This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista and Aero

What do you think about the soon to be released Aero Desktop for Windows in terms of comparison with KDE or maybe Kubuntu's setup of KDE? Just something I've been thinking about lately as a lot of people I'm sure have been considering all the buzz about possible new interface concepts in KDE4, which unfortunately will probably not be out until 6 months or so after Vista's release. I know the first response from many might be something like "winbloze sux! who cares about Vista?", but even though I'm not a windows user or advocate, I'm still interested in how linux desktops compete or do not with proprietary operating systems.

Re: Windows Vista and Aero

Hi, daniel2501. I am not aware of how the new desktop in vista works, but I know that with a little bit of time learning and using KDE and Kubuntu/Linux, I am a much happier old PC user. It's free, it's free, and it just works beautifully, and I am using KDE3.5. I now refuse to go back to my old XP machine.
    OK, let me be the first.................."winbloze sux! who cares about Vista".

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Lol! Good to hear that yet an other Windows user has crossed over to "the dark side"
      If you like KDE 3.5 then you're probably interested in the proposed features of KDE4. You can check it out:
      http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Projects
      http://plasma.kde.org/
      http://www.oxygen-icons.org/

Comment

The number of times Vista has been put back, and the number of once-flagship features that have been dropped, we may well be on KDE 5 before we can do a comparison...

Comment

"The number of times Vista has been put back, and the number of once-flagship features that have been dropped, we may well be on KDE 5 before we can do a comparison..."

To my knowledge very few vista features (aside from the new file system which will be available about 6 mo after the Vista release) have actually been dropped from the final product. Features have been removed temporarily from Beta versions of Vista for stability purposes and simply because the particular project was not ready yet.

The new features in Vista are going to be significant. Yes, a lot of them have been borrowed from Apple and some 3rd party applications, but let's try to think of a few gui features that are completely origninal to an OS... I'm trying to remember what OS Kubuntu models it's gui after....

And I hate to say it, but the new Vista gui will be lightyears ahead of KDE when it's released. Each window will be able to be rendered as it's own 3-d surface creating a world of options for skinning and ...well... decorating windows. Obviously this is going to require a better graphics card to run, but isn't it about time we are ABLE (not forced--as you can revert to classic windows OR XP themes) to take advantage of some of the graphics processing capabilities many of our machines have now a days? I mean, up until Vista, windows was still using the same gui API as windows 3.1 Now when you're not gaming, you can put that $200-500 graphics card to some good use!

Please don't hate me for being informed about Vista...

Oh, and take what I said with a small grain of salt. I didn't double check the facts as i wrote this, but I do recall reading everything I have mentioned from legit sources.

Comment

well i dont use kde for its eye candy, i use it because linux is better than windows and kde's features are a bonus. the only thing i really get into is the multiple desktops.

but closed source will never compete with open source, never.
            apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

"but closed source will never compete with open source, never."

WHA!?!

OH! You must mean that closed source will never compete with open source...because it will never have to. I get it now. heh.

How-- and SPECIFICALLY in what way-- is linux superior to Windows? I'm honestly not trying to start an argument here. It's been bugging me the last week. I cannot figure out why Linux has such strong advocates. I mentioned some of my thoughts in this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3372.0

please provide your response there to avoid hijacking this thread.

Comment

If you guys agree ? I can merge all the Lista (Linux, Vista) threads
                cheers!
                -=|From the desk of|=-
                «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
                «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
                «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
                Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

It's all about choices. We have them, we use them.

Lowey
                  I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi,

first post here

it would be very hard to copy the aero glas effects, because that is not only "images" but has more to do with directx and costs a lot of grakas memory

Comment

Originally posted by ericesque

To my knowledge very few vista features (aside from the new file system which will be available about 6 mo after the Vista release) have actually been dropped from the final product. Features have been removed temporarily from Beta versions of Vista for stability purposes and simply because the particular project was not ready yet.
                      Originally posted by ericesque
                      And I hate to say it, but the new Vista gui will be lightyears ahead of KDE when it's released. Each window will be able to be rendered as it's own 3-d surface creating a world of options for skinning and ...well... decorating windows. Obviously this is going to require a better graphics card to run, but isn't it about time we are ABLE (not forced--as you can revert to classic windows OR XP themes) to take advantage of some of the graphics processing capabilities many of our machines have now a days? I mean, up until Vista, windows was still using the same gui API as windows 3.1 Now when you're not gaming, you can put that $200-500 graphics card to some good use!

Please don't hate me for being informed about Vista...

Oh, and take what I said with a small grain of salt. I didn't double check the facts as i wrote this, but I do recall reading everything I have mentioned from legit sources.
                      Forgive me for pissing in your parade, eriesque, but are being somewhat silly about what you are saying.

