This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
    where do KDE neon users go for support? Here or KDE forums?
    Both places.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Both places.
      ...And also Reddit and Google Plus and...Such is the nature of Open Source and technology. I like it here very much and additionally also find interesting stuff on Reddit as well. Additionally, there are Kubuntu and KDE subreddits as well.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Is there a neon version that uses 16.04.1 i.e without the xswrver hwe stack?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          Is there a neon version that uses 16.04.1 i.e without the xswrver hwe stack?
          I don't know the answer, but KDEneon is not a distro. It's cutting-edge Plasma Desktop on top of an Ubuntu base. Therefore, whatever is or isn't available to Ubuntu 16.04 is or isn't available in KDEneon.

There's only four versions of KDEneon available: User Edition, User LTS Edition, Developer Git Stable, Developer Git Unstable. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out your answer. I can say my un-updated KDEneon LTS Vbox install is running kernel 4.4 and no hwe labeled packages are installed by default. I believe if you upgrade to 4.8 or above kernels, you get hwe.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re. HWE, there's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

My understanding is that if a user starts off with 16.04 (original or maybe 16.04.1), the kernel will remain on 4.4 for the life of 16.04.

If a user does a clean install of 16.04.3 (or maybe even 16.04.2), the kernel will be on the "fast track" and currently that's 4.10, at least on my Kubuntu 16.04 which I started off with 16.04.2, not the original 16.04.

It's purely my opinion that users with "older" hardware may prefer the former route. Users who have some sort of issues and are hopeful that a newer kernel may help or users who like new-n-shiny could also go the HWE route as described in the wiki.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
              Re. HWE, there's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

My understanding is that if a user starts off with 16.04 (original or maybe 16.04.1), the kernel will remain on 4.4 for the life of 16.04.

If a user does a clean install of 16.04.3 (or maybe even 16.04.2), the kernel will be on the "fast track" and currently that's 4.10, at least on my Kubuntu 16.04 which I started off with 16.04.2, not the original 16.04.

It's purely my opinion that users with "older" hardware may prefer the former route. Users who have some sort of issues and are hopeful that a newer kernel may help or users who like new-n-shiny could also go the HWE route as described in the wiki.
              It's not the kernel that is the issue. The HWE stack also replaces the xserver packages and drivers, with different names. These packages conflict with a lot of 3rd party repos, notably oibap and padoka PPAs.

I have a Carrizo chip, and the newer amdgpu drivers and mesa drivers from oibaf greatly improve performance.

Comment

Sometimes it's fun to be at the leading edge, or even the bleeding edge. But it's also easy to get ahead of something that's important to certain users without a cohesive, total product.

We can opine all day long about whether one distro or another appeals to a certain demographic - or it even targeted to that demographic - but the facts matter. There are a lot of newer Linux users on the Mint forum, but there are also a lot of users - period. It's a very active place. Also, Mint has enough on it's plate with Mate, and Cinnamon, and others including LMDE. And so they have given Kubuntu devs props for doing KDE right, and are bowing out of the arena, but not the Ubuntu base - for now. So now is the opportunity for Kubuntu to be proactive and market itself to all those LM KDE folks, new and old, before they decide that it's easier to stick with the "Devil they know" and to just switch to one of the other LM DEs.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Excellent comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X