This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus ChromeBox i3 model with ChromeOS - Review

I got the family a new toy; an Asus Chromebox, model M075U. It came with a wireless keyboard and mouse (including batteries for same). After a $50 rebate, it was delivered for $310 Seemed a reasonable price for the features, which include N class wifi plus gigabit ethernet, bluetooth, 1.7ghz i3 dual core CPU, 4gb RAM, 16GB ssd, Intel HD 4400 graphics, 4 - yes 4 USB 3.0 ports, an MMC/SD card reader. No cables, but I wouldn't expect any at this price level. They have a cheaper model that uses a Celeron CPU, 2gb RAM less, and no keyboard/mouse combo for about $140 less, but since it's not really upgrade-able I thought the CPU and extra RAM were worth it. The keyboard/mouse were just a freebie IMO.

It's got ChromeOS on it but it's easily unlock-able and Linux can be installed. But since it's new, I've decided to live with ChromeOS for a bit and see what works and what does not.

Hardware setup and installation:

First impression: The box is heavy. About twice as heavy as I expected. The thing is less than 90MM each way and only 40mm think (both approx.) yet the box was hefty. Also extremely well packaged. I love it when a manufacturer takes the time and spends the money on good safe packaging. I opened her up and found: Chromebox, VESA bracket (for monitor back-side mounting), power adapter, minimal instruction books (like I'd read those anyway), and it included the screws need for the VESA install! An unexpected bonus!

I have spare monitors, so I grabbed a 24" Samsung that was under-utilized. The beauty of this monitor is the stand does not use the VESA holes and the Asus box came with a VESA bracket (75mm) that fit it. It took me less than 2 minutes, using the included screws to install the bracket and slide the unexpectedly heavy Chromebox into place - two of the screws are for the underside of the Chromebox and allow it to easily slide onto the bracket's slots. The Chromebox only has HDMI and DisplayPort connections and the Samsung is the lowest-of-the-low end of their products and only has VGA and DVI connections. That's OK: I went to the box of spare parts and grabbed an HDMI-to-DVI cable and plugged it in. I then plugged in the wireless receiver for the mouse/keyboard and the power supply. In total - less than 5 minutes installation!

I did all this at the backside of my desk, then hit the power button and walked around to the other side. By the time I sat down, the OS was done loading and the screen was asking me to log in and setup my new device! Nice. Unfortunately, had not yet unpackaged the mouse/keyboard yet so that took a few more minutes (those pesky AAA tightly packaged batteries!). Then, I logged into my Google account, waited a few ticks while it synced with my stuff, then it was good to go. All-in-all the easiest initial setup I've ever experienced. Within 3-4 minutes, it asked for a reboot to update the software, 2 minutes later I was back at log in. Very efficiently done.

Software:

Honestly, I haven't used it much yet, so I'll have to add more about this later. I can say the account handling is excellent. You can setup your account from your Google log in, you can use it as a Guest, AND you can create "Supervised" accounts! I didn't know about this feature when I bought it, but I love it! This computer will allow me to create and control access to web content for my 11 year-old daughter. I can see what see has done, block adult content, and approve or disapprove app installation requests. Amazing! - I love it.

Negatives?:

I suppose the main downside is if you're not a Goggle user, you won't get much of an experience, software-wise. I don't live in Goggle-Fear so I'm OK with it. Plus, I can always flip a simple switch on the box and install Linux on it down the road. But for now; the restricted account feature, the fact that it plays Netflix, the speed with which boots up and shuts down (mere seconds), and the lack of setup/installation duties all add up to me leaving it as-is for now.

My future requirements are that it will have to share files via my server and access my printer. These are potential deal-breakers as I will require them at some point. An assortment of games for the family would be nice too, but doesn't rise to the level have-to-have.

I'll post more when I've had more time with it. Currently my daughter thinks it's hers!

I'm interested to hear anyone else's ChromeOS or device experiences.

Please Read Me

Thanks for posting the review, I was considering getting one of these but in the end urgency led me to get an Intel NUC when I had those problems with my Pi. Depending on your experiences I might pick one up if I need another compact server.

I'd be interested in your experiences when (not if - we all know it's just a matter of time ) you come to install a more traditional linux distro on it!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Ok, so been using it for a week or so.

Printing: It seems printing via google cloud is the only printing support. Not a problem here as I already have a networked and cloud supported printer. Done.

Server file access: No real networking file manager on ChromeOS so I set up a very basic apache page that I can browse to within my home network. I also changed my DLNA server from Serviio to Plex. Plex has great multi-device support and is even supported by Samsung TV's (of which I have 1) so that change was a big plus even without the ChromeBox. Now I can watch my videos, view the family photos and play music within my home network from my server on my TV, my Roku boxes, the ChromeBox, and with my tablets and phones - Very nice! Since I'm starting a new job soon which will require travel, I paid for the premium Plex service which will allow me to use the server media from anywhere.

I also have discovered that upgrading the box is possible. It already has 4GB RAM and I think that's sufficient. The 16GB ssd will actually be fine also if I continue to use the box as a Chrome device, but it's easily upgrade-able too. I think with 16GB there's even enough room for a dual boot Linux setup as long as I keep /home off the device.

As my friend Feather's points out, I will likely attempt to dual boot and see how it performs with Linux. I think the specs are great for it's cost and size so I'm sure it will be a fine little Linux box. It's got's a better CPU than my current server. You could easily plug this into a USB 3.0 drive and have a great Linux desktop/server.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X