Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since Kubuntu 9.04 I've always thought of myself as a ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since Kubuntu 9.04 I've always thought of myself as a ...

GUI type guy. This video convinced me that I wasn't the GUI type guy I thought I was.
    I counted and found that I used 43 of the 50 CLI commands he shows how to use.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtqBQ68cfJc
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I rarely use the command line, especially going to Kubuntu a little over a year ago. When I do I have to dig out my book "Cheapbytes: Linux Commands" to get the syntax right.

Comment

I am definitely a GUI guy, all the way (almost). But still I quickly (and probably inaccurately) counted at least 33 * from his list * that I have used; but I have used many more than he lists; and, in fact, fwiw, wrote this for beginners (in our How-To section here):

Commands at Konsole: Beginners
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...sole-beginners

Still, since I am 99%+ a GUI guy, I don't consider his list to be qualifying or disqualifying for anything 🤔 🤣
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        GUI type guy. This video convinced me that I wasn't the GUI type guy I thought I was.
        I counted and found that I used 43 of the 50 CLI commands he shows how to use.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtqBQ68cfJc
        Nice! Thanks for posting. Currently, I'm looking for a dummy's guide to jq.
        Edit: going with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSn_38gDvzM for starters.
        Last edited by chimak111; Feb 28, 2022, 08:11 PM.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Actually, if you are a Linux user, it is wise to use the tools that you have for the work you want to, or need to do. So GUI is a tool, CLI is a tool. Use them both to the extent that you want to, or need to.

I boot to a GUI and always have a konsole open. They do not conflict, but rather complement. As an example, when I do a data backup, I copy commands from a text file opened in Kate from Dolphin, and paste the commands into a konsole. Dolphin remains open with a split view of the directory where the text file is and the directory of the backup target which auto-mounted at /media/john/<target usb drive>. It all works together.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

"complement" I like that, I'll go with it!

jq looks VERY interesting! I run into json files a lot with Minecraft and other apps. Thanks for the heads up!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I definitely more of a CLI guy, at least for system level work. I use Yakuake more than any other single app on my machine. I also have Konsole configured to open as a large, unmovable window filing a third of my screen for when I'm doing something more complex than a one-liner.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220302_085704.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	661072
              The dark part on the far right is Konsole

Please Read Me

Comment

I prefer a GUI when there's one that will do what I want... unfortunately, this is only some of the time. I use konsole + zsh a great deal, and have a launcher that can start a konsole in seven different text colours, so I can tell them apart, each with its own history and logging. For work I use .desktop files to open specific konsole profiles at specified positions in various working directories.

For servers, it's CLI most of the time, but I do use dolphin with remote locations sometimes.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X