X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Amazing Bone-Head...

...and he is I.

So, I had re-arranged some stuff on my desk - moving into a new office space and cleaning up - and all seemed well. Then tonight, I tried to play some music and it was totally distorted, off-balance, volume was weird, lots of issues. This hadn't happened before but KDEneon is a fast moving target and I have a brand spankin' new mobo and CPU so, you know, things break.

I whipped out my amazing google-foo and found lots of references to my issue with my sound card - ALC1150 - and the new Skylake CPU's so I was off to the races. I reconfigured this and modprobe-optioned that, even installed a new set of dkms enable audio drivers. All to no avail - sounded like crap.

One post referenced the correct port to use for a single cable connection but I was plugged in the right spot according to my mobo manual. Still, I tried the other ports anyway; no help.

Digging further, I tested a mono-sound vs. stereo and it sounded normal, so did system sounds. Hmmm...

Long-story-short: I looked down at my speakers, you know, the ones on my desktop that I had been rearranging? Lo and behold, the cable - the three connection 3.5mm stereo-mini cable connecting to my Bose mini Sound Bar - and it was sticking out of the port just a bit. Just enough to cause all this noise and problems with stereo sound <forehead smack>. Well, obviously, a little push followed by a smart click and my sound system returned to normal. Sigh.

2 lessons here:

#1 Check the simple things first.
    #2 Don't try and out-smart the issue.

I un-did all my edits and installations, but that's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Please Read Me

As the saying goes in the DIY market & diagnostics crowd, "It's the cable, stupid!"
    Sounds ridiculous, but it really often is the cable(s)/connector(s), followed by re-seating cards, etc.
    Helluva mixed feeling, though, after you finally get it--elation that you got it, regret that you hadn't got it sooner! Don't ask my how I know all this stuff.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Dec 15, 2016, 09:20 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Been there. I feel you!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

2 lessons here:

#1 Check the simple things first.
        #2 Don't try and out-smart the issue.

I un-did all my edits and installations, but that's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
        Yup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AynXoLjYrKc
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I lost an hour yesterday for a similarly stupid reason. Too stupid to detail -- it happens to most of us, sooner or later.

Comment

Sure does. ANYONE with any experience at all around computers stumbles over their own feet on occasions. That's why I don't have any hair on the top of my head. Pulled it all out.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X