No announcement yet.

Get Energetic Evaluating Kenitic Kubuntu 22.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since doing the test in the previous post, I have been having trouble getting consistent results from glmark2-es2-wayland. Sometimes I would get 1462 and other times I would get 5747. I finally found that the problem was in my BIOS settings for the Intel video card. When I changed it to (S/W Controlled), I now get consistent results. I have also done the speed test on Kinetic by logging-in using Plasma (XII).

From the test using the appropriate glmark2 for Plasma (X11) and Plasma (Wayland), I get Wayland 2.23 times faster than X11.

I should also add that to get Wayland to work I had to use Muon to install extra packages. These allowed me to login and benefit from all the progress. In the graphics attached I have all the Muon Wayland packages that are installed
    Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 18, 2022, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wayland_1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	664246 Click image for larger version

Name:	wayland_2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	664245

Comment

It is now 3 months to go before the release of Kinetic Kudu.

Kinetic is now at the halfway point in the 6 Month development cycle. I continue to enjoy using this system and I must say that the only problem that I have experienced is with LibreOffice. More of this later

The developers continue to do a superb job at providing a very stable system that is a pleasure to use. I am particularly mindful of the current climate challenges and world unrest that must impact on some involved in the development work.

The status of my system at 3 Months compared with the previous month is currently:
        4 Months to go 3 Months to go
        KDE Plasma Version 5.25.0 5.25.3
        KDE Frameworks Version 5.95.0 5.96.0
        QT Version 5.15.4 5.15.4
        Kernel Version 5.15.0-35-generic 5.19.0-9-generic
        As you can see significant updates have been made to Plasma, Frameworks and the Kernel. I have not had any trouble with using the Pre-released updates and I hope I don't experience a total system failure in the future.

Because I have an AMD video card, I can use Wayland which is very fast and a pleasure to use. I continue to find that application font settings are a challenge at times.

My problem with LibreOffice was its impress package. A presentation would always have a white line along the bottom of the screen and another one on the right edge of the screen. I use a black background, so this is particularly noticeable and has even drawn a comment from those who see it. I found that it was present with X11 and Wayland on all my desktops. I eventually found a fault report, but no fix has been found at this stage.

I am extremely pleased with the current progress and I keenly look forward to the progress in the next three months. Once again may thanks to the developers for a truly great system​.
        Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 20, 2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Impressions of LO Impress on Kinetic

I continue to find that LO Impress on Kinetic does not do a Presentation correctly. The LO versions that I have tried are: 7.3.5.2; 7.4.0.2 and 7.2.5.2

On Plasma X11, LO Impress has a white line on the bottom and right side of the Presentation Screen with the exception of 7.2.5.2 which has no white lines. Videos are played correctly on the Presentation screen, which in my case is an external Monitor. I have the Slide Format "On-screen (16:9)" with the exception of 7.2.5.2 which only provides Screen (16:9).

On Plasma Wayland, LO Impress has the same white line with the exception of LO 7.2.5.2 which is clear with no white lines. The problems with LO Impress become evident when a video is to be viewed. In this case, all versions have a reduced size video overlaid on the control screen as shown in the graphic below. When this happens the projection screen is blank, ie black.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kinetic_LO_Impress.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	664562

Edit: I have decided to include the basic graphic details of my system which is AMD/ATI. This allows me to use Wayland as against another Laptop that I have with an NVIDIA card which does not work with Wayland. My video details are:
          Code:
          sudo lshw -c video
          *-display
          description: Display controller
          product: Polaris 22 XL [Radeon RX Vega M GL]
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
          logical name: /dev/fb0
          version: c0
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list rom fb
          configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 mode=3840x2160 visual=truecolor xres=3840 yres=2160

*-display
          description: VGA compatible controller
          product: HD Graphics 630
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 2
          bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
          logical name: /dev/fb0
          version: 04
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
          configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 resolution=3840,2160
          For those with AMD graphic hardware, I would like to know if similar odd behaviour with LO Impress has been experienced with Wayland? Alternately, is there anything I am doing wrong or is this a known bug?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 08, 2022, 05:52 AM. Reason: Added details of Video Hardware

Comment

With the last lot of updates, I decided to purged LO version 7.2.5.2 and installed LO version 7.4.0.2 and Impress is now very Impressive and working perfectly. No white lines and the projection image is correctly located on my attached display.

A big Thank-You to all who fixed this problem - WELL DONE.

Comment

I upgraded my 22.04 LTS to 22.10 yesterday (konsole, sudo do-release-upgrade -d). It brought in the snap version of Firefox. Surprisingly, it isn't launching or running SLOWLY as it previously did and as others have lamented about. So, I'm not going to go through the documented process by Oshunluvr on ridding ones system of snap and the snap version of Firefox in preference of Firefox's own download version.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 20, 2022, 11:43 AM.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is now 2 months to go before the release of Kinetic Kudu.

