This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security principles you should NOT follow

In light of what happened at ubuntuforums, I think it's good to know important things about security, especially passwords. I've laid out some principles that will help keep you safe. Here they are.

1. Always use only one password for everything. This will help you to not forget your password. It's fine to use the same password that you use at disgustingperverts.com as you use at your banking institution.
    2. Use a really short password, especially if it's a simple word with no numbers.
    3. If you must use numbers in a password, make it something easy to remember like your birth date or your phone number.
    4. The word "sex" makes a great password. It's easy to remember and no one will guess that you think about it all the time.
    5. Never mind using a password for your home Wifi network and share all hard drives and printers on the network.
    6. Invite your neighbors to use your wifi in exchange for those great brownies that they make.
    7. Always write out your password on a post it and stick it on the side of your monitor so that you'll never forget it. This is expecially smart to do in the workplace.
    8. If you're involved in any activities that could be interpreted as illegal, make sure to discuss them on the cell phone and on wireless telephones. This helps you avoid bugs.
    9. If you have a child, it's great practice to use his or her name as your password.
    10. Watch for e-mails from your bank. They alert you about important things. You should always log in when you get one of these important e-mails.
    11. You can make a lot of money from a Nigerian prince. Watch for his e-mails.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

big thank you from PRISM admin !!!

Comment

If you must share your user id and password for a site with someone else, always send it to them by email.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
        If you must share your user id and password for a site with someone else, always send it to them by email.
        Separate emails. One with the user id; the other with the password.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
          In light of what happened at ubuntuforums, I think it's good to know important things about security, especially passwords. I've laid out some principles that will help keep you safe. Here they are.

1. Always use only one password for everything. This will help you to not forget your password. It's fine to use the same password that you use at disgustingperverts.com as you use at your banking institution.
          2. Use a really short password, especially if it's a simple word with no numbers.
          3. If you must use numbers in a password, make it something easy to remember like your birth date or your phone number.
          4. The word "sex" makes a great password. It's easy to remember and no one will guess that you think about it all the time.
          5. Never mind using a password for your home Wifi network and share all hard drives and printers on the network.
          6. Invite your neighbors to use your wifi in exchange for those great brownies that they make.
          7. Always write out your password on a post it and stick it on the side of your monitor so that you'll never forget it. This is expecially smart to do in the workplace.
          8. If you're involved in any activities that could be interpreted as illegal, make sure to discuss them on the cell phone and on wireless telephones. This helps you avoid bugs.
          9. If you have a child, it's great practice to use his or her name as your password.
          10. Watch for e-mails from your bank. They alert you about important things. You should always log in when you get one of these important e-mails.
          LOL ,,,,,,,,OK kinda funny ........BUT

************************************************** ************** WARNING ************************************************** ************************

if you are new to computers do not take this as advice on what to do but just the opposite!!!

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            if you are new to computers do not take this as advice on what to do but just the opposite!!!
            And if the warning is necessary...chances are you're already penniless, in jail, missing fingers and dead...twice

Comment

Sad thing is, numerous things on that list are ones that I personally know of people doing. At one company where I worked, I was assigned the task of going from desk to desk making people shred the Post-Its that they had written their password on and stuck to their monitor. I even had one lady throw a fit over my instructions and had to summon the main boss to come back me up. She was really mad when she was told she had to change her password and would not be allowed to use Post Its for it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                How about sending it to all the mailing lists you can think of, the recipient might be subscribed to one of them.

Comment

In real corporate settings, with centrally-managed IT, this is called single signon. It is truly convenient, both for employees and attackers.

I don't know any words with numbers in them, so how does length matter here?

Wait, these aren't words. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

It also makes a great hobby, especially when your neighbors want to express their thanks for that awesome wi-fi you have.

It's very dangerous to walk up and down stairs while carrying hard drives and printers, so this suggestion will help keep you safe.

Don't forget to bring the lube, too.

Some people sell Post-It pads with pre-written passwords on eBay. This alleviates the drudgery of having to devise your own password list.

In the summer, bugs can be especially nasty, particularly when they get trapped in your brownies or smothered by lube. Do whatever you can to keep them away.

Borg children have great passwords with numbers. Eight-of-ten follows this advice all the time.

My bank says I should bring my brownies to their next bake sale, what do you think they might do to me in return? They also want me to change my password to the same one I use for eBay. Is that OK?

He wanted to borrow my wi-fi the other day. I told him no, because he wasn't my type. Then I think he put some bugs in my brownies. They're really slippery.

Comment

Boy, Steve is in an ornery mood today!

Please Read Me

Comment

Must be due to that last piece of pie!!
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm just trying to get my post count up to 6,000 today. See? One more closer!

Comment

Man, the forums are on a roll today. Stop it people...I don't have time to read everything....and I'm running out of quarter-witty remarks. QED.

Comment

kubicle, "Man, the forums are on a roll today."

It's been a reminder to me that I need to lighten up a bit here! Chasing each one of these with some serious, insightful comment (or effort at such) makes you (e.g., me) look like an idiot! :-)
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

Some people sell Post-It pads with pre-written passwords on eBay. This alleviates the drudgery of having to devise your own password list.
                              I had a self-inking rubber stamp made with my password, which is "tomsmoochcherylin" and I stamp it all over everywhere, both at home and in the workplace. That's the PG-rated version. I have an X-rated one too, which I also stamped everywhere. Of course, Cherylin is an attractive woman at work whom I'm not in a relationship with. She's filed sexual harrassment charges against me, but at least I'm really sure I won't forget my password now.

Comment

Working...
                              X