X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi - Ubuntu

Wildly off topic, I know.

I'm looking at getting a Pi to play around with, and have the choice of OS to stick on it when I get it. I'm leaning towards Ubuntu Mate.

Has anyone tried it on a Pi?

It's going to be headless after I've done the initial install, but it's always handy to have a desktop to remote onto, right?
    --
    Intocabile

Not really needed depending on what you're using it for. Ubuntu server installs full LAMP and I have added Plex, Transmission, Owncloud, and others and I don't have a desktop on it.

If you really want GUI interaction you can use Webmin. I just use ssh.

Please Read Me

Comment

No harm in having a GUI. I don't know what I'll be using the Pi for yet, so I'll keep my options open.

I've retired my old Ubuntu server, and that needed a GUI for VMware at least. I'll not be hosting any Windows game servers on the Pi though. That Ubuntu server replaced a FreeBSD headless server.

As for Transmission, I've never got on with it. I much prefer the way Deluge does things.
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
        No harm in having a GUI.
        (Please excuse me for questioning this, I'm really keen to hear your view on this.)
        GUIs use shed loads of RAM. Naively, perhaps, I thought Pis were small with limited RAM, and no virtual memory. What am I missing?

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          (Please excuse me for questioning this, I'm really keen to hear your view on this.)
          GUIs use shed loads of RAM. Naively, perhaps, I thought Pis were small with limited RAM, and no virtual memory. What am I missing?

Regards, John Little
          How much RAM does Mate use when you're not logged into it?

Raspberry Pi has a gigabyte of RAM. The GUI could possibly use a third to a half of that when you're logged into it, but if it's just the logon screen? Probably next to nothing. It's just lightdm until you actually log in, right?
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

I don't know about Mate, sorry. Being a fork of gnome 2, I'd expect similar memory use to KDE 4, where 1 GiB gave degraded performance. For a 1 GiB computer, I like LXDE and Lubuntu. On an old box of mine, on 14.04 167 MiB is used when logged in with no apps started.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X