X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded and try Beta looking good so far.
    No problems to speak of everything I use seems to be working well. Looks good for Final
    Last edited by kc1di; Apr 01, 2022, 07:41 AM.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by arsivci View Post

I sympathize with Ubuntu on this. FF releases new versions 30+times a year. Considering they have to provide support for 20.04, 21.10, 22.04, 3 releases at any given time, that makes 90+ releases/packages a year. I am not a huge fan of containerisation but I will allow FF and Thunderbird as exceptions; a little bit extra security is good for them. I'll give the snap version a try first. Depending on the performance, we'll cross that bridge.
      Afraid, I am a HARD, very HARD NO on snaps, ever, period. Its a yet another package system, which I don't like for many reasons, there is a reason I use something based on Debian, DEB's. I've got a lot of reasons on why I dislike snaps, #1 on that list is MANDATORY FORCED UPDATING, (I well aware of the delay, but you can not block it permanently.)

There are a few routes I may take, so long as these pan out.. and I will test installing the tarball, but there are issues with that too again, auto updating, and what it takes for me to stop such behavior, tick the box in some about: setting, fine, if I have to start adding things to the firewall, and etc/hosts etc. to block IP's, FQDN's... then we are going to have problems.

Thats the biggest one, not the only one, but its what ends things right then and there. Updates of software are done when I and ONLY WHEN I DETERMINE that should be done. OS or software. I am not coming into work and mass debacle of PC's that don't boot because of some upgrade gone awry cough grub cough. Thankfully because I don't let things do that, I don't have those issues!

As for speed, you can review this...
      https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comm...om_their_site/
      Seems to be quite a performance difference on the snap v. tarball

Glad I made an install of this and de-snapd and kept all the DEBs for it as well.. Time to image this for the box update I had planned for this release... Time to make some more VM carcasses on testing of the tarball and DEBs from Mint and others.... This along with another red line is rather disappointing...

As for the creation of the DEB's for 20-22 or any one else.. .maybe look at the source of the issue.. DEB creation... clearly the tools for this need some addressing, not a new package system. Make it so its easier for these to be created via automation... if you are investing huge amounts of actual human time into this, then there clearly is an issue.

I get where snaps wants to get to, I think DEB's can achieve that much better. The bigger issues remain, LACK OF STANDARDIZED SOFTWARE DELIVERY regardless of distro, outside of source, mostly. I am all for that, VIA DEB's. And fixing the issues so that its easier to create such over what ever release span you need to regardless of distro. snaps (pfft) is not that solution, no matter how you want to sell it to me. No sale here.

Comment

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
        LACK OF STANDARDIZED SOFTWARE DELIVERY regardless of distro, outside of source, mostly. I am all for that, VIA DEB's

So , you want to force Debian's packaging on Arch , Fedora, Suse, and everyone else not using a Debian-based distro.......??

Click image for larger version

Name:	google_gif.gif
Views:	228
Size:	916.5 KB
ID:	662005

The usual caveat: no one is forcing anyone to use anything.
        Don't like something? There are multiple dozens of distros to choose from, or one can do whatever work is necessary to bend the one used into something you like.

Comment

Topic has been CLOSED. 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish LTS forum is now OPEN.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
            I installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics but it made no difference. trackpad still operational with mouse plugged in.
            Yes, I'm replying to an old post.

After installing this package, you have to logout and log back in before all it's options are available, then you will see the TAB that controls this behavior.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X