X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for my dream keyboard

Hi
    I'm in the market for a keyboard with the following features:

- High quality mechanical keys Cherry switches or bucking spring like the old IBM keyboards
    - Must be backlit (preferrably blue)
    - I prefer PS/2 connector
    - Must be compatible with Linux (if it comes with a CD to load drivers, it's probably not compatible)
    - Matte Black in color
    - media controls are required

Does such a keyboard even exist? Let me know if anyone knows of something like this. Thanks.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Hey, 1989 called. They want their keyboard back...

Seriously, good luck finding a keyboard that's a throw-back that far into the past.

This is a close as I know of: http://steelseries.com/us/products/k...eelseries-6gv2

Do computers still come with PC keyboard ports? I know you can get a USB to PC port adapter.

Here's my idea of a cool keyboard: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e-...oard/x/4105147

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Mmmmm, "extreme anti-ghosting." Don't cross the streams!

Comment

Hi,
        actually just about anykeyboard that will support back to XP should work with Linux.

I, personally, will only use an "ergonomic" keyboard because it GREATLY reduces wrist strain, and no, it is not a problem to use a "regular" keyboard at work between times.

As to a "backlit", the term backlit is used and also "illuminated"

Here is a modded ergonomic, in which the guy popped the top, a couple of screws have to be removed, and then "snaked" some blue led wire trough the back keyboard, drilled a small hole for the entry, put it back together.

it really would be an easy mod, I've done similar in the past.

sorry for the honkin' big image!

These are all "ebay" so they may not be there when you click them but here is a "regular" that is "illuminated"

It is a "GeniusK" and is available in "changeable" red or blue:

Now....yessss...it is a "gaming" keyboard, but that basically means that keys are "assignable", I think it should work ok.

The intended OSs are XP and Vista, it has heavy duty, and overly large keys, and is designed for "abuse"...so spilled coffee should be ok.

And, again, it has keys that are assignable, for "calculator", music, etc.

Actually, this is probably one I would spend money on if I didn't use ergonomic.

Here is another but I don't know if the particular keys are what you want.

Most of the keyboards of this type have the "chicklet" keys or "soft membrane" keys, HOWEVER, neither of those terms was used by reviewers.

It does not SEEM to be that they are chicklet, it looks, to these rum 'n coke besodden eyes as if they are regular keys.

The intensity of the lights can be changed

again, just about any keyboard that will work with microsith up through vista should be fine, whether it is usb or regular plugin.

The trick is that "in Linux" you will have to go to the control panel and choose from the list to find "correct" one for any non-standard keys, but any keyboard should "just work" with Linux nowadays.

hope this helps a little.

woodmoddedWAAAYtoomanykeyboards! lol smoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Would the one remaining person on Earth who uses the number pad just die already? I would love for manufacturers to lop that useless five inches off the right side of the keyboard so that I can snuggle my mouse closer, and thus reduce a lot of extraneous side-to-side movement of my right arm.

(Oshun, no jokes about right hands, please. KTHXBAI)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Would the one remaining person on Earth who uses the number pad just die already? I would love for manufacturers to lop that useless five inches off the right side of the keyboard so that I can snuggle my mouse closer, and thus reduce a lot of extraneous side-to-side movement of my right arm.
            When I was shopping around for a new keyboard last year, I saw a fair few that didn't have number pads... not that I would buy one so lacking, as I use my number pad pretty frequently.

Alas, I didn't see anything that met all of the OP's requirements though.

(Edit) If you really want a keyboard that will leave a lot of room for your mouse, try this one.
            Last edited by HalationEffect; Aug 03, 2013, 01:57 AM.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I use an "old" Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard with the Gnome15 daemon for my keys (also works with my Logitech G-35 usb headset). My keys are backlit blue, I can adjust the backlight brightness and it has a small lcd.

I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

My former career was Air Traffic. When I left the En Route environment and went to Approach Control, the RADAR processing system we used was ARTS IIIe. Due to the lack of (supposedly) space on the RADAR display console, the builders of the equipment (either Univac or Bouroughs) decided to compress the keyboard.

The picture. although poor, shows the result. Using standard sized keys, the whole thing was no more than 11 inches across. The genius behind this idea also decided that since the keys were no longer staggered like a typewriter, they need not be in the same order. Thus, the orange colored set in the lower left portion is the alpha keys and they are in ALPHABETICAL order!

That's right - All of us coming from years of the QWERTY keyboards (starting in grade school typing class) looked down and saw ABCDEF! The darker green keys on the right are the num-pad, the two bright green rows are function keys and the 4 in the corner were punctuation.

The engineer that did this has a special place in hell all his own.

BTW: @Steve, I've been meaning to ask; Why is your right bicep so much larger than your left? Is it from playing with your "horn?"

Dang it - I couldn't help myself. Just lay out the bait and I'll swallow the whole darn hook! :evil:
                Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                  I use an "old" Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard with the Gnome15 daemon for my keys (also works with my Logitech G-35 usb headset). My keys are backlit blue, I can adjust the backlight brightness and it has a small lcd.

That's one nice looking keyboard! Makes a laptop guy like me a tad envious!!
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    That's one nice looking keyboard! Makes a laptop guy like me a tad envious!!
                    My doesn't look quite like that. Mine is about 7yrs old and, well, used
                    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

That keyboard is a beast. It's bigger than my laptop! lol...

Please Read Me

Comment

It's missing only a warp drive throttle

Comment

It's missing only a warp drive throttle
                          G16=Slower
                          G17=Faster
                          G18= Holy ****!!

Comment

Would the one remaining person on Earth who uses the number pad just die already?
                            ekkktually...I use it regularly to enter grades.

so with the one remaining person and moi, that makes two! lol

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

oshunluver

actually for a "hunt and peck" person alphabetical has been shown to work better.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X