This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista and Aero

KDE will always be better than any Windows product!
    You have to remember how Windows is written.
    It is a half baked UNIX and DOS.
    UNIX and LINUX are better written and NOT half baked.

I used UNIX years ago, then had to use Window because of my job.
    And still have to at work. I help support about 3000 PCs/Laptops using Windows.
    I go nuts trying to updating/rebuilding them.

I started using Kubuntu on an old PC I have at home and it is sooooooo
    much better then Windows.
    I can not wait until I can get a newer PC to use Kubunu.

Comment

Most of the new features in Vista have already been done in a linux environment anyway, yes they take ram and cpu load but what eye candy doesnt? Aerio Glass effects....3d desktops are they really needed in a productive environment yet? The code is not optimized (its bloated) full of more security vulnerabilities, they are updating software packages that are already aged with better graphics basically. A browser so full of holes because they dont like to keep it updated, AND lets Not FORGET DRM managment all through it.
      Linux for life!
      &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

Yeah the bloat and the DRM lol i think windows is killing themselves. if this doesnt hurt them in the mains stream section its going to take anthor main blow in the comercial agian. thank god i will be juming **** with out knowlge of linux. lol i can see it now be waves and flodes so big people can anser all the old windows users questions.

Comment

I tried beta 2 of Vista for a couple of weeks, as an XP user at the time. It was definitely an improvement on XP in many areas, but to an average user, most of those improvements were aesthetic ones.

On this laptop (3Ghz P4, 768Mb,Intel graphics) Vista CRAWLED, and by average standards, this machine is by no means outdated. But by Vista's own hardware analyzer thing, it scored 1 (the lowest category). So most of the big selling points of vista will be unavailable to the average joe with a dell, unless they upgrade their hardware significantly. You shouldn't have to have a $300 graphics card and 2Gb of RAM to type up some reports and check your email, but Vista seems to make it that way. Yes, people can stick with XP, but as has been shown with Win98, support for XP will slowly die off, with hardware and software support by third party companies only providing support for vista, and , with the introduction of DX10, games only being able to be run on Vista (AFAIK, DX10 won't be coming to XP).
          ATM, KDE might not be a match for the graphical might of vista, but the major difference is...Vista will cost, at a guess $200 upwards, judging from XP prices...I shudder to think what the full flavoured version will cost. And Kubuntu? They don't even charge postage

Comment

Well, While Windows got DirectX, we got OpenGL (which Window has as well anyway lol). So it is always possible to get 3D windows and other kinds of eyecandy on linux. The only thing is we need a developer to make some kind of a Desktop Environment in order to support it.

Opensource always catches up, I guess..

anyway.. those who have problems with the way Vista requires a good graphics card for displaying windows could just turn off the 3D windows features.. I dont see why people are complaining.. lol

Comment

(Is this considered bumping? The topic was up top...)

I love Kubuntu.

I totally hate Vista.

One thing that made my day to a point where I jumped up (And nearly punched a hole in the ceiling!) was when I read at desktoplinux.com, that Mike Dell wanted to move away from Winblows. That's a pretty big achievement. The biggest problem that they have, though, is to deal with all the choices. Novell, Red Hat, Canonical, Mandriva, Linspire, who to have on their side?

I think they'll go with SUSE, (K/X)Ubuntu, as well as possibly Mandriva, Red Hat for business customers, and Linspire for those in the US. I have no idea if community or business editions would be used by a OEM like Dell or HP. [Linspire for the US only, because it's the only place in the world where people are stupid enough to consider playing DVDs on a free system is worthy of the title of "crime".]

But I really pity the fool who buys Vista. I'm doing my part in convincing friends and family to at least try out Kubuntu, and I've given them a huge list of alternatives. The biggest problem, for me at least, in converting people to open-source is the "Too good to be true" phenomena.

Comment

Working...
              X