This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build your own computer, an updated version of an old article

For those who have never thought of it..

http://arstechnica.com/ask-ars/2011/...ies-part-i.ars

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Build your own computer, an updated version of an old article

Good article. And of course, building your own PC lets you research all of the components for Linux compatibility before purchase. And our cost is reduced by the fact we don't need to purchase an operating system.

Comment

Here's the last one I built (November):

I did subsequently get a 12-inch cable extender and got that ugly power cable routed behind the motherboard. I was a little surprised to find that Corsair builds a power supply that, when installed in a Corsair case, doesn't have a long enough power cable to be routed properly. That's the stuff you learn as you do the project. I've built about 5 PCs in the past few years, and rebuilt/repaired several others. I like the work -- it's kind of relaxing in a way.

Comment

Another consideration is that once you have built your own computer, future upgrades are less costly. You build the first one with a good case, a good power supply, disk drives, keyboard monitor, mouse, etc. and you keep all of those with your next upgrade.

Comment

That is absolutely true. My wife's present Windows box is the case, keyboard, mouse and monitor from a computer I built in early 2004. Everything inside, except the optical drive and floppy diskette drive, is a more recent vintage. It was originally an AMD CPU on an Asus motherboard, with ATI graphics. In 2008 the original guts all came out, and it got an Intel mobo and CPU, and a new PSU, and an Nvidia card that was no longer new enough for my taste (but kept the mirrored WD-740 drives and the optical drive). Last year it got a new hdd and a reinstallation of the original Win XP. If you buy quality components, and if they survive their first two powerup cycles, then they'll generally last until they're technologically obsolete.

Comment

I built a couple after CompuAd went down. I found that I could get better components and didn't have to worry about the Monday or Friday build syndrome. It also cost the same or less than commercial boxes.

But, alas, I stopped building them when I bought my first laptop, the Gateway 675mpr. I've looked at the possibility of building my own laptop but they do not have a standard chassis or components, and as the price hit the commodity basement I stopped looking into building my own laptop because I couldn't compete.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have seen a couple of threads on other forums where people asked about the possibility of building their own laptop. They gave up. I don't know of anyone who has built their own laptop.

Comment

Hi....

Just my opinion but building a system is not something I would recommend to just anyone.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I think anyone smart enough to run Linux is smart enough to build a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    Hi...

I just meant people in general.

Regards...
                    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      I don't know, Detonate. Most people I know who are running Linux are over 60, have NO previous computer experience except running Windows (which is the same thing) and certainly could NOT build a desktop from parts, even if they had all of them on a table along with printed, step-wise instructions. Most cannot tell the cable modem box from the wireless right beside it.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

smart enough - yes, lacking enough experience and guideness - also yes.

As Detonate says - keeping the good parts as you move forward helps the over-all cost.

The main reason I started building my own (other than cost in the old days) was getting the configuration and componants I wanted, rather than paying for parts I knew I'd have to replace or upgrade.

Another good point: I always tell poeple to focus on the human interface. A nice keyboard, mouse and monitor are way more valuable than a bigger hard drive or slightly faster CPU when it comes to user satisfaction.

[jealousy]
                        Dibl only commented on this post so he could brag about his new monster desktop...
                        [/jealousy]

Please Read Me

Comment

It'd be great if someone could do a do-it-yourself version of the Hot Rod with Kubuntu or Ubuntu. They could have a cool buying guide and how tos and such.

I just put Kubuntu in a Dell 531 with upgraded drives and called it a day. But one of these days I'm definitely going to build me one.

Comment

Just recently I built a computer for my grand daughter. My son was here at the time so I made him assemble it under my supervision. It was a first for him. It went well. The things that seem most difficult for a newbie are learning to apply the thermal compound to the processor and hooking up all of the front panel wiring. Interesting note. The ASUS MB we used came with an adapter to plug the wire into and then merely plug the adapter to the MB. First time I had seen this. I feel confident that my son could do this on his on now. I have a old computer sitting in the corner of the room and our next project will be to upgrade it. This time I am going to let him choose the parts and do the research to purchase them. Which of course, is the most important part of the exercise.

Comment

Nice comments all.

The very first computer that I saw that was assembled by an individual was by an older lady...fifties, with a massive set of disabilities stemming from cancer, and other things.

And she bought junque from yard sales and built her own, operational, computer and installed WinME on it.

The term "building" is no "exactly" correct. The better term would be "assembling" from components.

The one critical, overarching thing about assembling a computer is the "standoffs" they have to be in certain places, which, once the concept is understood, is almost a fool proof thing, but the basic concept of where has to be understood or the mobo has an excellent chance of "shorting out'.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X