This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seniors perspective of facebook.

(Received in an email from my wife, neither of us have Facebook accounts).

For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists:
    I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

LOL. Reminds me of the commercial a few years ago where the older women had photos on her wall (an actual wall, not a FB virtual one) and she got mad at her neighbor's comments in her living room and announced she was "un-friending" her, while a member of the younger generation looked on and said "No, that's not how it works..."

I have Facebook because I have family, children, and friends all over the world and it's the easiest way to keep connected in these busy times.

Times past, if I hadn't seen a cousin in a decade I wouldn't recognize their children or have a clue what they had been up to. Now, I can call my cousin in Kansas or Indiana or California and chat about what they've shared and laugh at the antics in their photos. My 78 year-old mother-in-law and 79 year-old mother, both over 2500 miles away, can see pictures of their grandkids and know what we've been up to whenever it suits them. My friends in Bahrain and Thailand and other parts of the world stay connected at virtually no cost. It has a purpose.

Having said that, FB is totally annoying most of the time and getting worse. More ads and click bait than content it seems these days. I suspect if they don't reign it in it will be their demise. I read somewhere that if FB averaged their ad revenue it worked out to about $12 per account per year. I would pay that for ad-free FB, and most of my "friends" would also.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 17, 2017, 06:26 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

LOL
      hilarious!
      woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X