This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gmail & chat

I was in academia for 18 years, 10 in HS and 8 in college as a science prof teaching chem, physics, calc, microbio and other subjects. Besides the fact that it doesn't pay well except at the upper echelons, that environment is saturated with folk who went into teaching right after graduation and didn't pay any dues in their area of study. That is, many have NO practical experience in what they are teaching, but they have a HUGE amount of ego and pride. It's worse in the Arts and Humanities because many of them add a huge dose of arrogance to the mix.

The results are obvious. American students rank in the mid-thirties in science and math ability (and most other areas) but are first in self-esteem. With such obvious disparity in science and math knowledge what do our academics recommend? Teaching and improving .... self-esteem. We've moved to bizarro world.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

We are twin sould, GreyGeek

Back to the teleconf software. Yesterday I used Skype's screen share feature. It is great, and pretty useful to show stuff to people who are not savvy enough to open links that you IM them as you speak. I don't think gmail's has this.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        We are twin sould, GreyGeek

Back to the teleconf software. Yesterday I used Skype's screen share feature. It is great, and pretty useful to show stuff to people who are not savvy enough to open links that you IM them as you speak. I don't think gmail's has this.
        NO it dose not............and I agree ......that is a great feature of skype's

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The free version of Skype allows for audio conferencing. This last Xmas my niece (flower girl at my wedding 49 years ago) and my sister had an hour and a half 3-way phone VOIP conversation using Skype.

The free version doesn't allow video conferencing but the commercial version does. It will cost you just $9/month.
          http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/business/group-video/
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek you shure about that....my skype seams to support video and shard API ....and I dont pay for anything?

in fact you and I tested the public API thing once a long time ago........

skype 2.1.0.81 beta

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny, I think we are talking about different things: GG is referring to video conferencing between 3 people or more.

Comment

Vinny, I think we are talking about different things: GG is referring to video conferencing between 3 people or more.
                oops my bad

I was thinking at a 1 one 1 level :P

I'v never tried 3 or more.........sory

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Wait. We are talking about ... skype ... right?

Comment

Wait. We are talking about ... skype ... right?

to-shay you got me

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X