X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask Ubuntu, anyone?

Anyone here also active on Ask Ubuntu?

There's one guy pretty consistently helping out KDE users over several years: https://askubuntu.com/users/26687/user26687
    Kubuntu 20.04

hey, I'm more active in unix & linux and stack overflow but I still dive into ask ubuntu, mostly to solve doubts, ask questions, etc,

Comment

Here's an interesting one: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9469...of-the-browser
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
        Don't uninstall Kate. Instead, select Kate and then left-click the Remove button to take Kate out of the list of applications that respond to "*.htm" or "*.html". The click the Apply button.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 17, 2017, 11:26 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9581...-service-menus

Is there any way I can assign a keyboard shortcut to a custom service menu I've added to Dolphin? The options menu for keyboard assignments does not seem to show any service menu actions, nor have I managed to find a a .desktop entry key that would allow me to set a hotkey.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

IMO a useless idea. I can't even imagine how the poster envisions this would work or why anyone would want it.

Dolphin service menus are basically right-click activated menus assigned to certain mime-types (usually) to perform an action on a particular file/folder or what have you. Point being - your mouse cursor position would change what action was generated by the keyboard shortcut.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Point being - your mouse cursor position would change what action was generated by the keyboard shortcut.
              Theoretically, it wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) need to rely on mouse cursor position, the action could be taken on *selected* files and/or directories (like ctrl+c for copying). Actually, krusader "user actions" (similar to service menus) can have keyboard shortcut assigned to them, and they work rather nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Theoretically, it wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) need to rely on mouse cursor position, the action could be taken on *selected* files and/or directories (like ctrl+c for copying). Actually, krusader "user actions" (similar to service menus) can have keyboard shortcut assigned to them, and they work rather nicely.
                But isn't selecting a file mouse cursor movement? I realize you can select a file using the arrow keys but it's ungainly if you have more than a few files to choose from. In my mind I was referring to the idea that the shortcut key would activate the context menu. Seems ungainly and useless to me.

I suppose adding a shortcut key entry to a .desktop file to enable hotkey activation of a specific function present in a ServiceMenu might be of some use if you didn't like using the mouse for some reason or were running KDE on an Apple with that odd one-button mouse they sell. I guess a lone application that one accessed frequently enough to tie to a keystroke might have some value to some people.

But again, since most if not all ServiceMenu functions are accessible in other ways like via the console or a bash script, why do we need yet another way to do the same thing? Why not just write a bash script and attach IT to a hot key? What's the advantage of another layer of complexity? Isn't the point of a GUI file manager to manage files using the GUI? I was a huge lover of XtreeGold but that was like 30 years ago. Selecting a file and then having to remember a key-sequence to affect the desired action seems like a step in reverse. I prefer more automation, not less.

Universal shortcuts, like crtl-c, are of tremendous value precisely because they are universal across programs and even operating systems. As I said, just my opinion, but I don't see the idea of memorizing 10 or 20 random shortcut keys just so you can avoid a right-click followed by a short wrist-flick down to a menu item to be any sort of advantage, but whatever. Each to his own.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well yes, it all depends on your preferred work paradigm. For example, I generally prefer working with the keyboard rather than the mouse (for me it's quicker to keep my hands on the keyboard rather than constantly move my right hand to the mouse and back again), and krusader is much more keyboard friendly than dolphin (similar to traditional cli file managers)...and yes, it does also have a keyboard shortcut to open the context menu (right-click menu)..in addition to keyboard multi-selection options.

So I can understand why someone would want similar functionality in dolphin, but I can also understand why people preferring mouse over keyboard would not.

Comment

Kubuntu - Dolphin panel - hide “Recently Saved” and “Search For”
                    ... I never use either of these, and they get in my way because I have to scroll down to get to "Devices" if my Dolphin window isn't large enough.
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

For a very LONG time, I have been a minimalist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dolpine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	643646

Comment

Thanks?
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Can anyone help with https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037...-doesnt-start?
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                            Since you just did a fresh install I suggest you not waste another minute trying to fix your problem and do another fresh install. BUT, this time give your sda1 partition (which should be your entire HD) to Btrfs as the root file system, with / as the root directory. Btrfs will create two subvolumes, which are like partitions, named @ and @home. They will be bound to / and /home respectively in fstab.

After the install is complete and before you start adding or changing anything create two snapshots, one of @ and one of @home. @new and @homenew. Then start your polishing. Before each major change, especially installing video drivers, make a new set of snapshots, @YYYYMMDDHHMM and @homeYYYYMMDDHHMM
                            If the change is successful make a new set of timed snapshots, deleting all but the @new & @homenew and two of the most recent pair.

It takes only seconds to make snapshots and less than five minutes to roll back to any set of snapshots, so you are only 5 minutes away from reversing any problem, regardless of how severe. This is why I will never use any other file system again.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

PS- Rolling back to a previous snapshot is better than piling one failed attempt onto of another and not knowing what state your installation is really in.

I’ve seen people have a bad install attempt for a package, delete it, which often leaves detritus around, or can’t be deleted because it wants to delete the Plasma-desktop too, or they just mess up their system making wild changes they guess might improve things.

It’s just so much easier and quicker to roll back to the last snapshot than do all that stuff above, or spend hours using backup & restore software that doesn’t back up pipes, sockets, links, etc. snapshots are exact images of @ and @home, and any other partitions you might create.

Comment

Working...
                              X