This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    I just tried using muon to add the repository by entering "deb http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/ xenial main" and the download was not possible, ie
    Code:
    E: The repository 'http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
    Have I taken the wrong approach and, if so, how should I go about getting it?
    1. You have to specify whether you want stable/unstable
    2. These currently exist for "wily 15.10" only, no xenial repos yet.

Current options for neon repos:
    deb http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/unstable wily main
    deb http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/stable wily main

Comment

So this morning, both before and after upgrading packages, I cannot access Software Sources from plasma-discover-updater or plasma-discover; attempts through either fail because the execution command includes the options --attach 0 --dont-update.

Both respond with: Cannot execute command ' " --attach 0 --dont-update'.

I've reported this to kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        So this morning, both before and after upgrading packages, I cannot access Software Sources from plasma-discover-updater or plasma-discover; attempts through either fail because the execution command includes the options --attach 0 --dont-update.

Both respond with: Cannot execute command ' " --attach 0 --dont-update'.

I've reported this to kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com.
        you could reinstall muon
        Code:
        sudo apt install libmuon muon
        ,,,,,,,this will remove plasma-discover-updater plasma-discover and a few other things . but Software sources will work in muon.

Aaa hears what it removes
        Code:
        (Reading database ... 100%
        (Reading database ... 406710 files and directories currently installed.)
        Removing muon-discover (4:5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Removing plasma-discover (5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Removing muon-notifier (4:5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Removing muon-updater (4:5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Removing plasma-discover-updater (5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Removing libdiscovercommon (5.5.4-0ubuntu1) ...
        Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
        Processing triggers for dbus (1.10.6-1ubuntu2) ...
        Selecting previously unselected package libmuon.
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No, I'll wait for the 'fix', which will likely be pretty soon. The issue I reported would, IMO, be classified as SERIOUS, so get a rather high priority.

Comment

No, I'll wait for the 'fix', which will likely be pretty soon. The issue I reported would, IMO, be classified as SERIOUS, so get a rather high priority.
            ,,,,one would think.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, after seeing that there's a Git Stable branch now, I decided to install KDE Neon. Initial impressions are positive. First off, it's fixed some instability between System Settings and the nvidia driver, so that's a plus. I am getting the same problem as Snowhog concerning software sources, but fortunately I have my repositories where I want them for now, plus I prefer the terminal anyways. Tomorrow, I'll poke around and see what may be new, but for now I'm up way too late, got work in the morning and as it is, I'm already looking at only 6 hours of sleep.

Comment

I'm trying the unstable branch, to see the changes ASAP.
                For the last several days I have not had the updater notify me so this morning I did my usual ap-get duet and was informed that 308 packages awaited updating. I updated them without issues and rebooted. Neon unstable continues to be stable and runs well, although the "look" still leaves unimpressed. I would be more impressed if they based it off of Debian stable instead of Ubuntu.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I agree that Neon is quite stable, though I'm on the stable branch. Only having a problem with the software center, basically with software sources and the fact that almost nothing is displaying in it, but I never use it anyways. Though, is there somewhere I can report bugs and issues like that? It still seems like prerelease software (which it most likely still is), and I wanna contribute in some way to help improve it, even if only by testing and reporting glitches.

Comment

I'll have to ask/check but that stable branch is probably the "stable" git branch, and not the "user" branch. which would only have official, stable releases (aka the stuff we'd get in Kubuntu via the backports ppa)

Ahh yes:
                    http://jriddell.org/2016/03/15/neon-...ayland-update/

Clear as mud

KDE neon’s developer edition has gained builds of Git stable branches for Plasma. These are ideal for contributors and testers who want to check out the state of Plasma 5.6 branch and check it’s still sane. sources.list line is:
                    deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/stable wily main

Of course it’s not compatible with the unstable git branch packages.
                    So basically, the unstable can be viewed as pre-alpha to early alpha quality code, and the developer stable branch is closer to just plain alpha to perhaps early beta

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I'll have to ask/check but that stable branch is probably the "stable" git branch, and not the "user" branch. which would only have official, stable releases (aka the stuff we'd get in Kubuntu via the backports ppa)

Ahh yes:
                      http://jriddell.org/2016/03/15/neon-...ayland-update/

Clear as mud

So basically, the unstable can be viewed as pre-alpha to early alpha quality code, and the developer stable branch is closer to just plain alpha to perhaps early beta
                      Yeah, I figured that. Still, I'm enjoying it, it's really stable, more stable than regular Kubuntu 15.10 in fact, and I intend to switch to the final stable version on 16.04 when it comes out.

Comment

Came across a problem, specifically with adding repositories. I tried adding claydoh's KMyMoney PPA, and it gives me this error;
                        Code:
                        Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 95, in <module>
                            sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
                          File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
                            self.reload_sourceslist()
                          File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
                            self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)    
                          File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 89, in get_sources
                            (self.id, self.codename))
                        aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for neon/wily
                        I would try adding the repository manually into my sources.list, but I don't know how to manually put in the key for the repository.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured how to add the key. KMyMoney is now successfully updated to the latest version.

Edit 2: Holy crap, just found what's my favorite widget so far; icons-only task manager, which was my favorite feature from Windows 7. I'll actually create launchers on the task manager now, instead of having a pseudo-quick-menu on the panel using program icons. Has this widget existed on stock 15.10 and I just didn't see it, or is it new with a newer version of KDE?

Edit 3: ... and Google says I simply missed it, it's been around since 4.8.
                        Last edited by Cecil; Mar 19, 2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Neon repos for Xenial (16.04) are open.

Comment

How then, does one 'upgrade' their 15.10 KDE neon to 16.04? I'm asking because neither the KDE neon home page or their Facebook page say anything about this yet.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 05, 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

How then, does one 'upgrade' their 15.10 KDE neon to 16.04? I'm asking because neither the KDE neon home page or their Facebook page say anything about this yet.
                              I would imagine it's just switching the repos from "wily" to "xenial" and then "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade".
                              Haven't actually tested the upgrade, though, as I never had their "wily" repos active. (waited for the xenial repos to come available)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                                I would imagine it's just switching the repos from "wily" to "xenial" and then "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade".
                                Haven't actually tested the upgrade, though, as I never had their "wily" repos active. (waited for the xenial repos to come available)
                                According to their web site
                                A choice of four archives of packages built from either stable releases of KDE Software, beta releases, stable Git branches or unstable Git branches. Currently only Git unstable or Git stable is available.

These instructions are for the developer builds. We plan to offer stable builds soon, but be aware these package may cause breakage.
                                If you cannot upgrade you must be on the user edition not developer edition.

Comment

Working...
                                X