This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed with your Plymouth?

How many of you have changed your Plymouth Splash Screen? Did you know there are multiple themes created by other users?

What is Plymouth?
    Plymouth is the application that runs early in the boot process, prior to the root filesystem is mounted. It provides a graphical boot animation while the boot process happens in the background. This is where you see the Kubuntu logo and the blue throbbing glow behind it. Basically it gives us something to look at while the X system starts.

A few users have made some nice animations and options to the Plymouth splash. I found this one titled "Earth Sunrise" by Andre "Osku" Schmidt which was simple to install and uninstall. I just followed the readme file included in the package.

Code:
    Then extract the contents of the zip INT2MIL-Ubuntu-10.04-Eng to your home or Desktop folder, then open a terminal and run this (firstly navigate to the folder where you extracted it using a terminal; if you extracted it on your Desktop, that would be: cd ~/Desktop):

sudo cp -R Earth-sunrise/ /lib/plymouth/themes/
    sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/Earth-sunrise/Earth-sunrise.plymouth 100
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth  #here, choose the number of the theme you want to use then hit enter
    sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot and ready... should be running the new theme.
    However his instructions are only a tad bit off, all the letters in the filename are lowercase and he use uppercase E in Earth. But it was an easy fix.

So how many of you have installed a custom splash or made one yourself?

Seems like a simple change. I played around a while ago but really, I rarely see the splash anyway since I don't reboot often. I just let it go completely and now let the boot messages scroll down the screen...

Please Read Me

Comment

I agree it is just eye candy. However the idea of such a liberal system, allowing you to change even the OS logo, is something else.

Comment

AskUbuntu - kde - how to change boot animation: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2485...boot-animation
        - older, paths have changed from /lib/plymouth/themes to /usr/share/plymouth/themes as told at:

AskUbuntu - Unable to use a custom splash screen in Ubuntu 16.04LTS: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7753...buntu-16-04lts
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I haven't messed with my Plymouth since I traded it in on my Town and Country.

In my opinion, Plymouth does its job quite well without my intervention. Rock on with your own customizations, it's a great way to train up your skills!
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
          X