X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your experiences are a perfect ‘example’ for why btrfs should be the FS of choice.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Your experiences are a perfect ‘example’ for why btrfs should be the FS of choice.
      Are you saying that:
      1. If my system is not bootable and I can't even use Alt+Ctrl+F2 to login in to my system, that I will not have this problem with btrfs?
      2. If I have an Installation USB that results in ubiquity crashing, I will not have this problem if a btrfs system was used to make the Installation USB?
      3. If my 21.10 system had btrfs when I use grub-customizer to alter my grub menu, my Jammy system would then be bootable and not result in 1. above and be completely un-bootable?
      4. If I used the latest LibreOffice Impress to view a presentation that includes videos, a btrfs file system would make this work for all videos?
      I would be interested for proof that btrfs would prevent these problems.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        That bug report had a comment with a work around, and I've just used it to successfully install Kubuntu Jammy, using a recent iso, and have tested the install a little.

The work around is to go to a live session after the installer crashes, and first update repositories; apt update, or click software sources in Muon. No need to update software. Then, use muon to install ubiquity-frontend-gtk, and remove ubiquity-frontend-kde.Then the installer will run (I ran it from a Konsole, but I expect the desktop widget would do just as well.)
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
          It sounds like Jammy defaults to the snap version of Firefox. Is the deb version still available in the repos? If so, does anyone know if you do an in-place upgrade from 21.10 whether you get to keep the deb Firefox, or whether it will uninstall the deb and give you the snap as a dependency of the top level desktop package?
          The .deb is now just a transitional package that installs the snap and removes the conventional Firefox, so in place upgrades will do that.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...snap1-0ubuntu1

firefox (1:1snap1-0ubuntu1) jammy; urgency=medium

* Install the firefox snap in place of the debian packages (LP: #1962021)
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post

The .deb is now just a transitional package that installs the snap and removes the conventional Firefox, so in place upgrades will do that.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...snap1-0ubuntu1
            That's not good news - I've seen bug reports indicating that the Firefox snap causes problems, and is also slow to start up.

I don't understand why this change is being forced - the Ubuntu bug report says Mozilla are driving the change to snap, yet Mint are saying they will build their own deb for their repos as part of their new partnership with Mozilla...

I guess a ppa or other package source will appear in due course to provide debs for Ubuntu.

Comment

The best way to solve the Ubiquty problem is to use Calamares. Ubiquity has been horrible for many years.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                I would be interested for proof that btrfs would prevent these problems.
                Not prevent. Allow for extremely quick recovery.

I'm at the early stage where I'm actually starting to Grok how btrfs works, and the power it provides the user. I'm not yet at the stage where I can explain it to someone else, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel (and believe it isn't an oncoming train!).
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                  Bugger. (New Zealand English.) I don't want that. In my testing of the Jammy install I mentioned above, I noticed how slow Firefox was to start; that would annoy me on every restart.

If I install Firefox from the .tar.bz on the Mozilla download site, will that avoid the snap version?
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

I don't understand why this change is being forced
                    I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is the reason is that it's hard work repackaging Firefox every time there's a new Firefox release, which can be urgent, and also every time a Firefox dependency changes. They have to commit to having staff ready to do it 365 days a year; the snap version can be set up to build and test automatically.
                    I guess a ppa or other package source will appear in due course to provide debs for Ubuntu.
                    With that there'll be compromises with how timely updates will be. Browser security fixes can be very important.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      If I install Firefox from the .tar.bz on the Mozilla download site, will that avoid the snap version?
                      Yes. I personally use the Firefox Developer Edition using the upstream tar builds.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I don't understand why this change is being forced - the Ubuntu bug report says Mozilla are driving the change to snap, yet Mint are saying they will build their own deb for their repos as part of their new partnership with Mozilla...
                        While Mint is popular, it is not Ubuntu. i.e. it is not installed and trusted worldwide by many enterprises, eduction institutions, and server applications. This means that that the distribution agreement Mozilla has with Canonical is quite major thing for them. How mint provide a Firefox build is quite frankly not. No offence to Mint, but that is the way it is.

Comment

So, what's next to be containerized - after Firefox?
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

jlittle, I don't doubt that building a .deb package takes time, and even sometimes the build is urgent. I'm not questioning what you have found. Urgent builds are often the result of an immediate need to fix a security issue. Dependencies are always a consideration when building a package of any kind. But, whether the package is a .deb or a container of some kind, it is still subject to urgency. And it should be subject to updating, when needed on a non-emergent basis.

Somebody is always building a package of some sort all the time, and maybe a container is cheaper than a .deb. It just seems a bit strange.

But, I'm in agreement with some others on this, if I want FF after I setup Kubuntu 22.04, it'll be from a tar, and snap will not be on my system. And eventually if that kills having Kubuntu, so be it. There are lots of distributions, some of them are even good.
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

ubiquity crashed!
                              Just had occasion to run the latest Jammy iso, and ubiquity didn't crash.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                                I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is the reason is that it's hard work repackaging Firefox every time there's a new Firefox release, which can be urgent, and also every time a Firefox dependency changes. They have to commit to having staff ready to do it 365 days a year; the snap version can be set up to build and test automatically.

With that there'll be compromises with how timely updates will be. Browser security fixes can be very important.
                                I sympathise with Ubuntu on this. FF releases new versions 30+times a year. Considering they have to provide support for 20.04, 21.10, 22.04, 3 releases at any given time, that makes 90+ releases/packages a year. I am not a huge fan of containerisation but I will allow FF and Thunderbird as exceptions; a little bit extra security is good for them. I'll give the snap version a try first. Depending on the performance, we'll cross that bridge.

By the way, I downloaded the beta yesterday, it looks awesome (just tried it live, no install). Many many thanks to the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X