Clear All

Here's aseigo (mr. plasma) on Mir:
    https://plus.google.com/107555540696...ts/hzRy1rJaafc

Edit:
    And from mgraesslin (mr. kwin)
    http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo.../war-is-peace/

Exerpt:
    Will KWin support Mir? No!
    Last edited by kubicle; Mar 05, 2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Ah well, there'll still be Debian to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        Here's aseigo (mr. plasma) on Mir:
        https://plus.google.com/107555540696...ts/hzRy1rJaafc

Edit:
        And from mgraesslin (mr. kwin)
        http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo.../war-is-peace/

Exerpt:
        Thanks for those links. My feelings toward Canonical get more negative every day...

Comment

There is no way they can build a working display manager in another year. At least not for the desktop. I get the impression Ubuntu is abandoning the desktop. If they actually follow through it will be three years before Unity on the desktop would be usable.

Comment

In various other threads and other fora, I have posted that I have successfully installed, and ran for extended periods of time "KDE", Cinnamon, etc. atop Unity.

When I posted that in the several cases that I could "discern" an "ambience" that was different in some undefinable way from the "ground up OS"..., the few, and rather dismissive, replies were that a pretty face on an OS is just a pretty face on an OS.

So...one must assume that indeed, a pretty face on an OS is just a pretty face on an OS.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Debian is great (I used it before coming to kubuntu and still do). My problem with debian is that even unstable drags behind in KDE versions (even more so now that debian is in freeze). Kubuntu devs do a great job with packaging fresh (and pre-release) KDE, which is essential for me...and the main and only (aside from these forums, of course ) reason to stick with kubuntu.

Originally posted by pauly View Post
              There is no way they can build a working display manager in another year.
              I'm sure they can build "something", expecting it to be any good is another thing.

I'm expecting a half-arsed python daemon that moves the window controls if you try to hit them with your mouse, sells your private data to the highest bidder, prevents you from posting anything critical of canonical online and pops out dialogs that praise Shuttleworth in the best North-Korean fashion every few minutes...so it wouldn't be hard for them to exceed my expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                Hopefully Kubuntu in its current or similar form will continue to exist, otherwise:

Comment

Debian is great (I used it before coming to kubuntu and still do). My problem with debian is that even unstable drags behind in KDE versions (even more so now that debian is in freeze).
                  I think the idea was for Kubuntu devs to fall back to Debian as a base.
                  Mint's KDE team is also behind compared to Kubuntu, and they build some releases from debian and some from ubuntu. I wonder if some co-op work wouldn't be good for both projects (let mint focus on gnome/xfce/lmde and Kubuntu pickup the mint kde team and users).

Comment

Originally posted by Notsonoble View Post
                    I think the idea was for Kubuntu devs to fall back to Debian as a base.
                    Mint's KDE team is also behind compared to Kubuntu, and they build some releases from debian and some from ubuntu. I wonder if some co-op work wouldn't be good for both projects (let mint focus on gnome/xfce/lmde and Kubuntu pickup the mint kde team and users).
                    Mint will still have the issue of being Ubuntu based. Unless Mint switches over to Debian as its primary base then it won't really help. Plus at the moment Kubuntu devs get access to quite a few resources from Canonical like build servers etc and would be a shame if they lost that. Yes Canonical doesn't actively fund Kubuntu's development anymore but they continue to provide infrastructure as they do for Lubuntu or Xubuntu or Edubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                      Kubuntu devs get access to quite a few resources from Canonical like build servers etc and would be a shame if they lost that. Yes Canonical doesn't actively fund Kubuntu's development anymore but they continue to provide infrastructure as they do for Lubuntu or Xubuntu or Edubuntu.
                      I understand that but the more Canonical moves in its current direction the less I expect Kubuntu to be able to continue on on Ubuntu's infrastructure. It would be a shame to loose that, but I think it will be inevitable. If Canonical pushes mir the way they pushed Unity, Kubuntu will have to chose between that infrastructure support, and a working display server.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Hopefully Kubuntu in its current or similar form will continue to exist, otherwise:

Or Mepis maybe.
                        Anyway! I hope Kubuntu will survive this situation.

Meanwhile, this is an interesting interview (How will changes at Ubuntu affect Kubuntu: exclusive interview with Jonathan Riddell), in case someone didn't read it yet:
                        http://www.muktware.com/5369/how-wil...nathan-riddell
                        Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
                        nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
                        eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Originally posted by Achaean View Post
                          Meanwhile, this is an interesting interview (How will changes at Ubuntu affect Kubuntu: exclusive interview with Jonathan Riddell), in case someone didn't read it yet:
                          http://www.muktware.com/5369/how-wil...nathan-riddell
                          From the interview:

"Launchpad and Bazaar are both in maintinance mode"

Whaaaa...?

Oh. http://lwn.net/Articles/515652/

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            "Launchpad and Bazaar are both in maintinance mode"
                            Doesn't really surprise me, Canonical lacks the skill players to make anything that would actually measure up to the competition...and their CLA effectively blocks anyone who would know what they are doing (or anyone who is sane) from contributing. Their pet projects are doomed to fail if nothing changes (and it probably won't).

Comment

An interesting article about Canonical's plans on Mir

And another article
                              Last edited by Guest; Mar 13, 2013, 05:54 AM. Reason: added another link to another article

Comment

Doesn't really surprise me, Canonical lacks the skill players to make anything that would actually measure up to the competition...and their CLA effectively blocks anyone who would know what they are doing (or anyone who is sane) from contributing. Their pet projects are doomed to fail if nothing changes (and it probably won't).
                                Ever try OBS? Its pretty much what I consider the pinnacle of Linux packaging. One service that packages for 10+ distros with different versions so in essence its more like 40+ distros... Its beautiful. Plus the package search etc is really nice. All openSUSE need is some kind of app store like Muon (Might I add that Muon is really a great competitive advantage to Kubuntu.) that could integrate with the web repositories would be great. Maybe integrating ppa's with Muon could be a future goal? Either way, I think Muon has the best app store in the linux community and has a pretty good package manager too.

I would hate for the amazing Kubuntu community (best forums in the Linux world by a huge margin) and its small but incredibly talented and committed developer team to be destroyed by Canonical. Blue Systems taking on devs was extremely fortunate but losing our base distro would be a nasty set back... Still, I have a feeling that things aren't going to change too drastically too quickly. Mir is still little more than a demo. Although Canonical may be retarted when it comes to community relations; they do know how to produce repeatedly one of the best distro bases on the planet and they won't stop anytime soon.

Have a look at Muon 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO9xr...TXZvpA&index=1 See the potential? Its gorgeous, simple, and even integrates KDE-app.org and kde-look.org.

Comment

Working...
                                X