Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone use Red Hat or some other distro in the 90s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    At first blush I didn't like Systemd because I misunderstood what a graphic about it was saying. However, the article you cited explained the goals and plan of attack very well and I am "all in" on it. Here are my notes on it:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hlight=systemd
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I used suse and Slackware mainly back in the late 90's

Comment

Corel Linux in the 90s, then Libranet (both Debian-based), Gentoo and finally settled on Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
          Libranet
          Libranet was the first Debian based distro I ever tried. I was really impressed. Unfortunately, the developer developed cancer and discontinued it so he could spend time with his family and with treatment.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Red Hat was heavily promoted in Australia in computer magazines, often it came on magazine cover Cd. V 5.2 from memory

i had a Debian obsessed online friend, and decided to give it a go after a while, shortly i was obsessed yes, Libranet was what he was recommending for me, but i was up for a challenge and went with Debian.

had a headless Pentium 233MHz mx under the desk with apache, mysql, squid, samba.. at one point that kick ass box ran for 3 months 24/7 - that was very impressive - it just took a while to hand configure everything.

to return to rpm based distro after that was not an option..

I did go with Suse some years later, mainly due to time constraints - and that worked out well at the time.

I have to admit, running a few distros around the house at the moment, some dual booting with Kubuntu, as Kubuntu seems the reliable one if things are going pear shape. like if there's issues with Suse have booted to Kubuntu to edit files on more than one occasion
            K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
              things are going pear shape
              We don't tolerate such fruitist talk here! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                We don't tolerate such fruitist talk here! LOL

K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

The months previous I had downloaded a bunch of floppies with parts of it but late 1997 I got my hands on a RH4.0 CD.

One reason was that at work we had for years been using Unix OS9 with utilities like the µMACS editor.

For a while and partially because of a lack of knowledge and support the installation was not particularly useful but once RH4.1 and 4.2 upgrades came out I could actually use it.
                  RH5.0 was an important upgrade by way of a new install, this was all on a 166MHz Pentium I. (still have it)

Once Fedora came out and I had trouble installing it I moved via Knoppix to Debian, what a relief to have deb in stead of rpm!
                  By now I had a 500MHZ PIII.

Then I heard of more HW compatibility from this Ubuntu and because I had already for a long time been preferring KDE it became Kubuntu.
                  And Kubuntu it still is
                  Last edited by Teunis; Oct 24, 2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    The months previous I had downloaded a bunch of floppies with parts of it but late 1997 I got my hands on a RH4.0 CD.

One reason was that at work we had for years been using Unix OS9 with utilities like the µMACS editor.

For a while and partially because of a lack of knowledge and support the installation was not particularly useful but once RH4.1 and 4.2 upgrades came out I could actually use it.
                    RH5.0 was an important upgrade by way of a new install, this was all on a 166MHz Pentium I. (still have it)

Once Fedora came out and I had trouble installing it I moved via Knoppix to Debian, what a relief to have deb in stead of rpm!
                    By now I had a 500MHZ PIII.

Then I heard of more HW compatibility from this Ubuntu and because I had already for a long time been preferring KDE it became Kubuntu.
                    And Kubuntu it still is
                    I might be geeky enough to hunt for old PCs at thrift stores that I can install Red Hat 4 and 5 onto. I'm already looking for an old one to install Windows 2000 onto. Long story -- I have some old Visual BASIC 6 code that I want to rewrite in C++ to run in Linux. Windows 2K runs in VirtualBox, but I can't get full screen size to save my life.

Until about a month ago I had an old Compaq luggable 8 Mghz (that's right) 286 with DR-DOS and WordStar 7.0 and a green monochrome screen. I used to use that thing in the pre-Internet 90s to write plays when the ultra buggy and unstable Win 3.1 and Win 95 had some along and I just wanted to write with no hassles. I'm severely bummed that I tried to boot it up to see history, only to find that the old hard drive had finally crashed.

I've also considered grabbing an old Kaypro II with CP/M off eBay or somewhere before they're considered rare and pricey. That's the first kind of PC I ever had. I had that and used it as a glorified typewriter with WordStar 3.3 and later New Word (a WordStar mimic program).
                    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                    ================================

Comment

I used OS/2 and Mandrake in the 90's

Still using Redhat 4!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        Still using Redhat 4!
                        On what hardware?

Comment

Dell Opterons circa 2005. Supposedly getting software upgrade this year. It's a stand-alone LAN (no WAN) so no updating has been done since install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X