This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gmail & chat :)

I just wanted to say how well the gmail chat works withe our fav. distro .....

not onley can I chat box to my frends/relatives but the video conferencing works perfectly well.

I'v ben using it to talk to my mom in NY from NC me on Kubuntu her on windows and even with my $18 logitech web cam we get really nice video and audio

+ I activated the SMS lab and can send text messages to phones ........or call any whare in the US for free.......(SMS lab not required for phone calls).............SWEET.

well just check it out......and if you want to test it and don't know any one using gmail I'm

charles.v.wright@gmail.com if I'm not on just email me a time for a test run

☯VINNY☯
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: gmail & chat

Very cool! Hey did you install the Google chat as a Firefox add-on or was it a client that you installed?

Comment

I didn't half to install any thing I go to my gmail through firefox and it just works.

now my cam already worked with cheese and mic already worked so...........when I went to the google settings page through my gmail and whint to the chat tab my cam and sound were already detected

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

I used gmail VOIP to talk to my brother-in-law earlier this week. We tried it as aa experiment. It worked very well. When you click the box with the upward pointing diagonal arrow in it the video becomes a separate frame which you can drag around the screen and enlarge. It also includes simultaneous texting.

What it can't do is send files back and forth or share your screen the way Skype can. But, it doesn't try to create a supernode on your computer the way Skype does if it sees you have a big bandwidth.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i have been using google video to talk to a few people after testing with GreyGeek a while back. and it works nicely even with my cheepo web cam. the phone call service is nice too since my phone is a pos. one important thing i have found w/ the google video is that it only works in firefox (and i think opera) it does not work in rekonq. and i can't seam to get the video part working with kopete, but i seam to remember getting it sorta working on pidgin.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

NICE. Does it work in Google Chrome? I use skype to talk to my family. It has also worked well, for the last several years. I will test here with a couple computers. Thanks for the heads up, Vinny!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              NICE. Does it work in Google Chrome? I use skype to talk to my family. It has also worked well, for the last several years. I will test here with a couple computers. Thanks for the heads up, Vinny!
              I don't Know I haven't tried it withe chrome yet.........hit me up
              ya skype dose well to but getting mom to use google was easer than getting her to install skype

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

well it checks out on the verify you settings page in chrome
                so I assume it dose.......

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

It did ask me to install something, though, it is a browser extension. No biggie

Comment

I'll be on chrome the rest of the day if you want to try it .....my gmail is in the top post

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks a lot Vinny, we already tested quite a bit, though, (and it's sunny and beautiful in the San Francisco (California) area, we'll be going out soon). Video/sound quality are very similar in Skype and GoogleTalk. But the Google voice app seems more promising: you can move around the little square where your own image is shown. The only advantage with Skype is that it is a standalone app.

Is there such a thing for Google video? Can you launch a "widget" or something that will stay docked like with Skype? Having to run a full browser and login to your gmail account seems a bit of a drag ...

Comment

keeping this short, since people may frequent other forii.

I have done gmail and gdocs as a "proof of concept" for the college to do inventory online and the gmail visit to maintain it in real time.

However, as with all of the college establishments where they are MUCH smarter than you or I.......they opt....as do they allll....

For a "Windows compliant" ....... inventory control system that does LESS than google docs....and ....ummm

costs..........BIG BUCKS....

but that is what one gets from the academic elites who are MUCH smarter than you or I.....after they are college purfessors.....

>

woodfrustratedsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                          I just used it with the latest Chromium Web Browser. While experimenting I got a popup telling me I had another YEAR of free phone calls to any phone in the US. I called my wife, setting on the couch next to my recliner and it worked beautifully.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke

but that is what one gets from the academic elites who are MUCH smarter than you or I.....after they are college purfessors.....
                            Yes, I worked a long time in the Academia. It was embarrassing to see so many colleagues use MS "technologies" (windows, word, etc), when they had the freedom and the opportunity to use real open tools like LaTeX, Linux, etc ...

Comment

The academic elites don't know what they're missing. You use your brain and innovate more with open source technologies. Man I get much more work done on my Linux machine. I love it. And it's kinda cool that Google is backing Linux, even though they are a big corporation who could turn evil on us . But It's cool that they've gotten their chat client working well on our favorite OS.

Comment

Working...
                              X