• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Navy turns to Linux to run its drone fleet

This is interesting.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...s-drone-fleet/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...ggest-win/3690
    Last edited by pauly; Aug 14, 2012, 11:06 AM.

Can you imagine if it ran on Windows, the drones will be crashing all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
      Dozens have.
      http://wramsite.com/forum/topics/win...-alleged-drone
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
        It does and did and now the Iranians have a beautiful new stealth drone to do backward compatibility on.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middl...engineer-Video

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Wow that is really interesting. Thanks

Comment

I dont know why the US military didnt move everything to Linux years ago. Security issues aside, because its open source, you can do what ever you want with it. If the US military hired a team of programmers they could have custom OSs for everything.

Comment

Here is a rather sideways article from an IBM guy that is promoting open source and mentions a big confab wherein police etc. are asking for open source software, not too long a read.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11660...-software.html

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

re the linky to the drones being spoofed etc.

Back in Viet-Nam the radio operators were continually warned to not throw down a walkie talkie that had the batteries run out on it. The thinking being that those stupid people from the jungle can't get batteries anyway...only those stupid people used grapefruits to power the radios and listened in on what we were saying....

and they were listening to WHAT was being said because our people wouldn't go to the trouble to use simple codes.

The Navy ships had what was called a "wheel code". It was basically a simplified circular slide rule that was adjusted using an alphanumeric code sent out from Naval Command and when it was worked out then one went to a simple page in a book and used that code set.

But, no....people wouldn't even go to the trouble to do that....and people died because of it.

Looks like things haven't changed much, people are still people and think that other people are stupid.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Too bad Raytheon likely won't contribute anything back to the linux community.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Too bad Raytheon likely won't contribute anything back to the linux community.
                    Like drivers for this frickin intercontinental ballistic missile that I cant get to work.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      Like drivers for this frickin intercontinental ballistic missile that I cant get to work.
                      I think there's a PPA for that. But we need to see the output of "lsmod | grep mutuallyassureddestruction" to help.

Comment

You know, I was speaking in the general sort of "Big companies using linux to make millions but not giving anything back to the linux commmunity" way but I never thought about turning my RC Helicopter into a Spy Drone! Great idea!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                          I think there's a PPA for that. But we need to see the output of "lsmod | grep mutuallyassureddestruction" to help.
                          First, you must RTFM.
                          Code:
                          man how-to-build-a-bomb

Comment

It's good to see the American military finally coming to it's senses regarding national security. The world must embrace open source.

Comment

Working...
                            X