Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used Kubuntu since 6.06, it was given away free on a magazine. So I thought I'd give it a go.
    I've tried many other distributions with many different desktops. Always had a Kubuntu on a spare disc.
    Having started with Kubuntu I just got used to how it works, So stayed with it.

I even “enjoyed” the transition to KDE 4!

Dolphin,Gwenview, System settings are nice bits of KDE. Kontact is getting better all the time.

Kubuntu being built on a Ubuntu base means pretty much everything is available for easy installation.

So I will be sticking with Kubuntu, I'm not stuck with it.
    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

1. DEB packaging is way better than RPM.
      2. Large community of users (*buntu).
      3. Helpful forum.
      4. KDE is the best DE.

p.s. Not to speak for the OP, but I believe the context in which "stuck with" was used meant "continued to use/support" rather than "unable to discard/escape from." As in; "You still using Kuuntu?" "Yup. I love it so I've stuck with it."

Please Read Me

Comment

Well for me, Kubuntu has always been interesting, but since I mainly use a netbook I always refused installing Kubuntu permanently due to performance issues. (Im not saying Kubuntu ran bad, it just did not run as well as I wanted it to. Also I weighed configurability and smooth performance over eye-candy)

But that has changed since Kubuntu 12.04. Mainly because
        - it feels much faster than the older releases
        - its comfortable to use
        - and runs even better than gnome3, unity
        - and is easier to configure than xubuntu, lubuntu
        - but most importantly: it has simple, built-in-features that help me save screen space (for example "removing the title bars of certain windows, e.g. firefox; which is not so easy on xubuntu, lubuntu and works on gnome only with compiz and only for maximized windows (!state=maxvert if you know what I mean))

I have to add, that for the next 5 years I will not be switching to another distro

EDIT: I am not talking of the netbook-interface; that I find confusing.
        Last edited by Caaarl; Jul 29, 2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          I will reuse this
          I used the A word a lot there.
          PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

I love its pure, unmitigated, raw POWER! It allows me to do more with fewer keystrokes or mouse clicks than ANY other OS available. Dolphin is just an example.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I now have Kubuntu installed on my desktop, my netbook, and dearly beloved's laptop.
              I like the power of KDE and the fact that it all just works.
              But more than anything else I love this helpful and very friendly forum.
              That just does it for me.

Comment

I ended up with Kubuntu purely by chance. I had a stressful experience with a virus using Microbsolete OS last November. I decided I spent too much time and money dealing with that threat constantly, so I decided to try Linux. I asked my brother to help me get started with it. He had a Kubuntu 11.10 live CD and we installed it on my machine. At first I was put off with the milquetoast defaults. I figured I would play with it while trying out other distros until I found one I liked. While I was trying other distros out I discovered myself comparing them to Kubuntu as the benchmark and found the others lacking. The more I tweaked it, the more I discovered I could do. I'm still using Kubuntu and it still is suprising me. I'm still trying out other distros and probably always will, but I suspect I'll always have the latest version of Blue K on some partition. The help found here is no small part of the equation also.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  The people matter more than the bits.
                  true but the bits are good here too
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    I love its pure, unmitigated, raw POWER!
                    Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar!

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      true but the bits are good here too
                      Won't argue with that

Comment

Kubuntu offers a compassionate community, the excellence of KDE and the breadth of the Ubuntu ecosystem.

Comment

I have been using Linux and KDE. on and off, since the Caldera Linux days. It used to be a bit of a struggle back then, no proper package management, a lot of win dependent Hw, such as win modems, win printers but lately I have found myself to be a Linux and Kubuntu only user, apart from my work where i have to use XP. No choices there. I have used openSuse for a while and I do like Yast, but as it has been noted in previous posts, the forum here is lot more friendlier than anywhere else. People here really go out of their way to help each other and don't treat anyone like a moron. And it just works beautyfully!
                          Sometimes you just got to sit back for a while and marvel at this whole concept that can produce a wonderfull DE running on a rocksolid OS and then wonder why it hasn’t caught on bigger than it has. I am using my laptop as a media centre, hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and from there into my Hi Fi. When one of my friends commented how primitive Amarok looks compared to Win media centre, I just typed in apt-get install XBMC, and less than 2 minutes later, (Helped no doubt by my SSD) I had a media player installed and configured that wipes the floor with anything that MS has to offer. It is things like that, that blows me, and blew my mate, away. He is thinking of switching now, but as they say: You can lead a horse to water........ I have tried others such as PClinux and Mint KDE, but there is nothing there that will make me chance. And I can't understand why it is languishing in the high twenties on Distrowatch with only one review, while something as average as PClinux is in the top ten. Not for me to criticize other distros, but hey, there is no comparison.

I have 12.04 on the laptop with 12.10 via VMplayer and that is starting to look very good too. My desktop is an iMac with 12.04 via ReFit, but i cannot remember the last time i actually logged in to OSX. Since my laptop is now more or less my media centre, there is no need for Apple tv and like anymore. All in all I am very happy with Kubuntu and have no intension or need to switch to anything else at all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Quoted from the link -

"I don't have an ATI system, so I couldn't test that.
                            If you have an ATI system, please post the steps taken and the results in this thread."

Thats why, right there.

The steps i take to get ATI working on kubuntu is to just install kubuntu.

And thats it. Yes i get updated drivers and play with my graphics modes for games, but it works right out of the box, and in fact if i remember right I believe it prompted me to get a driver update. Kubuntu has always been pretty rock solid and easy to work through problems for me. Ive used some other distros and when something doesnt work right im like "o -expletive-". Maybe im just more used to kubuntu when fixing stuff when i do have issues(which is usually a problem with a program or something im trying to get working). last time i used mint i had an error during setup and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I also had problems getting my wireless hardware working. I love this distro, works great, looks great, has really useful widgets for the desktop(something i miss in xubuntu). and has alot of really good programs pre-loaded. The only other program i wish kubuntu would install default is Yakuake.

Comment

Ya, 'stuck with' wasn't the best choice of words on my part. Kubuntu is a great OS; I have had sound problems in the past, but that has been fixed in recent releases. As I say, I may try the community KDE LMDE spin on my second HDD; but I see no reason to leave Kubuntu.
                              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

When I decided to quit windows I tried Ubuntu but I wasn't too pleased (mainly due to lack of knowledge) and searching for answers at ubuntu-forums was a pain in the a**e, if I got a answer it was above my head. Then I tried the "other" distro on the wubi installer as a live CD. Found this forum and got hooked. Many helped out with different problems like net connection, customization of different sorts and I felt welcomed, without any knowledge. This was when kubuntu was released with KDE 4.1 and nothing "just worked". People hated it - but I loved it, and it gave me some knowledge about Linux and Kubuntu. The fact that every release has been better and better, every single time, makes it hard to leave it. I've tried other Debian based distros but never really liked them.

In fact there are way to few proper KDE distros. I might swim downstream to have a look at Netrunner-OS. Most of all I wish there was a rolling Kubuntu release that's not Deb-Sid - think I value backports ppa more.

Sum of it - best forum in the Linux world, and a hell of a distro - on the edge but stable.
                                b.r

Jonas
                                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                                X