This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Following the instructions carefully I attempted to install Neon iin a 15.10 guest OS of VB. Here is the result:

Maybe it doesn't like to be part of a guest OS?"
    No it is just still not ready for prime time at the moment. That's a mis- packaged thing giving you the error, the same file being in two different debs. You can force it if you like using
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/plasma-desktop_4%3a5.5.4+git20160308.0048+15.10-0_amd64.deb if the package is still in your apt cache.
    Follow with a dpkg --configure -a and apt-get -f install

Nothing to do with using Virtualbox at all.

Comment

Claydoh wrote:

The point of Neon is to have a rolling-stable and rolling-devel plasma desktop without the rolling OS, so that in most ways the underlying stuff becomes relatively unimportant.
      I read that a short while after the post and just went back and re-read it.....

Now.......THAT.................is interesting!

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        No it is just still not ready for prime time at the moment. That's a mis- packaged thing giving you the error, the same file being in two different debs. You can force it if you like using
        dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/plasma-desktop_4%3a5.5.4+git20160308.0048+15.10-0_amd64.deb if the package is still in your apt cache.
        Follow with a dpkg --configure -a and apt-get -f install

Nothing to do with using Virtualbox at all.
        I didn't see anyone else using VB so I thought that might be a possible problem. Glad to hear it is not.

I took your advice. The result was an identical error msg. But, I went ahead and did the two recovery steps. The desktop appeared by everything on the panel was stuffed on the right side and only the run command, Alt-F2, worked. I did an dist-upgrade and 278 packages and reboot later and I have a working plasma5 desktop, which I am assuming is Neon.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yup, you are running the latest code directly from git, unstable and ever-changing unreleased plasma goodness. or badness at times, I'll wager

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Yup, you are running the latest code directly from git, unstable and ever-changing unreleased plasma goodness. or badness at times, I'll wager
            I meant to ask: where did you get that tidbit of info from, the IRC?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

See http://neon.kde.org.uk
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Wayland Image Updated
                http://jriddell.org/2016/03/01/wayland-image-updated/
                So far so good,

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I meant to ask: where did you get that tidbit of info from, the IRC?
                  Not really. KDE neon only has unstable builds from KDE's git, there is no stable repo yet. It is still a little bit rough around the edges still, even for developer code.

Comment

I decided to install guest additions on Neon. The first build, utilising kernel headers, failed due to lack of tools. I installed build-essentials and redid it. The install went perfectly this time and I set the display size from 1024X720 to 1524X780 (IIRC). Pulling down build-essentials I noticed an additional 270 or so updates waiting so I installed them and rebooted. MUCH FASTER on the reboot and the baby blue screen boot looks fabulous.. When the desktop appeared the panel was missing. A small tab in the ujpper right corner which exposed a square block containing system bar apps was non-functional. The Widgets tool said that all the necessary system tools, launchers, etc. were installed but they wouldn't show. Only Alt-F2 gave access to a command line but if a password was asked for I couldn't enter it because the prompt never appeared. Googling around I found a post describing what I was experiencing. The cure was to uncheck the 3D box in the VB settings. I did that and rebooted. I got an empty DE again but this time the right mouse key click on the empty desktop gave an option to install another panel. I did that and the full functionality of Plasma 5 returned.

VERY FAST!

Did I mention that boot and performance was significantly faster?

Comment

I installed it on test disk on top of Kubuntu 15.10. I also don't have panel but right mouse key click on the empty desktop gave me nothing.

Comment

I got my fixit tip from here.

Comment

Thank you.
                          My error message was the same as on this screenshot:
                          https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?...36&action=edit

Actually it was discussed on KDE Neon mailing list:
                          https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/neon/...ry/000034.html

I followed all the steps along with
                          http://jriddell.org/2016/02/23/kde-neon-comes-alive/
                          and it fixed it.

When KDE Neon have stable repository it might become a great alternative for Kubuntu, at least for new stuff hungry users.

But KDE 4 on SSD disk is fast enough and Plasma 5 doesn't bring too much important changes for me to be worth to switch, at least until it is more mature and stable. I think on my main PC I will stay on Kubuntu 14.04 for the next two years. It gives me the best user experience since I switched from Gnome 2 a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
                            When KDE Neon have stable repository
                            "stable" repository is already there: http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/
                            (haven't tried it though, I'll move my only kubuntu rig to kde-neon when they open repos for xenial)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                              "stable" repository is already there: http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/
                              (haven't tried it though, I'll move my only kubuntu rig to kde-neon when they open repos for xenial)
                              and this is what I am waiting for as well ,,,,,,,, I plan on trying that on the 16.04 install.

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just tried using muon to add the repository by entering "deb http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/ xenial main" and the download was not possible, ie
                                Code:
                                E: The repository 'http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
                                Have I taken the wrong approach and, if so, how should I go about getting it?

Comment

Working...
                                X