No announcement yet.

Is DuckDuckGo a good search engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started using "Mojeek" as a result of this conversation. Has it's own web crawler, but when it fails to find results you searched for, offers you to use another search engine. I'm going to stick with it for awhile and see how it goes.

I also have been using Brave browser, but trying out Vivaldi again. It has a lot of features built-in and it's own email server, which is nice if you don't want gmail.

Please Read Me

Comment

DDG, as a search facility, is probably as good/bad as any other. None of them are worth unmitigated trust.

Watch your clicks, they are yours, and the consequences are yours - good or bad!
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
        I find you can't trust any search engine with your personal data. They make their income from mining info to be sold to advertisers or others. I just use the one that seems to work for me.
        DDG most of the time But have used start page also. I just assume none of them is out for my privacy. And any privacy i may have on the WWW i'll have to take care of myself.
        VPN's help but are not a total answer either. If the Gov. or others want your info there are just too many sources to get it from. Other than moving to were there is no grid no internet and still they have ways.
        I agree
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          An interesting article raising some interestng questions:

I wasn't aware of the history of the DDG creator.
          I personally use google search engine, and I also things that no other search engine is good as google.

Comment

That's spooky! I wasn't aware that they partnered with Yahoo etc who supported invasive internet surveillance bills. I personally use Bing for the rewards points but I'm sure it has its own share of problems with invasiveness and data selling.

Comment

There is no such thing as a 'free lunch'. Everything comes at some cost; everything.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

https://www.ecosia.org is supposedly trustworthy. It's a fork of FF without the **** in it.

Comment

Working...
                X