X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT:
    @Snow and @DYK:
    Thanks for the thoughts, that is just the spirit I like here
    Well that's easy, I can give you more of that! I'd like to see you stay, as well.

You know, I'm with ya about "rotten cores," but I've finally got to the point where if you worried about rotten cores, there would be very few "good, safe" places to hang your hat on this planet. I don't advocate being evil-opportunistic but being harmlessly opportunistic for yourself. Get and take what you can from a system (and use the platform to do your thing to help people and get things done); don't worry too much about what's at the core of it. It will never be the way you want it to be; and if it appears to be so, that quite often is only appearances. Applies to Linux, to companies, to social groups-organizations, and certainly to political systems. The latter being a good example: If we all changed citizenship when we smelled some sh*t at the core of our home-country, the world would be in a constant state of rapidly changing population shifts! From space, it would look like a storm system with all the people changing locations at high velocity.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; May 27, 2015, 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

http://jriddell.org/2015/05/26/reaff...buntu-council/

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        You know, I'm with ya about "rotten cores," but I've finally got to the point where if you worried about rotten cores, there would be very few "good, safe" places to hang your hat on this planet. I don't advocate being evil-opportunistic but being harmlessly opportunistic for yourself. Get and take what you can from a system (and use the platform to do your thing to help people and get things done); don't worry too much about what's at the core of it. It will never be the way you want it to be; and if it appears to be so, that quite often is only appearances. Applies to Linux, to companies, to social groups-organizations, and certainly to political systems. The latter being a good example: If we all changed citizenship when we smelled some sh*t at the core of our home-country, the world would be in a constant state of rapidly changing population shifts! From space, it would look like a storm system with all the people changing locations at high velocity.
        I may have worded myself poorly, as I do agree with you...after all I came to kubuntu a decade ago (from debian) and stayed with it because it worked for me even though I was aware of the underlying problems (the rot in the core). I'm a practical man at heart, with only some ideological tendencies .

What I meant that to me this seems like the time the rot is starting to reach out from the core and affect the branch I'm sitting on, so it's time to move to another orchard, maybe the rot sits there as well, but at least I can see a few places with a many good seasons left. Maybe even places that you can try to fix from the inside. Canonical/Ubuntu is not one of those places.

Comment

This is the Kubuntu Council standing by Riddell, I really admire such unified displays of team spirit.

It doesn't negate UCC's decision or Mark's support of that. What's important is what happens next.

Comment

What I meant that to me this seems like the time the rot is starting to reach out from the core and affect the branch I'm sitting on, so it's time to move to another orchard, maybe the rot sits there as well, but at least I can see a few places with a many good seasons left. Maybe even places that you can try to fix from the inside. Canonical/Ubuntu is not one of those places.
            I can't say that I disagree with that! I figured you had thought this through. Hoping you might leave open the door to reconsidering, is all
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              I can't say that I disagree with that! I figured you had thought this through. Hoping you might leave open the door to reconsidering, is all
              Well, I'm not leaving kubuntu immediately. I manage a buck load of machines (although the servers are largely on debian already), so there are some logistical problems to solve. And I probably won't move my main rigs until I can get Plasma5 from somewhere else than experimental. So there is still time for things to change.

And I probably won't leave the kubuntuforums any time soon (maybe never, it's been too much fun).

Comment

The CC has, I believe inadvertently, taken an action that would seriously jeopardize the existence of Kubuntu if it were carried through. All I’m asking is don’t do that. From my PoV, whether the CC knew in advance or not (and I assume they didn’t), you’ve now heard from me that your actions are placing the entire future of Kubuntu at risk.
                It appears that Scott is not alone in walking away from Kubuntu development, and considering the issues evolved it is no surprise.

A few years ago Shuttlesworth announced the abandonment of financial support of several flavors of Ubuntu, Kubutntu being one of them. He said the focus would be on his Unity GUI, replacing GNome, and on the 5 year LTS. At that time I predicted that he was setting a goal to make Canonicl financially self-sustaining by 2017 and if that goal wasn't reached he would shut Canonical and Ubuntu down.

