No announcement yet.

Laptop fan never stops even when laptop is asleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This totally sounds like an ACPI and/or APM problem. Did you state the make/model of the laptop? If so I didn't see it. That model doesn't exist as far as I can tell via web searching.

EDIT: Finally found a Geekbench report. but that's it so far...
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 06, 2023, 12:14 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

That model appears to be marketed in Japan.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry I took a while to get back to you, here are the results:

Kubuntu 23.04 Live USB
        Same ACPI errors as my current SSD install, fan doesn't stop in sleep mode

Tuxedo OS 2-202307061627 Live USB
        No ACPI errors showed up on screen, but my laptop manufacturer logo was on screen for the entire boot process so they could have been there, just covered up by the logo. The fan doesn't stop in sleep mode

KDE Neon user-20230706-0717 Live USB
        Same ACPI errors as my current SSD install plus another error:
        Code:
        [ 51.408943] Bluetooth: hci0: Malformed MSFT vendor event: 0x02
        Image: https://imgur.com/a/hwBXCiK
        ​The fan did stop in sleep mode! Success!

Judging from the comparison table you linked for me, I'm guessing that it's a kernel problem? But then how would I go about fixing it? Do I file a bug report upstream somewhere?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to reload the page before posting this, yes this is a Laptop I bought in Japan. Here's a link to the original page I bought it from, https://dynabook.com/direct/onyx-blu...mv7ebl-ho.html. It doesn't seem to have a language selector, though, so you might have to run it through Google Translate or something. Sorry about that.
        Last edited by Kaz49; Jul 12, 2023, 05:47 AM.

Comment

So if it is a kernel issue to get the proper sleep behaviour it seems that you might have to use KDE neon or Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (with the 5.19.x kernel) and Kubuntu and Ubuntu Backports (if you want to have some newer stuff like KDE Gear or LibreOffice for 22.04) until the kernel issue in 6.2.x has been fixed or it is replaced by the 6.3.x or 6.4.x kernel…
          If the proper sleep behaviour is important to you.

-> Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings

PS: I don't know if a bug report will do any good at this time - isn't the 6.2.x kernel to be replaced soon?
          The admins here will probably know more…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 12, 2023, 06:58 AM. Reason: added PS
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Okay, I think I'll wait for the next major kernel update and see what happens for now, leaving the fan spinning hasn't affected battery life as much as I expected so I think I'm all right with letting it be for now. I don't really have the time to do a full distro hop right now anyways, and I like how well supported Kubuntu is.

Thank you for helping me out!

Comment

Working...
            X