Name:	Message_1653339000908.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	663205
    Well, new to new-ish. Some used and refurb/open box

i7-9700
    RX6600 8gb
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/P4tp99

Sweet! Got to love a water cooler that's what, ten times+ the size of the CPU? hehe

You leaving it open case?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Sweet! Got to love a water cooler that's what, ten times+ the size of the CPU? hehe

That is not a water cooler, just a fairly generic Be Quiet air cooler. It seems to be about the same size as most well-rated coolers for the CPU.

I have the case sides and top installed, now that the build is done

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_102238_HDR.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	663212

Comment

That's a very reasonably powerful rig particularly at $808.04

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

I thought it was water cooled too! Those are might thick power cables if they weren't conducting water!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Pretty cool. It's always good to keep the DIY PC-building "hobby" (= market) alive and cookin'! 👍
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

I thought it was water cooled too! Those are might thick power cables if they weren't conducting water!
              Those are just braided PSU cable extensions, for looks/flexibility/looks/cable management. And looks. They kinda stay where you flex them, a bit.

Top view:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_183755_HDR.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	663228

The case is a cube, so I can down the road change up the orientation of the interchangeable panels, and have a traditional vertical motherboard orientation, if desired. It also has plenty of room for numerous AIO cater coolers, though probably a bit awkward to do a custom piping setup.

https://www.thermaltake.com/core-v21.html
              This is an older case model, so it is "outdated" a bit, style wise, but idgaf, as usual, anbd have no desire for RGB unicorn vomit. An access light might be handy, though.

Comment

Jealous.

I bought new mobo, ram, cpu, etc recently but haven't had the TIME to stick it together. I DO use water cooling and last build I switched to hard tubing. Takes a while to get the hang of bending and fitting the tubing so I'm dragging my feet. I'll post my new build when I finally get it done.

Please Read Me

Comment

I haven't built a computer since 2010-ish? I can't even recall what it was lol

I did start out with a refurb mobo, open box cooler, use the i5, ram, nvme and my old rx480 from the HP pavilion

I effed up the pins on the mobo when swapping out the i5 for the used i7, dragged a cloth across the socket and pulled a bunch of pins out of place I am only out 60 bucks on that, unless I get it fixed.

So I blew my leftover money on a new board and ram. Then I saw decent enough GPUs selling for..... MSRP!!! (I think).. AND THEN best Buy had an open box at a small discount. So, yeah. I am broke now

I don't think I will need to get into water cooling, I can't overclock unless I go to a K-model cpu, or switch over to AMD. I am fine with what I have.

For now.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Jealous.

I bought new mobo, ram, cpu, etc recently but haven't had the TIME to stick it together. I DO use water cooling and last build I switched to hard tubing. Takes a while to get the hang of bending and fitting the tubing so I'm dragging my feet. I'll post my new build when I finally get it done.
                    I can't wait to the the pics, when you find the time.
                    My build was too easy, and quick. I only bough the braided cable extensions to give me some extra, new things to do - cable management

Comment

Yeah, nice to see SOME GPUs finally back to near-normal prices. I have an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTX XXX Edition that I bought in Sept. 2020 for $195. It was a fairly high-end card in 2018 so I got it new in 2020 for what I thought was a very reasonable price. You can buy the exact same card today at the exact same place (The "A" store) for $720
                      I didn't know it at the time, but this video card has dual BIOS - one for high re graphics and the other for crypto mining! Which explains the exploded price. I could get twice selling it used than what I paid for it new. Kinda like used cars have been of late.

I have been building my own since the late 80's. It was cheaper than buying one off the shelf. That's no longer the case, but I want to point my dollars at the things that matter to me. Most of the time, I rarely do a full rebuild. I'm usually replacing some part of it rather than a total rebuild. This time I went in pretty deep, replacing everything but the case, PSU, GPU and cooling system. This will be the 2nd build in this case and GPU and I upgraded my cooling reservoir and went to hard tubing last build, 3rd build for the PSU. I usually shuffle my storage devices along with the new capacity of the Chipset/CPU - meaning I add one new drive to take advantage of new speed or interface and relegate the older ones to backup and storage. This time, its an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (up from an i7-6700k) so I HAD to buy a PCIe 4.0 NVME drive. No sense on paying for all that speed if I don't use it.

I went to water cooling about 15 years ago, mostly for noise control but I do a little OCing too. My "office" at the time was in an open area outside my bedroom door and loud cooling fans made my wife unhappy during those late-night gaming sessions!

Please Read Me

Comment

Even my older XFX RX480 was selling for huge dollars not too long ago. They are down to around $100 for the 4gb model. I paid 75 plus shipping on it , just over 2 years ago.
                        My RX 6600 (NOT an XT ) is 300 new.

My cooler seems quiet, so far, and I have yet to hear any fans, even when gaming, but I am right next to the AC vent in my apartment, and run an oscillating fan next to me as well. I may sing a different tune come fall, and the room gets quiet
                        I just now manually put the GPU fan to 100%, and can definitely hear it, but I guess playing Doom Eternal or Fallout 76 isn't stressing it much, heat wise. That must mean I can overclock it a little, maybe
                        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 02, 2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X