• Show
Clear All

new rolling release Mint based on Debian

Title says it all.

Main things:
    - rolling release, no broken version updates
    - based on Debian, not Ubuntu

Here is the blurb: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527

Seems like a damn good idea if you ask me. Have just installed in virtualbox
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: new rolling release Mint based on Debian

It seems that the Mint fanboys are doing a lot to push their product.

Crunchbanglinux for a while has been based on Debian Squeeze - Openbox and Xfce versions.

I'm just using Debian Squeeze at the moment...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It seems that the Mint fanboys are doing a lot to push their product.
      And it being new and only the second rolling release distro in the Debian world (that I know of) so they should!

But this particular product cannot be based on Squeeze as otherwise it would be bound to releases. It is more like Sidux based on a mix of experimental and testing repos.

I just find it fantastic that the Linux world is beginning to break through this whole release-disaster inherited from other OSs.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

But this particular product cannot be based on Squeeze
        From YOUR post toad!

2. Is LMDE fully compatible with Debian?

Yes, 100%. LMDE is compatible with repositories designed for Debian Testing or Debian Squeeze.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ha! Shows you how I delved into it Thanks, arochester.

Comment

There will be neither a 64-bit version nor a Kde version, so that disqualifies it already.
            Besides that, even if there was, I still wouldn't have high hopes, given how badly Mint 9 Kde sucked.
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Hm, I've installed it now and put vanilla kde on. Works fine, but the non-existence of 64-bit is indeed a show stopper, if you have more than 3GB RAM. If it takes off, however, I'm sure they will release one.

I've never tried Mint before but am just impressed that, let's say everything else fails, one has a Distro at one's disposal which plays everything, no questions asked.

Having said all that, I dare say it will not replace my trusted Arch install

Comment

From what i've read on the Mint Forums, i think their plan is that if they can get the 32 bit version to the point where it is identical to their main edition in quality, and the popularity and demand for the debian version is there, they will consider expanding into 64 bits, kde, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
                  There will be neither a 64-bit version nor a Kde version, so that disqualifies it already.
                  Besides that, even if there was, I still wouldn't have high hopes, given how badly Mint 9 Kde sucked.
                  I have the latest MINT 9 KDE installed as a guest OS. It is a VERY NICE KDE 4.4.2. Well polished. But, I won't switch to it because I prefer Kubuntu's release model. (Front edge, ASAP!)

So, they are letting go of the Ubuntu teat and striking out on their own to take advantage of being higher up on the food chain. Indeed, they are will now become a direct daughter of the Debian Mother Ship! That may be a good thing IF they haven't under estimated how much human and hardware resources will be required to sustain their project. If they have then they have created another NIJA loan and will soon be under water. Already they have told those who prefer to run a 64bit OS on their 64bit hardware good-bye. Ditto with those who prefer KDE to Gnome. I don't know how much of their user base fits those categories, but it can't be a good thing.

Now, plying on their reputation for releasing well polished Ubuntu derivatives, they become a direct competitor to Ubuntu without depending on Ubuntu. I suspect that one can expect their "polish" to disappear for several releases as they push man-power and resources to the limits ... and beyond?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    Title says it all.

Main things:
                    - rolling release, no broken version updates
                    - based on Debian, not Ubuntu

Here is the blurb: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527

Seems like a damn good idea if you ask me. Have just installed in virtualbox
                    I already like Mint, so maybe this is a project worth my attention (contribution).
                    Don&#39;t blame me for being smarter than you, that&#39;s your parent&#39;s fault.

Comment

Money, talent or both?

Either way, I'd wager they will appreciate your contribution. 8)
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Don't know yet. 8)
                        Don&#39;t blame me for being smarter than you, that&#39;s your parent&#39;s fault.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          ... they become a direct competitor to Ubuntu without depending on Ubuntu.
                          Well, I reckon they seek quite a different customer base as the nature of a rolling release is quite different to the current mainstream "to heck with what I had and let's reinstall" mentality. This requires users to be somewhat more involved and aware.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          I suspect that one can expect their "polish" to disappear for several releases ...?
                          Good call.

Comment

<~ Admit to downloading and running the live cd. Its nice enough but there was nothing to draw me in.

What I like about Mints Gnome is unlike kde distros there is some continuity to the menu and control center. kde without a lot of distro based customization takes over the system.

I still prefer kde but edits to user login features ect.. could be smoother. KDE is still trying find itself. Is it a desktop or a laptop ? Put it on an SSD and it could be both I guess.

kde 4.5 was such a mess I can understand why a lot of people would like LMDE. Now that Dolphin can be used again in 4.5.1 with dbus=<1.4 but how many stable linux's are able to keep up with kde demands for the latest greatest? Let alone some poor system admins who have to rollout updates.

All that aside under the hood an out of date kernel and issues with gnome networkmanager make it yet another coaster.

Rolling with Anti-X or Sidux just makes more sense to me.

On the live cd it was really light on resources something like 125mbs or memory or so. It might find a niche with the light-weight category. Overall I like it am interested but...

To Mint users it could be something like the Holy Grail no longer able to blame everything on Ubuntu base. Sounds like it brings in kde SC 4.5.0 from the experimental testing repo.

I really wanted to like it. Its Mint its Debian but its not for me yet. Improve the installer, networking for mobile devices and use a 2.6.35 kernel and I might have come onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                              Well, I reckon they seek quite a different customer base as the nature of a rolling release is quite different to the current mainstream "to heck with what I had and let's reinstall" mentality. This requires users to be somewhat more involved and aware.
                              The only problem with a rolling release is that you have to get on board at or pretty soon after the initial release, because 6 months or a year down the road and you'll have a TON of files download and update and coming to the party that late becomes a REAL pain. A year would be unthinkable. Not having a point release for a year would pretty much, IMO, kill off the attraction of new users. Especially if they don't own a fast broadband connection like mine, which can pull down files at nearly 2 Mb/sec.

Comment

Working...
                              X