brave for work.

I use several devices regularly so multi platform and data sync are must haves for me, which both have. Vivaldi also has email features including a "vivaldi.net" email account for free if you wish. Always good to have a "dump" email account, lol.

Please Read Me

Comment

Another recent YouTube video about Thorium: "The Best Web Browser" Isn't Thorium (fastest isn't always important) by Brodie Robertson.

One can find a lot of informations about web browsers in the internet, an interesting and somewhat informative website concerning web browser privacy is:
            https://privacytests.org/.
            It is the personal project of a Brave employee (not of Brave itself), so it might be slightly biased - I don't know…

Among the worst are: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi and Opera - according to this website.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 03, 2023, 03:47 PM. Reason: typos
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

After a couple years of contemplation I've been on a de-google campaign for several months. A few weeks ago I pastured my wife's Android phone and gave her an iPhone, which she finds much easier to use. Yesterday my iPhone came and I finished setting it up last night. I deleted my Android phone content. I've also deleted all the Google accounts I had except one I freshly created in order to have a sign on to YouTube.

Yes, I know about Odysee and Rumble but most creators there can't make enough money to support themselves, so they stay with YT and post to Odysee a/o Rumble. Those that have had their YT accounts shuttered have move to Odysee a/o Rumble but they've probably have to devote more time to an external job to support themselves and their O/R channel, so the quality, length and amount of videos suffer.

I've also removed google's search engine from my FF browser and replaced it with a better one. So, my only connection to Google has been reduced to two elements: a google email account used solely to log onto YT, which my wife and I used instead of a TV.

I'm hoping that Musk will increase his X platform to compete with YT and allow content creators to make money. IF/When he does I'm jumping off the YT ship immediately.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 03, 2023, 05:15 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I too am on the de-Google train. It is disappointing that many websites are still built using components provided by Google. I avoid such sites whenever possible. Do you hear that, website designers? You DON'T need to use Google components in your designs

I'm using the Firefox fork: Pale Moon and have been very satisfied with the "look and feel". Pale Moon also has an active forum for user discussion. I DO have several add-ons running, mostly script blockers. There are two or three sites which are balking at my use of script blockers because they cannot push ads to me, poor babies, they could still post fixed content ads and I'd see them...

RE search engines, I have stripped the default search engines from Pale Moon and use Startpage.com for more privacy.

For email, I recommend Safe-Mail.com, although they no longer offer a free account. I also use Protonmail.com for more privacy (yeah, Protonmail did cave to US government pressure, but they are still better than most others. It is a vicious world and we must remain vigilant.

TWP

PS: Don't get me started on Social Media and I acknowledge that there is no firm line between some forums and the well known Social Media tools... Who is the tool there? it ain't me. Just don't go there.
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I stopped using adblockers, scripts, etc. and switched to a hosts file that does everything they do but a lot faster and silently.
                  I use Steven Blacks largest host file: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
                  at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...n-social/hosts

and contains 217,300 domain names that are thrown to 0.0.0.0 (that infinite bit-bucket in the sky) when my browser encounters them.
                  It speeds up browsing amazingly since all those 30-40+ connections to ad servers are not made and my browser page doesn't fill up with ad clutter blocking worthwhile content. If a domain name is blocked that I want access to I merely open /etc/hosts with Kate and search for that domain name and put a "#" in front of its line in the file. Sometimes I find more than one listing and I comment them all out. Sometimes I can leave the primary domain uncommitted and the other commented and the website still works. The hosts file is independent of which browser you use because all browsers check the host file for the presence of an incoming domain name and sends it to the IP address listed in the host file for it. BTW, you can also use host to redirect an ad server to another IP address.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 04, 2023, 03:54 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X