You said that you are informed about Vista and I really believe that you honestly feel you are. But let me ask you this: regarding the Vista info you have, where does the marketing stops and where do the technical facts start?

The information about vista which is released is done not by the engineer working on the project but by Microsoft's marketing department. The problem with that is that the information which is provided to the public is that it isn't based on real system capabities and concrete functionality. It is, in fact, only designed to create hype, create the impression that the product is greater than Jesus. To achive that, the information is very only loosely based on technical facts and completely filled with "marketing speak". After all, how could they base their press releases on concrete facts if they don't even know what their product will be, what will it really do and what system specifications does the computer need to do it?

The only information which resembles concrete facts is the minimal system specifications to run vista, which was compiled from MS's marketing campain. If you didn't knew, it is estimated that only nearly half of the world's computer will be able to run vista's 3D inferface. That means that the new functionality, which is being hyped by vista's marketing campain and you just reiterated here, will be more system-demanding than even some current games.

To me that means that Vista will be a memorable bloatfest of an OS. Some people complain about KDE because they say that the desktop environment is bloated. But truth be told, KDE over linux runs easily in a 800MHz processor with less than 128MB of RAM. Do you remember the time when an OS with a functional GUI would run on a Pentium and with less than 128MB of RAM? I do because that time is now. On the other hand, I don't remember the time when a windows version could do that, at least keeping itself useable and, at least according to MS's press releases, it will not be the case with Vista.

So, answer me this: where, in fact, will vista's DE be better than KDE if it will needs a graphics card with a 3-digit pricetag in euros just to render a freakin' window?

P.S.: FYI, the current KDE version supports custom skinning of individual windows and it does it with less than 128MB of RAM. It doesn't render them in 3D but who the hell needs a 3D UI in every window?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBunzinni
                        But truth be told, KDE over linux runs easily in a 800MHz processor with less than 128MB of RAM. Do you remember the time when an OS with a functional GUI would run on a Pentium and with less than 128MB of RAM? I do because that time is now. On the other hand, I don't remember the time when a windows version could do that, at least keeping itself useable and, at least according to MS's press releases, it will not be the case with Vista.
                        I don't usually post in stuff like this, but I was bored and the wife has fallen asleep. Motif (or FVWM) and Windows 3 used to run very nicely in less than 4Mb of ram ... I miss those days.

Windows Vista is being made how it is to keep making money in a competitive world, Joe public typically wanters into PC World looking for something that he can brag about to his mates, but will very rarely venture outside of Internet Explorer - that, along with the techno-sheep, is Microsoft's target early adopters; the fact it doesn't work on older machines is irrelevant to MS.

From what I've seen it could look very pretty, and it has some good features listed (I love the new Start menu for lazy people that install 500 pieces of Shareware, then can't find Word or whatever). Using 3D cards could prove to be a winner in the long term for MS, as skinning becomes ever more intricate it allows for more work to be taken from the CPU.

Can KDE compete? Of course it can, provided those who plan its development take a similarly long-term view. KDE 4 will probably prove to be the pinacle of 2D windowing systems ... but where will it go from there?

Comment

I thought this was quite ironic... here's Microsoft's list of features for Vista, as displayed in my web browser...

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sjoh2340/vista.jpg

Comment

JamesM: I LOVE IT ! I laughed out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBunzinni

To me that means that Vista will be a memorable bloatfest of an OS. Some people complain about KDE because they say that the desktop environment is bloated. But truth be told, KDE over linux runs easily in a 800MHz processor with less than 128MB of RAM. Do you remember the time when an OS with a functional GUI would run on a Pentium and with less than 128MB of RAM? I do because that time is now. On the other hand, I don't remember the time when a windows version could do that, at least keeping itself useable and, at least according to MS's press releases, it will not be the case with Vista.
                              I have to go with "GreatBunzinni" on this one... First off I am a die hard Windows Nerd that is wanting to get away from the world of MS to try Linux, well I really have been playing around with linux for about 6 years. Anyway, Vista(Longhorn) is extremely Top Heavy. Not only will there be 6 different flavors of Vista, (had to make one that would run on a slow POS) The betas were eating 400MB of ram out of the box. 400MB I dont have a slow system by any means but this sucker was eating my system up. I had to put it on my main system to get all the vistuals to run nicely. Honestly I cant tell you how the newest build is cause I dont have it yet (5308) but i have used all the other ones and it is still filled with bugs. The over head on this OS is going to kill most computers out on the market today. Period. unless everyone comes with a FX5200 128MB Graphics card. Linux is getting a little big on the diskspace but I love Kubuntu because of the 1 Cd install.
                              That is my 2¢. MS is going to force most everyone to get a new PC with this new OS. and I really dont think it much different than XP. And dont get me started on the indexing system...

Dice

Comment

Working...
                              X