This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why close the thread

I was in a conversation with a few members in this thread http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...nch-of-commies and yet not long after my post some one II'm assuming Snowhog) had closed it without any explanation.

I know the thread was a bit political / religious but surely that alone cannot be the reason why it was closed.

I am amazed that in the "land of the free" and a country that has free speech in its constitution that someone from that country can close a thread simply because they don't like its content.

Hypercritical!

Edit: Apologies to Snowhog
    Last edited by Guest; Oct 13, 2013, 05:35 AM.

Are you sure it is closed? If so, maybe a mistake? Wait for the mods to come around this morning (here). I read the thread just now, thoroughly, carefully, or at least I thought I did, and didn't see even a speck of anything offensive or worthy of censorship.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, where you would normally see the '+Reply to Thread' button is a 'Thread Closed' button.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Not sure if it is closed but is definitely locked.

Comment

Of course it may not have been closed by an administrator might have been the thread creator. But I didn't even know the creator of the thread can close it.

If that is the case then I apologise to Snowhog.

Edit: I have just gone in to a thread I created and have discovered that the thread can be closed by the creator. I never noticed that before.
          Last edited by Guest; Oct 13, 2013, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Just an observation, 'our' moderators here are generally quite lenient and allow discussions that other fora would shut down.
            This forum might be hosted in the Land of the Free but it obviously has it's own rules, I assume mainly to keep the general welcoming, call it family friendly, atmosphere in tact.

The tread in question does to me not go nearly as far in ruffling some feathers, if at all, as others here have done and as you can see one of the mods put in his own insights.

Indeed, it looks like it was accidentally closed.

Comment

Was wondering the same, it was all pretty good natured stuff.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              ruffling some feathers
              Bad, unintended pun?

If it was indeed closed by accident, and not because the mods thought it inappropriate, we could continue here if you like?

Ruffled Feathers
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I too noticed it had been locked. However, all the locked threads I have seen on this board that were locked by a Mod include an explanation why as the final post and in every case it was clear the thread had deteriorated into something not beneficial to the forum or the public in general. I saw neither of these things, so I assumed the lock was accidental or done by the thread starter.

Please Read Me

Comment

I only went to the thread in question because it was locked. Thought someone had crossed boundaries. No response, just locked. Puzzling.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Yes, it was I. Sometimes I get a bit to 'sensitive'. I ask your forgiveness. The thread in question has been unlocked. I'll head the comment as to including a reason (which I should have). I don't want to be perceived as, or worse, actually become overbearing here. I don't mind (and sometimes, actually need) the occasional 'rap up side the head' to bring me back down to earth.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well Snowhog, I was the last poster before the thread was closed - if it was what I said that upset you then sorry

I thought the caveat about correlation =/= causation would make it clear I was trying to be fair!
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Nothing on your part. I sit on the side-lines observing. I have a tendency at times to act preemptively based on what I think I see. Again, my 'bad', not yours, so no apology needed.

I (unfortunately ) am human, and as one, make mistakes. I'm willing (and hopefully will continue) to acknowledge when I do.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't see what all the fuss is about, AFAIAC, I could easily see that thread get out of hand myself, I don't blame Snow for being 'preemptive', this is a family friendly forum primarily for assistance with Kubuntu or any other OS for that matter, even I am guilty of letting some of my extreme views 'fly' occasionally. Russia has moved away from communism and religion is and always will be a hot potato. Microslop is always fair game to me, lol.
                          Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 13, 2013, 12:05 PM. Reason: Dang Typos :(

Comment

Well, if it was me, and it PROBABLY was! then I heartily apologize to all for the waste of time and server space.

woodapologeticsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                              Was wondering the same, it was all pretty good natured stuff.

Bad, unintended pun?

If it was indeed closed by accident, and not because the mods thought it inappropriate, we could continue here if you like?

Ruffled Feathers
                              Hehe, while typing this link did cross my mind but it was fully unintentional

Comment

Working...
                              X