Kinetic continues its incredible progress with all packages working very well with the exception of Kdenlive.

The monthly status for my system compared with the previous month is:

3 Months to go 2 Months to go
                KDE Plasma Version 5.25.3 5.25.4
                KDE Frameworks Version 5.96.0 5.97.0
                QT Version 5.15.4 5.15.4
                Kernel Version 5.19.0-9-generic 5.19.0-15-generic

Progress continues to be made with Plasma, Frameworks and the Kernel. I continue to not have any trouble with using the Pre-released updates. I checked that my problems with Kdenlive were not related to updates. Kdenlive does work well on my LTS.

As before my AMD video card continues to work with Wayland which is very fast. Font settings continue to be a challenge at times.

It is great to know that others are finding that Kinetic is a great system to use and is very stable. It is a credit to the developers for the progress that has been made.

Comment

The release of Kinetic Kudu is Now in its Final Month.

I continue to enjoy the updates provided by the developers to Kinetic. However, over the past Month, I have had to resort to doing new installations because of my failed attempts to edit the grub menu and change "ubuntu" to "Kubuntu 22.10". All I have achieved so far is to change the font and background image.

Now I realize that many prefer the LTS, but I continue to risk dealing with the latest from the developers. They have not disappointed me in the progress they have made which is shown in the table below.

2 Months to go 1 Month to go
                  KDE Plasma Version 5.25.4 5.25.5
                  KDE Frameworks Version 5.97.0 5.98.0
                  QT Version 5.15.4 5.15.4
                  Kernel Version 5.19.0-15-generic 5.19.0-16-generic

As before, Plasma, Frameworks and Kernel have been updated to the next versions. By using the Pre-released updates, I continue to have a stable system.

With my AMD video card I get very fast Wayland response. The only problem that I encounter is that, sometimes when I boot, the performance from glmark2-es2-wayland at startup is around 1700 as against 9000? A reboot fixes that, but I have to be careful when using Kinetic in public for projections with LO Impress.

It is great to know that others are finding that Kinetic is a great system to use and is very stable. It continues to be a credit to the developers for the progress they have made.​

Comment

Recently I have found that VLC no longer shows a video but the sound is correct when playing an mp4 file. I have tried purging and re-installing VLC, but it still has not got the video showing. VLC works on my LTS which is a separate partition on the same computer. The version that I have is 3.0.17.4 and I am starting to wonder if anyone else has the same problem.

This problem is present on another Laptop with an Nvidia video card and Kinetic installed. I suspect that VLC problems are related to how it was built for Kinetic. I can play mp4 files successfully with either Dragon Player or mpv Media Player, but I prefer the VLC interface and it is the package launched when I select an mp4 file.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                      Recently I have found that VLC no longer shows a video but the sound is correct when playing an mp4 file. I have tried purging and re-installing VLC, but it still has not got the video showing. VLC works on my LTS which is a separate partition on the same computer. The version that I have is 3.0.17.4 and I am starting to wonder if anyone else has the same problem.
                      There does seem to be an issue. I will come back with a bug report link when one is made.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1991418
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks very much for the bug report which very accurately matches my experience. Great to see so many also reporting it and it looks like a fix is on the way, i.e. posting 9 of the bug report.

Comment

For those of you who, like me, need VLC to work, I found that I can get VLC 4.0.0~rc1 from launchpad.net by adding the ppa:
                            Code:
                            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily
                            Being a rc1 it is a bit different to the way you control it. There are now two screens. One has the video being played and the other is a control screen that gives you control of the video.

I found that using this rc1 is better than the other multimedia options for playing mp4 files or DVD's.
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 03, 2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

A fixed vlc package is awaiting approval by the Ubuntu release team

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                                A fixed vlc package is awaiting approval by the Ubuntu release team
                                I am wondering if you have tried adding the ppa that I mentioned above, ie sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily. For my system it works well and I have VLC launching every time I select a mp4 or DVD.

I also get regular updates from the ppa that I now have on my system. So I will be interested to know if you of others have similar success.

PS.
                                I try to be consistent in my approach. I have been on Kinetic for about 4 months and it has been very reliable for me and well before its official release. So I see no problem in using VLC before its approved release. After all, VLC has been around for a long time and the latest changes are for the latest systems which should not involve too many monumental changes. So I have no hesitancy in using the videolan ppa for VLC which is working very well for me like Kinetic has done in the past.
                                Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 04, 2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X