This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubicle;

Please stick around. It wouldn't be quite the same not seeing you here.

With that said, I really missed quite a bit these past few days. I'm shocked and hope Kubuntu can continue is some shape or form that provides the same spirit in it. I don't see why a "corectomy" can't be done and Kubuntu still be Kubuntu in heart. Maybe not name but really a name is name. The heart of its community is what makes Kubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't. IMHO.

Comment

How does Blue Systems fit in all of this?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        How does Blue Systems fit in all of this?
        Not very well. They/he pays for Jonathan to work on Kubuntu full-time, as well as for a couple of others' work here and there on various projects, and that is it. They do not provide much if anything beyond that, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Not very well. They/he pays for Jonathan to work on Kubuntu full-time, as well as for a couple of others' work here and there on various projects, and that is it. They do not provide much if anything beyond that, as far as I know.
          The Wikipedia article mentions nine developers.

Comment

I would think they would have say in some aspect. Anyway, tried Netrunner 16. Seems polished enough though I do love my Kubuntu!

EDIT: Claydoh, just noticed your location!! B52s?
            Last edited by MoonRise; May 28, 2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Yup, Jonathan is full-time Kubuntu, Shadeslayer (Rohan Garg) is both KDE and Kubuntu, and Aurélien Gâteauas well, but I don't see him around often these days.

Volunteer devs are Scott Kitterman, Harald Sitter, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan, and a few that pop in and out sometimes
              There are a small group of packagers, such as the ever-busy Scarlett Clark, and docs people like Aaron Honeycutt as well as community folks like Valorie Zimmerman. I used to fit into the Community area a little, but haven't yet found enough time to take on responsibilities again.

I am missing a few people, I know, but it really is a small crew overall.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                Claydoh, just noticed your location!! B52s?
                it's the love shack, baby !

Well, I used to live in a one-room shack, of sorts. No tin roof, though the main house did! Now I have central heating/AC, and can walk to a mall

Comment

Interesting turn of events... destination debian it seems.
                  Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    The Wikipedia article mentions nine developers.
                    Interesting ... and names them in the references!
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Debian is slow with updates. Good or bad depends on your perspective. I poked around and don't see Plasma 5 available, even on sid.

The Kubuntu PPAs have been a great way to get the latest KDE stuff without being too bleeding edge. If the base moves to Debian, I hope the equivalent of the PPAs is possible.

Comment

I just installed the Debian 8 KDE Live under VirtualBox, using the graphical installer after burning the ISO onto a CD.
                        Aper works very nice. Ice Weasel played YouTube videos with no problem, had no problem setting the date font from the system tray, System Settings is fully populated ... I see the Qt-sdk in Aper. I may install it and throw on the source of one of my old apps.

It also includes the Btrfs!

So far I am liking what I am seeing Vanilla KDE to be sure, but well built and integrated.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Let's hope it will never get that far, but I have SolydK waiting in the wings, just in case.
                          Not quite bleeding edge, but very stable, fast, Debian based and semi- rolling releases. ( and from Holland, what else can I say )

I will miss this forum, though.......
                          Last edited by GerardV; May 29, 2015, 12:17 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                            Debian is slow with updates.
                            True for stable. Not true for Sid.

Good or bad depends on your perspective.
                            Very true.

I poked around and don't see Plasma 5 available, even on sid.
                            Actually we've had it for some time. I have it installed on a siduction VM, but I wouldn't recommend it yet. It's not quite ready for prime time, IMO.

Comment

Mark Shuttleworth, in an interview shortly after Ubuntu (which now uses the Unity desktop environment, previously having used GNOME) was started, stated:
                              I believe that the KDE community does phenomenal work, and having a community-driven distribution to showcase that work will help attract users and developers to the project. Our overall goal in the Ubuntu project is to further the adoption of free software on the desktop and the server, and we recognise that KDE is an essential part of the mix of desktop environments that allows people to find the best environment for their needs.
                              The Kubuntu team released the first edition, Hoary Hedgehog, on April 8, 2005.

Ubuntu: "I am what I am because of who we all are." (From a definition offered by Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee.)Archbishop Desmond Tutu offered a definition in a 1999 book:[11]
                              A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, based from a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.
                              Mark Shuttleworth should step back from his myopic world view of himself and realize that Kubuntu Linux needs to be allowed to grow beyound whatever purpose he thought it should play in the development of Ubuntu. He should not not feel threatened by it's success. He should set it free, to continue on its journey with his blessings.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

snowhog: Mark Shuttleworth should step back from his myopic world view of himself and realize that Kubuntu Linux needs to be allowed to grow beyound whatever purpose he thought it should play in the development of Ubuntu. He should not not feel threatened by it's success.
                                This is easy armchair psych 101. He's does feel threatened, he's immature. With all his wealth and influence he's got everything in life but the things that really, in the end, count. You'd think he'd be more self aware, and make intentional efforts to look better, to be more gracious, open, if nothing else, to be "cool." But, well, lack of awareness and self-correction, along with a does of self absorption and narcissism is precisely, by definition, what constitutes having a "problem." At my age now, I no longer have patience with people like that. But he's not special--the world is full of them.
                                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                                X