Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you REALLY WANTED LINUX TO SUCCED YOU WOULD...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you REALLY WANTED LINUX TO SUCCED YOU WOULD...

do this.

Talkspace is ADVERTISING that they have a half million users and that each user is payiing...thirty (30) dollars USD per month to...talk to "a counselor"...

hmmm

500,000 x 30. = 15, 000,000. that is one point five MILLION dollars PER MONTH...

The people of Linux do not REALLY want "Linux" to become a recognized and mainstream operating system.

They want to WALLOW IN THE SLOUGH of DESPAIR and ...ballyhoo it!!

I am sooooo pooor...I am soooooo put upon...please... strike me with many flagella...

If people on Kubuntu REALLY WANTED KUBUNT TO WALK ALL OVER WINDOWS...

set up a "go fund me account" and just put...one dollar a month in it...

OOOOHHH POOOORRR MEEE I CAN'T AFFORD A DOLLAR A MONTH...but I can by a STARBUCKS DAILY FOR SEVEN BUCKS PER PAPER CUP: FOR...coffe, milk and sughar and a sneering barrista!!!

that "counselling" app is making MILLIONS...

and the money in the go fund me account makes

ANOTHER SNEERED AT BY THE LINUX ELITES ...stupid..phone app...

and put a MILLION DOLLARS...(USD) into the account and put a stupid laptop into walmart and walmart will sell the HELL out of it!!!

How do I know that?

BECAUSE WALMART TRIED TO SELL A PCLINUX OS computer for A YEAR...

I have the damN#ds machine ...

I HAVE THE MACHINE>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND THE SOFTWARE ON A CD...

but was there "any support"?

NO..."PCLINUX OS" walked off and LEFT IT!!! WALKED OFF AND LEFT IT!!!"

So...

if a developer in BANGSHEPEGYPT can make an app that is making over a MILLION DOLLARS A MONTH...SO MUCH THAT HE CAN ADVERTISE ON TV in the U.S.

SURELY "Ubuntu" has enough people to "crowdcode" an app to do the same...

woodcametotherealizationalongtimeago...

that politics

and Linux ...

is all "local"...to the forum.

woodsheeshsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 18, 2017, 11:38 PM.

WALMART IS AN EVIL EVIL CORPORATION!!!

ummm even they deployed over six THOUSAND PCLINUX OS computers...

and...did the Linux people support them ..

no.

why.?

Because Walmart is EVIL...a guy told me that! and I believe what that guy said.

Comment

Just who are "The LINUX people" ?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        do this.

Talkspace is ADVERTISING that they have a half million users and that each user is payiing...thirty (30) dollars USD per month to...talk to "a counselor"...

hmmm

500,000 x 30. = 15, 000,000. that is one point five MILLION dollars PER MONTH...>>>>
        You sure about that?
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I am sooooo pooor...I am soooooo put upon...please... strike me with many flagella...
          You lost them right there, Woodsmoke! Most people do not know what flagella are!

BECAUSE WALMART TRIED TO SELL A PCLINUX OS computer for A YEAR...

I have the damN#ds machine ...

I HAVE THE MACHINE>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND THE SOFTWARE ON A CD...

but was there "any support"?

Walmart did indeed offer a laptop with Linux preinstalled, in 2007 and in 2002, IIRC. And, it did indeed sell so well that they had a hard time keeping the shelves stocked. Why did they stop? A document released in the Comes vs Microsoft trial revealed the whole story. Microsoft sent a letter to Walmart corporate informing them that if they continued to sell Linux laptops Microsoft would raise their unit price on the Windows machines that they sold so that they would no longer be competitive against the other retailers. Walmart bowed to the pressure.
          The Iowa website that contained the documents was shut down years ago, but TechRights did manage to copy over most of them if you want to do a search. There is also a document which confirms what everyone thought about Maureen O'Gara. She was a paid MS shill.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            You lost them right there, Woodsmoke! Most people do not know what flagella are! >>>>>>>>
            Unless maybe they watched The Da Vinci Code...
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Ok
              my mistake as to why they quit but I daresay that very few "Linux" people bought them...they were people who wanted to get away from windows

I wonder how many of them took one look into PCLinux forums back in the days of the flame wars and said .."nope those people don't want me around".

thanks gg

Comment

Ok
                my mistake as to why they quit but I daresay that very few "Linux" people bought them...they were people who wanted to get away from windows
                I didn't buy one because, IMO, they were junk. But, they came preinstalled with Linux and had a customised browser, email and a WP that I don't remember the name of. Not enough power to code or do gaming.

