This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlos Castaneda

I never really read him, but he was popular among my friends, or at least a good friend of mine.

"You must act as if you know what you are doing; when, in effect, you know nothing.
    -- Don Juan, Yaqui shaman"

@Qqmike

It appears to me that when you think you know a lot (in terms of rational knowledge) in effect you know least about the situation as it currently presents itself to you, because you are coming from past knowledge instead of current live knowledge of what is right in front of you.

I think it is understood in the way of dropping rational knowledge and talking directly to the world in which you live.

It is essentially a live knowing of every moment, and every moment can be different, and you don't grow stale in stale knowledge that was dedicated to the past or the conclusions of other people that are no longer around, or are certainly not around now.

Perhaps I would say that you are then acting out of a flow of information that constantly presents itself to you, and perhaps this is was Castaneda was alluding to? To surrender to the flow of the moment, and to become wickedly daring or courageous. With a conviction to stay attuned to that. To keep living that. I believe that is what "Don Juan" was espousing?

I did believe it has to do with being able to withstand the opinions of others as they are trying to break down your mode of staying within the moment and living according to your own highest goals. To live based on a Knowing that cannot arise out of past knowledge. And people generally distrust that Knowing, they distrust themselves. They distrust their intuition and their instincts, treating it as something of the past.

I had written here about the chakras but I want to keep it a little condensed:

I believe the 4th chakra is about Leadership and Following. The 5th chakra is about Speaking and Listening, or Commanding and Obeying. I believe that if the rage of previously missed opportunities takes charge, what you get is what we know as unwanted criticism. People trying to break down what you are doing, or becoming 'mad' at what you are trying to change. Rage is the anger of past opportunities. Rage is saying: "I don't believe anymore in what I wanted to do myself, and if you now do that thing I have always wanted to do or change myself, I'm going to get mad at you for having the audacity to do so or to think you are so big that you can do these things." (This is often outrage ;-), as a sidenote).

The 6th chakra maintains your own vision. If your vision is strong, you are not easily daunted by words and you can also easily listen. If your vision is weak, words of others take charge of you ?.

Staying within the flow of acting based on your innate knowing then requires a constant presence of a stable vision. I believe this is where security lies.

"Unwilling to speak, you must succumb to rage. Unable to order, you must fall at the behest of 'women' who then take charge and destroy your female 4th."

"Rage that orders around... can only lead to the destruction of the feminine."

When the female side of the 4th chakra takes control of relationship, what you get is that current relations become the model of what is to be, which in essence means that the 'stale' relations of today become what is desired of tomorrow, it is not changing, it is not dynamic, it seeks to stabilize by preventing change and creating fixed ties (where no sexuality is present).

I believe ridicule is something that happens when you try to do something new that other people have wanted to do before, but gave up on. If you are prone to succumb to ridicule, instead of letting it make you stronger, you cannot stay within the moment of acting on your own impulse.

It seems then that when you need to keep acting (3rd chakra) you require stability in your support relations (4th chakra) which requires a commanding nature or the ability to speak out (5th chakra) which requires a well-functioning 6th chakra that keeps your visions intact. Security then arises from stable vision.
    Last edited by xennex81; Mar 22, 2015, 03:36 AM.

security comes from the stability of your mental visions.
    Interesting.

Your post triggers some thoughts interspersed with more DJ/Casteneda quotes ... We are not to mistake words or perceptions for reality (consistent with what you are saying above). We've been told from an early age what and how to perceive. "But the world we perceive is an illusion ..." The map is not the territory. "Learn new ways to perceive the world, to let go without losing your marbles, to disrupt the routines of life ... A warrior treats the world as an endless mystery, and what people do as endless folly. Learn the art of acting with controlled folly ... All paths are equal ... a path is just a path ... all paths lead nowhere ...[but to your death]. What counts is choosing a path of heart, a path of heart is easy, it makes for a joyful journey ... The flaw with words is that they make us feel enlightened, but when we turn around to face the world, they always fail us and we end up facing the world as we always have, without enlightenment."
    And that's probably all I'm good for
    Last edited by Qqmike; Mar 21, 2015, 07:20 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ha, I recognise that last part .