As I see it this firestorm adds two logs to the fire:
                1). He is putting all his eggs into the Unity 8 basket
                2). He is trying to implement plans to require Ububtu derivatives which are based on the Ubuntu binaries to pay a license fee to use those binaries.

Comments in the various links add the observations that Canonical is abandoning the desktop and that the license plan is to eliminate "distractions" to Ubuntu/Unity8.

Where is Blue-Systems in all of this? Are they not still paying Riddell and one other developer's salary? By refusing to work with Riddell Shuttlesworth is really saying he (Canonical) is refusing to work with Blue-Systems. An attempt to force B-S to switch to Unity8? Riddell's issue, AIUI, is his disagreement with Shuttlesworth's licensing plan. Shuttlesworth's "independent" lawyers claim his plan to license binaries of GPL source is not a violation of the GPL. If I am wrong someone will, most certainly, correct me.

Regardless, the issues in this dispute suggest a solution which I mentioned when Kubuntu was kicked to the curb by Canonical: move Kubuntu's base to Debian. Doing it now would be following ScottK and the majority of Kubuntu's developers away from Ubuntu/Canonical.

(KFN is a major pro-KDE/Kubuntu forum. Recently a series of inflammatory posting to KFN railing against KDE/Kubuntu now seems conspicuous for both their timing and the intractability of the poster. Coincidence?)

Last edited by GreyGeek; May 27, 2015, 09:18 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Let me start by stating that I really like Kubuntu, the distribution. I use it daily and exclusively.
                  Unity, on the other hand, is simply not enjoyable...

That being said, if "airing-the-Ubuntu-laundry" can make them back away from the internal
                  politics, then I'll stay with Kubuntu. I don't expect that to happen because we are dealing with
                  some big egos...

So, KDebian has a nice enough ring to it. If there is to be a schism, we have alternatives.
                  "We can rebuild him...we have the technology".

Meanwhile, enjoy the floor show and popcorn is available for a nominal fee in the lobby.
                  Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

Regardless, the issues in this dispute suggest a solution which I mentioned when Kubuntu was kicked to the curb by Canonical: move Kubuntu's base to Debian. Doing it now would be following ScottK and the majority of Kubuntu's developers away from Ubuntu/Canonical.
                    "My mind is going, Dave" - it's going nowhere GreyGeek. I've spent several hours reading pages but in a few paragraphs you said everything that was needed, both in clarifying what has gone before and where we will probably be going some day (soon?).

Thanks

Comment

I wonder if someone could write up a brief summary of the issues; I've tried to catch up by reading various pages linked to, but they all have OTHER links, and, honestly, I just don't have the energy to plod through all of it and sort it out! For those of us out of this particular loop, a brief summary, including why the people who've decided to leave Kubuntu are leaving Kubuntu, would be most appreciated. I'd also like to know what, if any, effect this whole thing will have on those of us who are just end-users of Kubuntu.
                      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                        I wonder if someone could write up a brief summary of the issues
                        Michael Larabel's summary is decent:
                        http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...CC-Controversy

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Yes, this is the overall best and most accurate, as far as I can see. Just don't read the comments. Phoronix seems to have become a cesspit in this regard sometimes

I also find it strange, sad, funny that so many of the "news" reports seem to focus on the topics that brought on the alleged violation of the CoC , and not much on the lack of evidence supporting these allegations, even taking them as actual fact.

The conspiracy theories are entertaining, as usual

Comment

Hey, Canonical's pet monkey previous "community" manager is back. And I'm pretty sure not even the ones he's trying to defend want him doing that.
                            http://www.jonobacon.org/2015/05/27/isupportcommunity/

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Thanks. Checking it out right now...
                              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com/201...rtunities.html

and

http://scarlettgatelyclark.com/2015/...ntu-developer/

Comment

Working...
                                X