This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing maintenance on Vista machine brought Bing desktop

I seldom use the Vista machine except for a crossword puzzle program and a test generation proggy for the college.

So, it's main exercise nowadays is for me to do maintenance on it!

And in the really annoying updates thing....usually have to reboot.... and it takes FOREVER to do what would seem to be simple things...

I saw "Bing desktop" in "updates".....kinda odd I thought....I have seen the adverts on the telly so I let my fingers do the walkin and found this very nice review about how it

is not really a "desktop"....it just plops a search bar in the middle of the screen for Bing..and downloads some crapware.

Here is a nice article with screenys if anyone is in the least interested!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...ally-spamware/

woodnottickingtheboxsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

OMG Somebody stilll uses Vista ! I could see Win 7 (even I still have it on my PC) or even XP, but Vista?
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
      OMG Somebody stilll uses Vista ! I could see Win 7 (even I still have it on my PC) or even XP, but Vista?
      So what is a Vista owner supposed to do? Send more money to MS?
      Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

ReactOS?
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Wine?

Could Bing (or Google) desktop work with Wine or Crossover?
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Hey wood, I think your spell check is broke, lol, did you mean Bung? (as in dunghole bung? lol).

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              is not really a "desktop"....it just plops a search bar in the middle of the screen for Bing..and downloads some crapware
              I seem to remember seeing something like that on the Dell laptop that I purchased last year. It came with Windows 7 pre-installed.

It is now MS-free and I dual boot between Ubuntu and Kubuntu. :cool:

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              So what is a Vista owner supposed to do? Send more money to MS?
              I still have a laptop with Vista on it. I've never really understood why everyone thinks that Vista is so bad but Windows 7 is so much better.

In fact Windows 7 is identifies itself as Windows 6.1. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
                I still have a laptop with Vista on it. I've never really understood why everyone thinks that Vista is so bad but Windows 7 is so much better.

In fact Windows 7 is identifies itself as Windows 6.1. :eek:
                A lot of it may have hads to do with the system requirements for Vista compared to XP and the "Vista Capable" debacle with low-end machines at the time.
                The computer I am using originally had Vista on it. I had no real issues with it, just some getting used to. I have since upgraded it to 7 and it works quite well, though I haven't used it much as I have Kubuntu as the boot default (with grub installed to the MBR).

Comment

Lol quite a few replies! lol

"Bung"... don't see it I guess a little elf fixed it.

As to using wine etc. the two apps are pretty old, so "should" work under the under WINE etc, but because of javascripts etc. they only "halfway" work.

Ekkktuoooly..... I thought Vista was just about as good as Microsith was going to produce ....it has always been rocksolid for me. But, I didn't put it to that much work, using, mainly the two proggys.

One time it just crashed, for some unknown, reason, possibly because I had installed two Linuxs along side and was trying to jam an other in! lol

It was/is "not that hard" on "resources" when one considers the follow on products.

And, Calligra suite runs just marvy under it. Also the KDE "suite" runs ok except for some kind of MYSQL problem with Akonadai. I've posted at a variety of places, from MYSQL fora to KDE fora and nobody really seems to have an answer or even seems to have the desire to find one.

And that may be because of general dislike for the old woodsmoker or it may be that there really is a problem...don't know...

But, the ONLY real problem that I have EVER had with it was that some keystroke combinations, it is on a Sony Vaio lappy, bounce the cursor all around a document, and yes, I've fiddled with setting the correct keyboard.

So....anyway... if anyone has actually USED the wonderbar bar.... I'd like to know what they think about it.

woodwillneverinstallanotherMSproductwhenIhaveacrac kedVistacdsmoke lol
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    Lol quite a few replies! lol

"Bung"... don't see it I guess a little elf fixed it.
                    It was a joke...Bing/Bung, nebbermind, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      It was a joke...Bing/Bung, nebbermind, lol.
                      I got it...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X