Discovering to your dismay that you end up being the same person as you ever was with the same limitations.

Still not able to face certain things, or live through certain things, or uphold certain things (visions) in the face of counter-posing things.

But I like being a warrior ;-).

Comment

You may recognize this one from DJ,
        Focus
        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The work required is the same.
        Before his death, Castaneda wrote his final book, a summary of quotes from each of his previous books, along with commentary on each book, The Wheel of Time. I don't believe everything I read (anywhere), but Castaneda (somehow) coughed up some good stuff in his books; and the metaphysical implications are not inconsistent with some modern cosmology work or with NDE (near death experience) reports (mass, energy, time, illusion of reality, limitation of words (= models), et cetera).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I know, this is why my cousin (we are, or were at least both, extremely spiritually interested) was so enthusiast about Castaneda. And you know, you can interpret any condition the way you want to interpret it. If you fail, it could be because you are working to create something even more outstanding. If you die, it could be because you need to go down to the essence and deal with something to be reborn more fully. If someone rejects you, it can be because the person wants to accept you but circumstances dictate that she can't. And she just waits for a better opportunity. Actually this is true for all women everywhere . A person's mind is often different from what is being revealed to you out in full. Falling on your face means people can start being sympathetic towards you. Being surprised and losing can mean an enemy will look on you more kindly and end up on your side. I don't know. Just some references from my current life perhaps.

You can be exploring the depths of the human soul and you just need to go down there somewhere, down on your knees, or down in the mud, just to taste that little pebble that is hiding there. You're not failing. You are just trying to find the One Ring to Rule Them All .

Comment

And you know, you can interpret any condition the way you want to interpret it.
            As the head guys, the psych. guys, are fond of saying, it is not what happens to us that counts; it's how you interpret what happens that counts, it's the meaning you attach to events that counts [in your happiness or in your state of mind]. As the DJ quote implies, the work required is the same, whether the interpretation is positive or negative (for you).

Comment

xennex81 wrote:

"You must act as if you know what you are doing; when, in effect, you know nothing.
              -- Don Juan, Yaqui shaman"
              It could be argued that the previous, and more extreme progenetor of Castaneda was the mantra of Aliester Crowley.

Do what thou wilt shall be "The Whole Of the Law" (notice the use of caps in the adjectives) the Rule of Thelema........
              woodjustcommentingsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke It could be argued that the previous, and more extreme progenetor of Castaneda was the mantra of Aliester Crowley.
                No, not quite, don't think so, not even close.

Comment

Just a thought, of little worth!

woodjustsayin'smoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

But it would seem that Aliester Crowley is not the best of things to be compared against and I consider it a bit of an insult.

Comment

I can see your point xeenex81 but it was not so intended, I was merely indicating that he was an early advocate of the idea, although most would probably consider that he used it for nefarious purposes. He influenced many who were, and are, in the mindset.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

But what Idea? Are we talking about the same thing?

Please explain yourself then .

Comment

But what Idea? Are we talking about the same thing?
                          I'll second that. Imo, Aliester Crowley was, at best, a spoiled whack-job. How is he even remotely relevant in a discussion of Mexican-Indian shamanism (or the writings of Castaneda)?

Comment

Well, then people should,....maybe...., don't go there if you are not ready to GO there....., research the WHOLE history of the Golden Dawn all the way back to a certain woman named Sprengel.

woodjustsayinthatthepresentpoliticallycorrectpeopl emaynothavealltheinformationsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

My apologies, I seem to have brought this upon us by going into this alley lol.

But I am still wondering what this Idea is you are referencing without me having to go into a study of perhaps unrelated subjects....

Comment

Working...
                              X