I wonder how many of them took one look into PCLinux forums back in the days of the flame wars and said .."nope those people don't want me around".
                I was running PCLinusOS during the year they were ranked #1 on DistroWatch. Shortly after that a hurricane hit Huston, TX and destroyed TextStar's home. He took a sabbatical for a year, leaving the distro to one of his team members. That's when the infighting and territorial disputes took over, and the quality of PCLinuxOS declined considerably. That's when I moved to back to Mandriva (which was Mandrake). If TextStar had stayed away much longer PCLinuxOS wouldn't be here today. BTW, I moved from Mandriva to Kubuntu in January of 2009 because Mandriva devs said they were not moving to Plasma4 until the spring of 2010 and Kubuntu's 4.2009 alpha already had Plasma4.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Flagella? Sounds more like flatulence ...
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Ok

thanks gg
                    ,,,,,I did not have one of those boxes you describe ,,,but I did at one time in the wayback have PClinux installed ,,,,and yes ,,,yes indeed their forum drove me away with a quickness ,,,no help or tolerance for a linux n00b at that time .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      ,,,,,I did not have one of those boxes you describe ,,,but I did at one time in the wayback have PClinux installed ,,,,and yes ,,,yes indeed their forum drove me away with a quickness ,,,no help or tolerance for a linux n00b at that time .

VINNY
                      As GG well knows, I too was a member of PCLinuxOS forums back in the day. When Tex went "down" for a while, IMO a militant group sort of took over the forums and shut down any real discourse. That really sealed the deal for me and I abandoned PCLinuxOS for good.

What brought me to Kubuntu and kept me here is this forum. We - the forum members - have a plethora of experience and ideologies, diversity in affiliation in every sphere I can imagine, and civil discourse on any topic. When incivility creeps in, as rarely happens, the moderators quietly and firmly press down, but never have I seen overreach like I experienced at PCLinuxOS forum during the dark days. I was actually threatened by a mod because I dared mention that I had tried out a newly discovered (to me) distro called Kubuntu. That was version 9.04. That was the last day I ventured into that forum and PCLinuxOS disappeared from my hard drive forever. I continued to recommend it to noobs for a year or so before I stopped that too, fearing that a new user turning to Linux might be forever turned away by those folks at the forum.

My point is: Keep your comments to the topics rather than directed at an individual, understand others are entitled to their opinions and preferences, and if you have nothing helpful to say, say nothing, and we'll all have a better experience. We all know of other places on the 'net where RTFM is the mantra of the day and the result is very little gets resolved except for an elite few who tow the line. This is not why we're here.

Having said all that, I still don't know who the "Linux people" are...ROFL

Please Read Me

Comment

I should add that Linux HAS succeeded and more than most people realize.

The desktop is yielding to the smartphone because that's all that Joe and Sally Sixpack need or want to use. Linux continues to expand into the nooks and crannies of our society. Almost all supercomputers run a version of Linux. Movies do their CGI on Linux farms. Banks use Linux. The military is moving to Linux. The Linux desktop, despite the decline in that market, continues to eat away at that space. I've been looking for a replacement wifi router and decided on a 1Gb Buffalo wifi because it comes with DD-WRT preinstalled! When you search for electronic devices on Amazon add Linux to the search phrase and be amazed at how many devices state that they come with embedded Linux or are compatible with Linux. I used Qt as a GUI dev tool for four years on Linux to create GUI clients that ran on Windows boxes and communicated with PostgreSQL and Oracle data servers, before I retired in 2008. They are still using and maintaining apps I wrote using Qt.

The one weak spot is gaming, but I run Steam's Universe Sandbox^2, several other games with no problems. Minecraft gives me 300-500 frames on NVidia. But, gaming is losing its steam. Privacy is the next big thing, and Linux owns that.

Comment

GG wrote:

infighting and territorial disputes took over,

yep...

IMHO...with the exception of a few larger, overarching, problems ...

AND the infusion of money from stakeholders OUTSIDE of the Linux bubble...

the only REAL problem "with Linux" is... "LOOK AT ME!!!!"

woodsmoke

Comment

IF a person has something worth looking at then I say more power to him! The "worth" of it is what I decide and determines IF I will "look". Merit rules all in Linux.

Comment

The SIMPLE FACT is...

that "a developer" made the thing...

it is making MILLIONS...

and...SOMEBODY HERE...knows "somebody" who has "the time" to develop SOME KIND OF ADDICTIVE APP...

and then "the powers that be that trashed Riddel" would ALL OF A SUDDEN BE ALL OVER THE MONEY ..."

I...WOODSMOKE...SPENT DAYS...on phone conversations...e-mails...

with the original developers of ...

https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/1...ptop/overview/

the hundred dollar laptop...

BACK THEN...I HAD...ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS IN MY POCKET...

I contacted...ewwww...ewww...ewww...NASTY...

ALL OF THE SCHOOLS in the "lower midwest" of four states...almost thirty schools...

THEY ALL SAID THAT THEY WOULD TAKE THE LAPTOPS THAT I WOULD PROVIDE FREE

and guess what...

I GOT...NADA...out of MIT...

in other words...

"GIVE LINUX A CHANCE TO ACTUALLY DO IT".

and "Linux" drops it like a hot biscuit.

because "LINUX" is "AFRAID" of success.

they, like the REPUBICATS...would then have to DEAL WITH SUCCESS!!

woodaaaarrrggghhhsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X